Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from the 'Cuse

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Dr.HairyOlds, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

Hey guys. I've lurked on here from time to time after hearing about it on garagejournal. I've always been an incorrigible gearhead with projects about (muscle cars, bikes, etc.). But recently I had a '52 chevy 3/4 ton fall into my lap. So I looked here for some ideas and info. Love seeing all the great build threads! And after seeing all the great help and support, I wanted to join fun myself.

As for the truck, it is a solid shell and you couldn't beat the price. Whoever had it before was doing a good job of making it a good solid work truck, to the best of their ability. It isn't necessarily pretty but it is functional. They went through the frame with new parts and painted everything. The whole underside is cleaned, painted and undercoated.

You'll notice that the cab corners are bolted on. Whoever was working on this simply couldn't weld or did not have access to one. So they cut out the rust and bolted them on. The only rot i have found is on the inside bottom of the doors. It is not getting any worse though since they blasted it and coated it with rustoleum, like the rest of the truck inside and out
    003_3.JPG

004_4.JPG

005_5.JPG

007_7.JPG

009_9.JPG

012_12.JPG

014_14.JPG

My current idea is the stick with the weathered look and build this into a summer cruising/work truck. With it being a 3/4 ton, I would really like to get it to towing condition (so I can use it to pick up some more tired iron:D).

I'm keeping the original rear since it is in great shape and fits the part. To round out the drivetrain, I have a built Olds 330 laying around for it. I also bought an NV4500, using the OD to cope with the original 4.57 gears. I'm trying to use as many parts that I have laying around from other projects to keep costs down.

So what do you think?

2. AGY mechanic

AGY mechanic

Think you're on the right track, welcome to the HAMB.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

5. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

6. Willy_P

Willy_P

Welcome from Kansas.