Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Gas Tank or Renew?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRMB, Jun 26, 2013.

1. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

My '58 Ford's gas tank is pretty shot. Do I buy a new tank from Mac's for $325 or do tank renew for $325?

The new tank will take almost 2 weeks to get here. The tank renew will take 3-5 days.

Staying with my old tank means I wont have to worry about compatibility will everything.

I'm looking at tank renew http://www.gastankrenu.com/index.htm

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no brainer. get a new tank.

I did some work on a 1940 Ford truck that had been built in the 80's. the tank had been renewed by coating the insides with some sort of silver stuff, which was now falling off and clogging everything up. fixed it with a new tank.

3. I did some work on a 1940 Ford truck that had been built in the 80's. the tank had been renewed by coating the insides with some sort of silver stuff, which was now falling off and clogging everything up. fixed it with a new tank.[/QUOTE]

Damn, just had a 61 ranch wagon tank done because no one makes a replacement. Cost me 500 because of its size and internal baffles, hope mine doesn't start coming apart.

4. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Get the new tank, that shit gas we use now will eat up the coating. Then it will clog your fuel line. It happened to me a couple of years ago when I was driving my car about 300 miles from home.

5. henry29

henry29

I have Red-Kote in one of my tanks, no problem at all after 7 years.
    Gas is 10% ethanol here.

$25 a quart and you can do it yourself.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i would put in a new tank. tanks inc. should have something to fit . i went with the plastic tank from them on several builds. no rust. give them your measurements.

7. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

Thanks Y'all. I dropped my tank off at the radiator shop to have them renew it. This looks like a very professional operation - comes with a lifetime warranty - and reviews were good.

it's also a lot quicker and no worries about compatibility.

8. I wish you luck,,having done this in the past and being left on the side of the road 300 miles from home when the renew material broke down and clogged the fuel line and filters.

Hopefully you won't have the problem I did. HRP

9. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

See my custom user title? Where it says FNG? That means I'm SUPPOSED to make stupid mistakes! :)

I'm just antzy and want to get this car going - the sooner the better!

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

New tank all the way

11. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Had a car in the shop 2 years ago that had been Renewed (Renu?) in about 96, it was leaking again. They fixed it again, no questions asked.