Register now to get rid of these ads!

New family car, daily driver-- 59 Biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motochris, May 19, 2009.

1. 61TBird

61TBird

That was on Craigslist for a looong time.
    Hopefully you got it for way less than the $8500 he was asking for it!

p.s. Get rid of those wheels!!!:D

2. Motochris

Motochris

Actually, he was asking $9500..... I ended up about $6000 out of pocket and some parts trade. For not having to hack it up and fix the rust 90% of them have...it was a good deal. Wheels will probably stay. My '37 is the ones that gets the wide whites and such.

3. gafridge

gafridge

Hey Motochris,just thought i would tell you most upholstery shops could make you a clear cover for the front seat pretty reasonable if you wanted one.Take care and enjoy the ride.Looks great and a good deal also.

4. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Nice score ,like you logic keep the color and wheel combo good job

5. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Sweet ride - congrats man. . .

6. Wow that's clean...the plastic on the rear seats is cool, and practical considering the car seat...

A lot of folks have their opinions about the Torque Thrusts, but I think they look great on that car, and probably help the way it handles, if yours drives anything like our '60 Elky did...

Great find, thanks for sharing!

BRT

7. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

Damn that is a clean car. Curse your dry West Coast air! :)

I totally agree on simplifying things. I just had to diagnose a problem on my parents' VW. Talk about a mess of wires and computer chips that thing is. I hate all the electronic, computer and environmental crap that is on modern cars. That's why when I come home and there is an automotive problem, I can easily fix it because all that crap isn't on there. The most modern thing I own is my DD '92 Firebird and it will be the most modern thing I own for the rest of my days.

8. Motochris

Motochris

Swapped out the generator yesterday for an alternator and AC condensor. Now I just gotta do the rest so I have AC.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  9. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Killer car. Love the whole package and all the original stuff on it. I love the 1959 Chevys. Some of my favorites.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

11. Nice car-you could slice bread on those fins

12. Scallops!!!!!

13. doc's

doc's

I know I'm a little late, but that's a damn nice car......I like the fact you'll not see 5 cars just like yours while tooling around w/ the family.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It's a great looking car and practical too. I definitely vote for driving the wheels off it, right after you get rid of those ghetto wheels and rubberband tires and install something better looking and more practical for daily use.
    Enjoy.

15. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Bitchin' car. Gotta agree it needs different tires and wheels...maybe something like this...

Attached Files:

16. Yeah, thats a nice grocery getter to grow up in, good find on the distributor, I had the same problem, if the rear door handles ever bother you shave em off, I did that on my 56 wagon and it's almost always been mistaken for a two door. I noticed your blower motor location looks strange...Mine is under the fender...Enjoy...

17. It just doesn't have the deluxe heat/defrost system that was an "extra cost" item. Extremely clean for a 59, wish my 59 El Camino was that nice. Too bad they painted the head/vc Chev orange, should be "Blue Flame" six blue. Not a detractor.

18. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Great looking car, enjoy it! I've got a 56' cadillac moredoor that I need to put AC in and drive more often...

19. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

20. rusty28a

rusty28a

You have my highest respect as a man and as a father. Your kids will treasure the memories whether they like old cars or not! Plus, your wife will NEVER lose the car at the WalMart parking lot! Thanks for posting.

21. kustomkat

kustomkat

Nice score. I'm not a fan of the wheels, but it is your car. How bout a set of whites and Plymouth points.

22. Motochris

Motochris

Thanks for all the comments guys. The wheels will be staying...I like that look on these cars. They still have the old Torque-Thrust style....just with a newer twist.
    I have a 37 pickup for more of the "nostalgia" look.
    The 59 get's twice the complements that I get in the 37.....which is pretty amazing. I had a Highway Patrol come up alongside me the other day and slow down, I look over and he's giving me the thumbs up....sweeeet.:D My buddy with a '64 Impala rode with me the other day....within 2 weeks, he had bought a '59 4 dr too. His 64 is up for sale. He could'nt believe how much attention the car gets, not too mention...he just digs the fins.

Here's the truck..

[​IMG]

23. cruzr

cruzr

a small block 283 and a 4spd would make it a great "sleeper" !!

24. Motochris

Motochris

The '37 has a 3 duece 283 in it now....I've been tossing around the idea of someday putting it in the 59 and making the '37 electric...:eek:

25. doc's

doc's

Both good ideas.....

26. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

You found a sweet ride! I wouldn't do much to it at all, it's great like it is.

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Cool car. I see black CA plates and dealer frames in one photo and then white 6-prefix CA plates in another photo. Please tell me you kept the black plates and will register them back onto the car!

What dealer and location is on the old frames?