Register now to get rid of these ads!

new fuel pump leaking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketPinstriping, Aug 11, 2010.

1. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

i just got a fuel pump installed by a mechanic, on my merc's 390 and its leaking from one of the fittings through the threads, ive tried tightening it myself but it wont budge. my guess is that it was cross threaded.
    now, my question is, is there something i can do to stop the leak, loctite or something. i know, probably not a good idea, but i cant afford a new one right now, because i just bought this one:mad: its our only driveable car too:(

i took a pic of it for yall.
    [​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

Looks like a flared tubing leak.

It may be a wrong fitting that the tubing nut is screwed into...Did it thread in OK by hand, or did it go tight all the way?

Look to see if the fitting screwed into the pump is for a flared tube.

If it is correct, then get a new flared tube at the auto parts place

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If the leak is at the joint circled ,one of 2 things. The flare on the tube maybe cracked or the adapter fitting that it is screwed into is cross threaded. Either way no sealent is going to do you any good. Pull the line and have a look. That adapter fitting looks like a Weatherhead # 200X5. Tube bad buy a pre flared tube from the parts house a little longer is usually better than shorter.
    PS the so called mechanic should fix this no charge as this was part of the instaliton.

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Looks like its cocked to the side a little. Those can be tough when they're not lined up right. Take it out and bend the tube around so it goes in with finger twisting. Then use the wrench. No goop will be your friend here. Thats a fire waiting to break your heart.

5. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

fire is not my friend :eek: glad i asked first... yeah im gonna get the mech over here to look at it tomorrow and see if he will fix it right, im still new at this and might make matters worse if i go in at warp 6... ill tell him what ya'll taught me :)

if he wont fix it for free ill do it with the help of another friend, telling me how to do it... not letting "i know what im doin" people cost me anymore money...

:rolleyes:
    thanks guys!