Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New family hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 25, 2020.

1. My wife has been telling me for the past couple years to get something we can all ride in. I am sure a lot of you have kids and know what it's like to not all fit in the hot rod/custom. I had a 53 Sunliner that I really liked, but it was pretty cramped inside and the top was always up with the kiddos in the back. I really only liked driving that car with the top down. So, I decided to sell it and try to find something a little better for a family car.

I started out looking at 50's hardtops and wagons. Has anyone here ever shopped a cool station wagon? They are as much or more money as a hard top! My stipulation is I did not want to restore a car, I don't have the time and wanted something pretty turn key. I don't mind doing some stuff but I just didn't want to start from scratch. I also wanted something that I would drive with or without family. So it had to be cool.

Earlier this year I kind of had the idea of a 40-earlier Ford tudor sedan. Plenty of room and inside and iconic cars. Prices are not horrible and hell yeah I would drive it and not feel dorky. So...the hunt was on. Tom Branch had reached out to me months ago asking what I thought his super bitchin 46 Ford coupe was worth. I asked why and he said his brother had a killer 40 tudor that he was thinking about buying, and if he did, the 46 would have to go. So a month or so ago I text Tom and asked if he ever bought the 40 from his brother. He said no, and I asked if his Brother wanted to sell it. He said yeah. So a couple calls and some pics later...and we stuck a deal. I had a friend coming up from SoCal with an empty trailer this past weekend, so he drug it up for me.

The most bitchin thing about this car is Tom built it. The guy just builds killer stuff. This was an older restored 40 that was left for dead. Tom's brother bought it and Tom put it together using a 283, stock trans and rear end, as low as it will go while still using an I beam, big n littles, etc. The appealing part to me is all the plumbing, wiring, engine, trans, rear, brakes, radiator...it's all new/rebuilt. Tom build the engine himself. It's a basic 283, power pack heads, 4 barrel and dual exhaust. I have ached for a 40's Ford with an early Chev and stock trans/rear for years. Thousands were on the road in the 50s/60's and I want a taste of that. The interior is an older Labaron Bonney interior with the stock dash and some simple SW gauges under the dash. The previous owner bought every piece of chrome/trim that Bob Drake makes, along with all new seals, window runners, etc. Tons and tons of money spent on stuff that adds up fast. The trunk was full of Bob Drake products that have yet to be installed (mainly trim). The paint is pretty old but the car is a 99% rust free car and has the charm we all like in old cars. You can't really hurt it, so being the family wagon that was also a plus to not have something "too nice" but just nice enough... if that makes sense

I have never really bought a "turn key" car, I always find stuff and bring it back to life. It is fun to be able to hop in and go. It needs seat belts and some odds and ends. And of course a little here and there to make it my own. But it is bitchin, and glad I got it from a friend. That's what this is all about.

Branch's rule

8220F38B-3E2A-4FC2-93C8-85525AC78619.jpeg B86AD865-3322-4419-80F0-3C5D3BA68017.jpeg 018361EC-3B6F-42DA-8744-1FD3E47469E2.jpeg 824D4B20-A944-4AA9-93AB-AF55D82050CF.jpeg

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats

loudbang likes this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Schweet! The kiddos look happy, probably a reflection of what they see on their Dad's face!

6. Very cool family car! Making this hobby a family fun deal is so much better than it just being "Dad's" hobby... Looks like your kids are enjoying the new car!

7. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Awesome car man.

loudbang likes this.
  8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You done good, it looks great and it has a real engine in it:cool:

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bitchin....40 fords are wonderful cars. congrats

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I love it. Brings back fond memories of my two boys setting in the back seat and while traveling down the highway seeing their heads bobbing up and down. They weren’t heavy enough to compress the springs. Great 40, enjoy.

loudbang, catdad49, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  11. loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That is one nice timeless sedan. Enjoy your new memory maker!

13. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Can't go wrong with a40 Ford. Nice car enjoy.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20+20 adds up to 40 so this is the perfect year for that purchase. Nice one Chris.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Absolutely perfect car man. Congrats on a nice purchase. Looks like it's walking that fine line where it's super nice in and out and looks like a million bucks going down the road, but upon closer inspection might have a few dings and flaws that make it the perfect cruise night car to drag the group around in and not constantly sweat about where you go or park. A basically bullet-proof drivetrain doesn't hurt either.

It's always more fun when you can bring the family and kids and share the hobby.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Nice!! Should be a great family car.

17. Wow, that is a cool ride man! I would drive it!

loudbang likes this.
  18. It's a great car. I was able to check it out in Pomona last winter. It checks all the boxes! Congratulations

loudbang likes this.
  19. ART 323436

ART 323436
    from Oakley ca

Great looking car love the stance

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. We raised our twin girls in the back of a '40 deluxe sedan that could pass for a exact copy of yours less the whitewalls.

Brenda drove that car daily for 5 or 6 years until I traded it for a '39 Ford convertible, you will be happy with that car for years to come. HRP

chryslerfan55, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Chris scores again! Nice sedan!

loudbang, Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - good move

loudbang likes this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Thatsa Nice! You can take all the neighborhood kids for a ride.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Nice find!

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man, you got a knack for finding cool shit. Congrats!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Gorgeous car. Very tastefully built.

What size tires? 7.00s in the rear and 5.50s in the front?

loudbang likes this.
  27. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hell ya! Its a lot funner when you can haul the kids around with you. Thats what its all about. Enjoy!

loudbang likes this.
  28. 35cab

35cab

Love it, I had a 40 standard Tudor for around 10 years, updated suspension, lowered in front and all stock stuff rebuilt, a great driving car for all the family, so much room but still had a bit of attitude.
    Miss that car....
    Yours sounds a good couple of notches up from what I had so it must be pretty much perfect, enjoy.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  29. Took a little inventory, this was in the trunk. Lots of parts installed on the car already as well.

80D736D5-925C-4F36-B639-552D2E81440E.jpeg

chryslerfan55, slug, Silva and 9 others like this.