Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from Adelaide Australia....55 DeSoto

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by LoSoto, Jul 29, 2008.

1. LoSoto

LoSoto

Hi y'all,

New around here and to the Hot Rod / Kustom scene.
    I have been mucking around with my Rat VW for quite some time until recently when I discovered 50's American love in the form of a 55 Desoto Diplomat Plaza (same as the US 54 Plymouth). Built in Adelaide Australia (my home town) in 55, this ol girl was bought by a farmer in the states north west where it lived all of it's life. Apparently, it was in immaculate condition until 10 yrs ago when the farmer passed on. It was then bought and left in an open shed for 9 of those years and consequently the paint has a 'rustic' feel with a few rusty parts, particularly the lower sills and lower doors. Now it's up to me to bring new life to the old girl, with it's 97,000 original mile side valve six and immaculate interior, my plans will come together quickly. On the cards are some rust work, preserving the patina, a painted roof and a mild lowering...we'll see how we go, and with the inspiration of some of the rides on here, who knows how far I'll go!!

Attached Files:

2. There are plenty of custom threads. Use the search function and study, study, study.

Welcome.

3. megalania

megalania

wow, talk about all the aussies and vw nuts coming on board. Its good to see.

4. chevute

chevute

Nice Desoto. I've got one in the shed myself. There's not oo many of these left now. Most have ended up at Sims yards. If you happen to find a spare headlight bezel and feel like parting with it, I'd be interested. Love the whitewalls too.

5. LoSoto

LoSoto

I'm looking for a bezel too. My left one is off a Belvedere and consequently a different shape. In fact the whole guard is Belvedere as apparently a wheat hopper fell on it in the 60's.
    Would love to see pics of your ol girl!

6. the machine

the machine

welcome from a hoosier

7. lowdown

lowdown

Hey a local boy! welcome, endless supply of info here. were about in SA are you? there is a guy in wingfield(has an add in the tradingpost every week) who has heaps of vintage parts he may have your headlight ring, if he doesnt dont forget the anglevale swapmeet this weekend(3rd aug) at the dog track.

8. LoSoto

LoSoto

Thanks for hthe intel...I'll check out Antique Autos. As for the swap meet...I'll be there for sure! What do you have? I'm fro Sheidow Pk down south.
    Will keep an eye out for ya during the show/cruise season.

9. lowdown

lowdown

i drive a 53 chevy but i dont drive it near as much as id like. trying to get it bit more reliable and safer, jag front end swap with disc brakes and power r/p steering then hopefully start using it as a daily. i was a southern boy Morphett vale born and bred.

10. welcome from melbourne!

11. LoSoto

LoSoto

Reckon I'm gonna love this Hokey place!

12. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Welcome from the sunny gold coast

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Welcome to this forum!
    I have brought one of those Aussie Desoto's to the states.
    [​IMG]
    I have the only 1956 Desoto Diplomat UTE currently known in the states. Like you said since it is based on the 54 American Plymouth sedan parts are not as hard to find as most people think. Since your car is so original, does it have the original tool pouch? I would love to see pictures of one if you do?

14. LoSoto

LoSoto

Hey nice ute!!! What are your plans, would look great as a custom and I'm sure would have a few heads scratching over there. Unfortunately I do not have the tool pouch.....very original, but this is missing, but I would love to see one too!

15. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Plans are for restoration with some minor upgrades for safety.
    Yes it does confuse the hell out of even long time collectors over here.
    The only guy I ever ran into that said he had not seen one of them in a long time (and I believed him) had a real southern accent way, way south!

16. LoSoto

LoSoto

Going in tomorrow for some rust work and contrasting roof.....excited to see results, will keep you posted.

17. Hey there

My sister from Boston is heading your way. She's planning on going to the Bay to Birdwood. Looks like a cool event.

18. Welcome and nice ride, good luck with it!!

19. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

Watch out where you park this car... Someone might come by at night and take the grille for their Mercury! ;)

Welcome!

20. mackster

mackster

welcome aboard!
    Nice Ride! I was at first thinking it was a plymouth kustomized here in the states, and it looked awesome! when I read it and found out that it was stock, It blew my mind! nice ol car...

I was trying to heavily modify my Desoto and then I bought all the parts back that the previous owner had sold off her. I am happy now with a mild chop and rattle can primer for now....:D

21. G day mate we are from opposite sides of town im at TwoWells. ill keep a eye out for ya . my old inter was a one owner from a vine yard from Nuriootpa .still some good old tin to be found if ya look hard enough. see ya round

22. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

would love to see some more pictures of your IH coupe UTE

23. would love to see some more pictures of your IH coupe UTE

unfortunately i don't have any pics to brag about .

she's in the shed for the caddy fit out .

im really into nostalgia bomber thing

and as 346 flatheads powered WW2 army tanks im calling her

Slightly Dangerous

after a WW2 bomber. if that makes any sense

Attached Files:

24. LoSoto

LoSoto

Wow dude, that is gonna be an awesome Bomber Inter. What are the plans, nose art? Matte dark grey? Was thinkin about some period art on my ol girl, but changed tack slightly.

Also, thanks all you guys for the great props. there has been a delay with my painter and the car will be shown 'as is' at Rock'n Victor at Victor Harbor this weekend and will be rollin up (not entered) for the Bay to Birdwood.

25. LoSoto

LoSoto

Oh how cool is that. Unfortunately, not too many customs in the Bay 2, they are scorned a bit. This run, is for pre 55s, next year is 55-75. Still many a cool car and she will have a ball in our beautiful city and Hills.
    If she is here a week earlier, there is a new show at one of our coastal towns. Another beautiful location!

26. welcome aboard from the sand gropers

28. LoSoto

LoSoto

Can't wait to see the results.
    Unfortunately, can't go to Palmer, a mates wedding, how inconsiderate! I will definately be at Uraidla in December though, hopefully meet ya there.

29. OwyerGoin',
    Depends where you R but U could try Gawler swap (21/9/08 ?) 4 ya H-light ring - Who knows..
    Barossa was popular Chevy Kountry but there'da been a few Mop- ah's around there too- Maybe some'a those oldies'll drag stuff down from Clare' n up that way.. That's more like Moparville.Welcome and good luck to you & yours.

Brownie
    P.S. Nice avatar

30. LoSoto

LoSoto

Thanks for the info Brownie. Unfortunately I'm heading down to Victor for the show on Sunday so I miss the Gawler Swap, first time missed for ages.
    Thanks for the welcome and well wishes, same to you and who knows we may cross paths at a meet soon.
    Darren