Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New GPS speedometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-stig, Jun 25, 2013.

1. So, I got a new GPS speedometer for my 56 Fairlane.
    The install was a breeze, just hook up about six wires and set the antenna on the dash and it's done. It takes about 1 or 2 minutes for it to acquire a signal each time I start the car, not too big a deal.
    The main problem is, it's 4½ inches across, smaller than the stock speedo by about ½ an inch and the Stewart Warner gauges I have are smaller than the stock gauges so I had to make a cover for the gauges.
    I cut out a panel from a sheet of aluminum I had bought to make my fan shroud.
    Don't worry, this is the back side.
    [​IMG]

Cut out the holes for the gauges, 2 1/8 for the gauges with a hole saw, leaves about 1/16 inch of slop. Cut the hole for the speedo with a saber saw and dressed it with a dremel.
    [​IMG]

A little polishing and it doesn't look too bad. I only have the two gauges now, still need the oil pressure & gas gauge.
    [​IMG]

This is how it will look in the dash.
    [​IMG]

Here is the antenna, I had to drill a 3/8 hole in the defroster trim to run the wire through.
    [​IMG]

Here they are installed. I bought a column cover from a stick shift but the mounting holes don't line up with my column and since there is no room for me to mount a high beam indicator above my speedo, I'm going to mount the signal indicators and high beam where the gear indicator would go below the speedo, I'll be using LEDs for these.
    [​IMG]

welderdave562 likes this.
  2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Nice. Since you didn't ask, I think a little engine turning would look killer.

3. Looks good. X2 on the engine turning suggestion.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Now that's traditional. No doubt about it.