Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Glass Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sconnors, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Looking for some recommendations on where to buy glass. My next big project for next year on my 1950 Buick Special is going to be to have the weatherstripping replaced on the windshield and rear window. The gasket set for both is a little over $500 from Steele Rubber and I've seen windshields online for around $500.

My question is, does anyone know of or can recommend a place to buy a split windshield for a 50 Buick? I figure if I'm going to replace the weatherstripping I might as well replace the glass as it's got some dings and hazing on it now.

Any recommendations?
    Thanks in advance for any help as it's always appreciated
    Scott

2. That's a little steep for flat glass. Just go to a glass place with the old windshield to use as a pattern and have them cut new glass for it.

3. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Call Todd at Vintage Glass.. Just bought my windshield from him..
    He is straight up...

Todd 860-872-0018 Or send him a pm.. wouldnt hurt.. he is vintageglass here on the hamb..

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

ANY reputable glass company can get you decent prices on windshield glass...shop around some. I've gotten prices on a '55 Cadillac windshield (and they are one-of-a-kind -only fitting '54-'56 Cads and some large Buicks same years) ranging from $1200 installed all the way down to $450.00 installed (less rubber of course).

Flat glass can be cut- go with safety plate (laminated)...be it smoked, tinted or plain...and that shouldn't cost you a ton of money either.

R-

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

6. Architectural glass with the AS-1 certification is 100% street legal and any good glass shop can cut it for you. The little AS-1 Logo around glass shops is nicknamed the " Bug " , ask the glass shop to cut the glass so the bug is in one of the corners. Usually pick the lower or upper passenger side. This way no one in law enforcement can hassle you. Your in N.Y. so you have the registration and inspection sticker in the lower left, put the bug on the other side. Even your yearly state insopection can fail you for not having laminated safety glass with the correct logo. I'm going on the fact that the other members said it is flat glass. Yes you can get it pre-tinted also. TR

7. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

The windshields on a '50 Buick are curved and therefore cannot be cut out of flat glass. I have found a pair of new GBN (green tint/blue shade) windshields and can have them drop shipped right to your front door for $410 each. I know it sounds kinda steep, but I looked for them at a couple different sources that I use and these were the only pair I could find so they probably figure they got the corner on the market.

PM me if you're interested!

Thanks for the heads up, Verbal Kint!

8. 440hudson

440hudson
    Alliance Vendor

Scott,

We have the windshields in clear, green or the green with the shade band for $475.00 for the pair and we also carry all the Steele rubber products. Join the Hamb alliance and I can give you a 5% discount on the glass and a 20% discount on anything from Steele. The discounts will pay for your alliance cost. We also carry the side windows in clear or any tint. Give us a call on our toll free number 1-800-624-2130 and we can go over your project. Later, Bob