Register now to get rid of these ads!

New flathead fuel pump putting out too much pressure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybucket, Oct 20, 2009.

1. rustybucket

rustybucket

I’m trying to get my roadster fired up and I'm having a serious gas overflow issue from both of my new Stromberg 97’s (English types). I tried to cobble a AutoZone (spector sp?) fuel regulator on to temporarily solve the problem but ran into a bunch of problems from it most notably no fuel pressure at all… I have a decent Holly regulator on the way but would eventually like to go back to a properly tuned stock 11a-9350 32’-42’ fuel pump.

Dos anyone out there have a source for known good fuel pumps or experience with tuning a repro?
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    Thanks
    Chris <o></o>
    <!--EndFragment-->

Attached Files:

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I bought a pressure gage and hooked it inline.

Then added gasket material under the fuel pump until I got it down to a pound and a half, doesn't take much.

Rich

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Those round regulators are dangerous junk! Inaccurate, potential leakers, random pressure results.
    Fuel pump innards are highly interchangeable, and at least some new flathead ones are apparently assembled with diaphragm springs (the main control of pressure) from some modern higher pressure source.
    Go to the trash can, salvage your old pump, and transplant the spring...squeeze the two springs by hand to verify that the old is a proper low pressure one.
    Seems like %###$!@NOTHING is buy-and-install anymore...new stuff is just a nice clean core to rebuild and modify!
    Shimming up stand will reduce travel, reducing pressure but potentially cutting flow/pumping capacity enough to limit top end. Total travel of the push rod is less than 1/4 inch!

4. rustybucket

rustybucket

thanks guys,

Bruce is it difficult to disassemble those pumps? are there rebuild instructions out there? or is it just common sense?

I have another pump I'll dig into, it looks too new to be original though. Might have to poke around a little to find a known Ford original...

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On what you have...just squeeze the two springs. It will be obvious if one is a two pounder and the other a seven.
    The disassembly is dirt simple, assembly calls for pressure on diaphragm which I have always done by pressing rocker down against a screwdriver in a coffee mug with one hand while I final tighten the screws with other...will look up the instructions in bulletins on that.

6. rustybucket

rustybucket

thanks!