Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Gray Hair in Arizona

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by T McG, Feb 15, 2005.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Ok, I've been here a couple of years and finally have some time to myself. (Got the kid her own computer) As for my backround, I grew up at the dragstrip that my Uncle owned in western Pennsylvania in the days before huge corporate budgets. My Dad ran a small body shop doing custom work when bondo was not an option. (He once repaired a rusty 56 Lincoln that took 55 lbs of lead!) I started out at a Chevy dealer out of high school, went into the tool & die trade, then to a huge fabrication shop, then into self employment in the Hot Rod buisness. I got tired of rotted cars and shoveling my way to the garage, sold almost everything and moved to Tucson. Went to work as a manager of what I thought was a top notch shop, (what a joke) and then back to self employment with another Rod shop.(Didn't learn from the first experience,although I did have a lot of fun, and met some great people including my employees). After five years of chasing people for money, I decided this self employed thing wasn't for me. Moved again to work for a high profile rod shop (a legit one this time), but unfortunately health issues finally forced me into a desk job within the hot rod buisness.What did all this get me? Lots of stress, headaches and gray hair that falls out on a daily basis. I've worked on many mega-buck cars, but the bottom line is I would rather go back to Paso, or Viva any day of the week over a "normal" rod run full of trophy chasers. I've watched all the gold chainers come into this sport and drive the cost of everything out of site, and complain about cars with primer, or no paint at all. They have no idea how much fun it really is to drive a car with a split windshield any further than to where their trailer is parked. Enough about that, I have a 39 Chevy coupe that I have driven almost 100,000 miles, a 50 Chevy truck that was supposed to be my shop truck, and a 58 Impala that I've had for 32 years. The truck is underway again with a typical small block, but I grafted a complete dash from a 56 Olds and a steering column from a 59 Olds with that 13" deep wheel. I'll have some pictures soon. Everybody here is fortunate to have a website with all the knowledge that is available to you, without having to have a spent a nickle! Try and go to the typical rod shop to get the advice you can get here, and see how much help they are. (Some are) I'm also long winded, but as I said I've waited a couple of years to come in, sorry for the long intro!

2. jonnycola

jonnycola

Let me be the first to welcome you to the hamb. Looks like you'll be a great asset to this place.

3. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

4. Holy Shit, talk about " been there, done that"! Welcome to the fray.-MIKE:D :cool:

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Welcome, Gray Hair...

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Welcome from a new guy in Illinois.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I fixed up your intro a bit. :eek:

Now isn't that easier to read ;) :D

Welcome to the HAMB:cool:

8. 30roadster

30roadster

denise you crack me up:D

Howdy and Welcome!

9. BigJim394

BigJim394

Welcome aboard...sounds like you have some nice vehicles.

10. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Hey, thanks a lot for the fix up. I feel like I got a new suit! Angled font is harder to read for guys with bi-focals!

11. Welcome...From one who is going grey fast

12. deluxester

deluxester

Great intro! Welcome to the HAMB.

13. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Welcome from another gray beard. I swear the inside of my electric razor looks like a snow storm! With your history, you should have a good time here. :cool:

pigpen

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

well, its better to be going grey, then goin topless... 'less of course ya riding in Denise's bigolds! :D ( the cars top guys,,, keep ya tongues in ya face) :eek:

Welcome to da HAMB from Minne-so-cold :D . got some nice projects goin i seen in your other post.. keep the pics comming!

Traves

15. Welcome to the HAMB! :) HRP

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Welcome love to see some pics..

17. gman

gman

Ah yes, lead. I remember. Welcome from another gray. At that Pa. dragstrip ever run into a kid name Ozzie (Bll Osborne I believe, who move to Missouri when he was maybe 17?) He had a 40 ford when I met him. My first 49 never would have gotten done without him.

18. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Welcome from OKC!