Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy from Connecticut

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by terrysumner, Mar 21, 2009.

1. terrysumner

terrysumner

Hello all,

Doing the intro thing as requested...

57 years old retired Ct State Police Sgt. 13 years ago..almost! Been a gearhead since I was 12 when I got my first ride in a hot rod and the driver burned the tires for a couple of hundred feet! My first good car was a 66 Chevelle SS396 I bought in 1969 for $1200!!! Try that today right?
    Had a lot of other muscle cars after that one. I worked at Connecticut Dragway from 71 - 73 as one of the 3 announcers up in the booth. Got paid $20 a Sunday and all the hockey puck burgers and dogs I could eat! LOL
    Was a lot of fun until I got accepted to the CSP academy and they told me I couldn't have any outside jobs! Was a tool & die maker before that and now in retirement spend a lot of time in my new garage/workshop. I've been dreaming of having my own shop for my entire adult life. Finally was in the position to build my dream a year and a half ago. You can see photos of it on my Fotki page here... http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/ Look in the album titled "Manland". It's 24 X 48, 2 story. Got a lift in it and many of the tools needed for some good work hopefully!

I have no fun cars right now as I sold my 87 Vette recently. My next dream to fulfill is to build a hot rod. Something common and easy to build like a deuce roadster. Maybe in a year or two...

Been married to my lovely wife Carolyn for 27 years now. Have 4 kids...35, 33, 25 and 23. Also 3 grandkids! Both sons are gearheads too! Oldest son is a Trooper and has a Bourget custom bike, youngest son has a softail Harley and a 2000 Z-28.

I'm big into modeling and build cars and airplanes. I understand there is a modeling section here somewhere?

Well that's about it I guess...nothing much...just a regular guy.

Thanks a lot for letting me in.

Terry Sumner

2. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Terry, Hello & Welcome to the HAMB from South Texas.

Lucky667

3. slick a&t

slick a&t

Welcome'from another H.A.M.B.er in CT

4. Rooney00

Rooney00

5. bu341wm

bu341wm
    from Ocala FL

I guess you would remember Nick Pamarone from Groton. Nick also announced and ran a fuel bike. My brother bought his 427 El Camino from Nick. I had a 327 Elk at the time. Played some tricks on fellow submariners. Was a charter member of Danbury Cambusters before I joined the Navy.
    regards, Bullsnipe

6. shoebox72

shoebox72

Welcome Aboard!

Billy

7. terrysumner

terrysumner

Yeah...Nick was the "Main" guy. He always did all the big shows...like whenever the funny cars or pro stocks came. I was the rookie so I never got to announce on those days. There were 3 of us announcers back then...me, Nick and another fellow by the name of Billy Griggs as I recall. Griggs used to run a 57 Chevy wagon in something like T/SA and won a trophy every time he ran due to no other competition in his class! LOL But he was a great guy...helped me out a lot. Nick had that great voice for the "SUNDAY..SUNDAY...SUNDAY" ads on the radio! Is he still around?

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Add another welcome!!

9. welcome from oregon