Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New forum member, new Model A owner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Knucklebuster1978, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Knucklebuster1978

Knucklebuster1978
    from Idaho

Hey Guys,

I was talking with a friend of mine about some questions about my new 1930 Model A. He highly recommended that I join this forum. I look forward to getting to know some of you guys as I begin a project I have dreamed about since I was a kid.

Last fall, my wife's grandpa passed and left me his Model A which I had secretly coveted for almost 20 years since I first met him. I feel honored to have this car and plan to pass it on to one of my kids some day. That being said, I am at a loss as to keeping the car original or customizing. I love hot rods but this is such a clean, beautiful car. My thought is to clean up and go through the car over the next few years before I make any crazy decisions.

I would like to network with any members out in the northern Idaho area. Anyone out there? Thanks guys! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396412607.946230.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396412621.731548.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

All I'd change on that is to run later kelsey-hayes wires (big 'n littles) and maybe some Model A speed parts. You inherited a nice one!

3. This and take out a couple of leaf springs to lower it a few inches and "walla" !!!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

4. urbanriot

urbanriot

Sorry did someone mention V8 ..................................

5. If that were mine.. this is what i'd do.

Lower it
    V8 driveline.
    Lose the spare wheel, cowl lights and bumpers.
    16" wires with big n littles as above.
    Move the horn somewhere out of the way.
    Change the headlights to something a little nicer.
    Dropped headlight bar.
    Perhaps a '32 grill? That'd be the last thing i'd change.

6. dirtbag63

dirtbag63

Leave it alone! Once you get started, you'll never stop! Its a beautiful orginal, and you don't see that much anymore!

7. Indian_Skippy

Indian_Skippy

Hi mate Welcome from Australia....you have inherited a sweet ride there she looks awesome

8. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Keeep it like it is while your kids are little, then make it a project to convert it to a hot rod together when thery're older.

9. RFH1931

RFH1931

I would leave it alone.
    Buy another project to make a Hot Rod out of.
    That way your kids can tell everyone this is the car my moms grandpa had !

10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I would go with hotting up the banger and lowering it a little. Keep the original parts, and you can always return it to stock. Whatever you decide to do, it is a nice car :cool:

11. Took the words right out of my mouth.......

12. painkiller

painkiller

You are on a Hot Rod forum, you already know the answer.:D

13. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Did mine on the cheap and cut nothing. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396442700.723917.jpg

14. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Very nice car to start with, by the way!

15. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Exactly what I was thinking! I like Arkie's suggestion, and just keep all the original parts so you will always have the option of putting it back. If you want to drive it at safe highway speeds, you will need to make some changes.

16. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

lbb - I like your style. Very nice coupe.

17. pumpman

pumpman

Like most of the guys have said I would play with it but upgrade the brakes, wheels and just drive the hell of it. Oh ya, I'd keep the banger and start looking for some speed parts for it and don't throw nothin away.

18. olskool34

olskool34

Seeing how it was enjoyed by a stocker by your wife's grandpa, I would just do bolt on's. I don't think he left it to you so you could cut it all up. He enjoyed it as a stocker and probably thought you would too. You don't have to put a v-8 in it to make it a hot rod. Plenty of good speed parts available for that little banger. Like the others have said, speed parts, later wheels and a lowering and you're good.

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Drive it like it is. If that turns your crank, leave it stock. The Ford Barn forum would be somewhere to check out.

If you would like a little more from it, do the changes mentioned above.

I have done both. I have a Model A that is stock and have fun driving it around. I also have an AV-8. It is reliable, also fun to drive and I can get there a little quicker. ;)

Either way, you have a nice car. Enjoy it with you family.

Neal

20. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I would buy a set of 16" wires & tires, take a few leafs out of the springs and drive it like it is. You'll never regret it. Change what you want to change as you're driving it. DO NOT tear it down if it runs and drives, unless you are replacing something you have already bought. That is a sweet ride, enjoy it.

21. And you got it running today after years of collecting dust, enjoy it now and whichever way you decide will be just fine.

22. adam401

adam401

I would pull off the fenders and cut 5" out of the roof , drop axle and v8 wires. Welcome to the HAMB. Cutting cars feels great, try it.

23. Don't cut the roof of something so nice, I see in the years to come everyone will be fitting rubbish fitting repo parts to bring a rod's roof back to standard hight.
    If that was mine all I would be doing is 16", better brakes, a 5 speed and just drive and enjoy.
    (Now waiting for the flame attack!)

24. tim b.

tim b.

Nice car! I've been struggling with the same isue. Pop-rodder's right don't take it apart. Go thru the front end & brakes and get it safe. Drive it & enjoye it. When you start tripping over 16" wires, 33 axles, 32 spindles, posies springs & firestone tires you'll know what to do. I'm making room in the barn myself right now.

25. Wardog

Wardog

Welcome, mine is stock apart from removing the bumpers and spare wheel, horn under the intake, dropped headlight bar and the front turn signals.

Attached Files:

26. ydopen

ydopen

That is a nice model A. I would drive it and get to know it and then consider changes. I have driven my Tudor 19,000 miles including a trip over the Rockies.

It has juice brakes,rebuilt touring motor,and 4speed overdrive. It cruises at 55-60. Model A is fun. Whatever you do with it you will enjoy.

John

Attached Files:

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i would leave it for now. drive it. drive the tires off that thing. get a feel for the car.. that will tell you what you want to do. You wont loose the memory of him by changing the car a bit. bolt on stuff... please dont chop the roof and yank the fenders.. maybe some upgrades for the banger, nice intake, carb, and exhaust, maybe do a little igniton work... The mechanical brakes are fine, get familiar with adjusting them properly, and inspecting them. They stop those cars fine when working properly. The most important thing you need to do with this car is.... ENJOY IT!

i drove my car a while all stock and i loved it... somedays i miss driving the banger and mechanical brakes.. they are a lot of fun stock.

28. Welcome, like others have said come over to the Fordbarn. Nice coupe!! Drive it before you do anything to it. Drive it lots, to the store, on a date with the wife, etc... Remember if your Model A just sits in the garage you might as well be collecting clocks. This will give you a base line so you'll know if you want to leave it stock. 16's and V8's are cool but not for everyone. Pick up Les Andrews Red book and a copy of the original owners manual. Again just enjoy it and don't let other people talk you into doing things to it.

29. Knucklebuster1978

Knucklebuster1978
    from Idaho

Thanks for all of the input, you all gave me a lot of options to think about, which is why I joined this forum! Thank you for all of the compliments.