Register now to get rid of these ads!

New finds at the local U Pull It!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950-mercury, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Here are some cars and trucks recently seen at the local U Pull It. I can't believe that their was another 50 chevy in there. That makes 3 1950 chevys in the last few months! Here's some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ; [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

those straight axle trucks sitting on wheel rims look super sketchy to me!

3. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

4. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Lol!!! I agree.

5. Damn! That yellow and white one looks like original paint. What a shame.

6. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

I believe it is original paint. The tailgate in near mint. I thought of pulling it, but not sure if it has any demand.

7. JD Miller

JD Miller

That yellow suburban is a 4x4 too

8. Those rims would be welded together would,nt they ? Must be !!

9. Yes, the rims are welded into stands.

No one repros that tailgate that I know of. I see a lot of potential resale items, depending on what they hit you on them.

10. Having been in the auto salvage business for many years I think it's a damn shame in alot of ways. Most of that stuff won't get saved and the whole cars & trucks most certainly won't. The economy is in the toilet & getting worse and the price of scrap is up. That combination of events usually results in people cashing in their old iron. The last salvage yard I managed before I retired had a "vintage tin" section that I set up with probably 100-150 cars & trucks from the 50s to the 70s. Shorty after I left the owners sold out to Co-part, a large insurance auction company who only wanted the land and the salvage license. A month after they signed the sales agreement everything was gone.

11. Yes. There is a demand for that burb tailgate if it's nice. Same with the hood if it's not rotten. There is a popular truck board that you could probably sell a lot of those parts very easily on.

It's always a shame to see good old iron in the yards.

12. Junk, mostly.

13. ...looks like that 50 Chevy is radio/heater/clock delete.

14. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

I agree with you. It seems likes everyone is after the new parts at the yards. I usually hit the yards every few weeks, and the old cars seem to be untouched. It seems like I'm the only one saving parts off these old cars. It's funny when I'm pulling parts off these old cars, someone always walks up and says, wow thats an oldie, what are you going to do with that old stuff! I usually just say it's for my project. They always ask what year it is, and alot of these guys were alive when these cars were new. They always think it's funny that a younger guy like me knows the years of these cars, and have an interest in them. I guess I'm just doing my part in trying to save good parts from the crusher, and it makes me sick to think that after a few weeks, they'll be crushed, and turned into a honda, or toyota.

15. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the rims are turned the wrong way. Start jerking on something hard and it's going to come down on you.

They are welded together though, that is standard wrecking yard practice around here and properly placed about the safest way to block vehicles up out in the yard.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  17. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Yes, they both had delete plates. I grabbed them! I don't know if they are hard to find or not? They looked cool!

18. Squablow

Squablow

There are little clasp-handles on the sliding glass rear side windows in that Suburban, either chrome or stainless, maybe 2 or 3 inches tall. I think they're just glued onto the edge of the glass and they will pull right off (or fall off), if there's one or a pair, I'd love to have them for my Suburban. One of mine went missing and now I have to keep my window closed by wedging a chunk of cardboard in between.

If you go back there to save stuff and you run across one or both of those, I'll buy them from you.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Also, if you're looking for stuff to resell, I just had a complete wiper system out of a '49 Chevy car, the motor with switch, linkage and all that, and I got $130 for it, untested. That and the gauge clusters are pretty valuable if you get them out of the dash without cutting the capillary tubes.

20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live near those yards, just haven't visited them lately, and.......with the snow probably won't be. I picked up a nice 71 Pontiac LeMans Grille there but no one seems interested in it at the Greenfield Swap Meet:(

21. Gromit

Gromit

That Mercury (Breezeway?) would make a cool cruiser. I like those :)

22. Rob68

Rob68

Very cool and sad at the same time. I could sure use that front bumper off that 60 F100. And the steering column. Hope someone can get any usable parts off of all those cars.

23. lawman

lawman

The "Oldies" are still out there !!!!

24. If they are not locked up, the 4x4 axles on the burb are worth some cash on other boards. Do some homework and go get em... Good luck!! Nice find.

25. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Damn id love to find a 50 chevy parts car. thre are a bunch of bits and things I could use. and that hood looks great compared to the rest of the car. wierd.

26. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

I'll see if they're on there. I'll let you know. Thanks for the info.
    -Mike

27. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Anyone have an idea on what a rust free, dent free tailgate off that suburban is worth. Also is that a 65 suburban?

28. It's a 64-66 Suburban, gate probably fits back to '60.

If that Mercury has the roll down back window, the motor and parts for that are likely worth removing and saving. I did okay on some mid-60s Ford electrical stuff out of a T-bird. I guess the power window motors those years have gears notorious for becoming brittle and stripping - I sold some of those too, even a dead one.

You could sell that '50 Chevy down to a bare shell. The front and rear bumper filler pans are an easy $100 each. If you can bring in a sawzall, there's a lot more that can be sold from it.

What's most sad about that Suburban is a buddy here has one that's like a '61 that was never registered - it was a plow truck for a resort in the Adirondacks; has like 5000 miles on it, 261 motor... and even that one has more rot than the yellow one does. It's not terrible, but the toe boards have rusted on both sides.

29. 65Suburban

65Suburban
    from Vista, CA

Can you tell me how to contact them? I would be interested in parts off the yellow Suburban

30. damn, this makes our California junk look like a goldmine