Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New fuel pump, now carb floods.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KLGreen, Jun 6, 2014.

1. KLGreen

KLGreen
    from Kansas

I decided to replace my fuel pump on my 1955 Pontiac with the stock 287. (It was leaking pretty bad from the seals) Now the carb floods after cranking for a few seconds and won't start. I rebuilt the stock 2 barrel carb about 2 month ago and it ran great. It only started flooding after I installed a new stock fuel pump.

2. You might need to add a pressure regulator. HRP

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  3. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Float level set too high?

Could be the old pump was weak and not over flowing the bowl.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would try to borrow and splice in pressure gauge...if the older pump still functions, check output of both. Likeliest scenario is that new pump has way more pressure than the old, less likely is that the changeover dislodged some crud and messed up the inlet valve in carb.
    Same scenario is now commonplace with flathead Fords...brand new pumps manufactured with diaphragm springs that are way too high pressure. "Stock" becomes meaningless if the innards are all wrong...
    If these pumps are both the kind you can take apart, and not the crimped style, transplanting the old spring to new pump might be best combination.

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

Agreed, install a regulator. Damn near every "stock" fuel pump I've dealt with has too much pressure. If it still floods, check your float.

6. KLGreen

KLGreen
    from Kansas

Thanks for the help. I'm picking up a regulator tomorrow morning, hopefully that fixes it. If it doesn't then I'll pull the carb apart and clean/adjust the float.