Register now to get rid of these ads!

New family car, daily driver-- 59 Biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motochris, May 19, 2009.

1. Motochris

Motochris

So I've been thinking seriously about "simplifying" my cars. I drive my '37 truck quite a bit and like the simplicity. Something goes wrong...I can figure it out. Between my Tahoe and my wifes Camry lately, I've been spending waaay too much on dumbass repairs.
    Started looking around for something I could drive daily (the '37 doesn't work, as I can put the wife in it, or the kids in it, but not the wife AND kids in it) that would fit everybody, be simple and somewhat cool.
    After much looking...here's what I ended up with. 1959 4dr Biscayne. Not as "cool" as a 2dr, but much more affordable and more usable with the kids. Plus, IMO it's one of the few 4dr cars that don't have jacked up lines because of the rear doors. I know some will disagree..
    Picked it up in Vacaville Ca. and drove it 450 miles home alone! The car has original paint and interior. Only surface rust...no major rust anywhere. Still has the factory plastic on the back seat. EVERYTHING works and really well. 3 sp column shift with a 235..bone stock. SUPER quiet and got between 15-18.5 mpg depending upon how fast I went. 31,000 original miles....first owner had it 47 years until he died, another guy picked it up at an estate sale for parts for his 59 wagon, but it was too clean to take apart so he put the wheels/spindles/brakes off his wagon project on it and drove it for a year or so....then sold it to me.
    Wife and kids dig it....just gonna do an alternator conversion and AC and drive it as is for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

man that thing is super clean!

3. Wow that thing is clean! Looks like it's very solid too! I had a 59 4 door belair for a long time and I liked it better than many 2 cars I've had. "59s are cool!

4. Motochris

Motochris

Thanks...I think so too. Best I can tell, it got parked in the mid 60's indoors and didn't go too far after that. It's got all the oil change stickers on the doorjambs up until about 64. Found change under the seats...newest coin was a 62.
    The doors close perfectly..barely have to shut them.

5. Gerg

Gerg

wow that looks like a great car

6. :DDuuuuude!!! Wow! what's not to like about that?! Even the green interior is cool.WAY too good for a parts car.I'm glad the other guy didn't hack it up.:cool:

7. Motochris

Motochris

Couple more pics...I'll get the interior and trunk for you later. I'm seriously amazed everytime I look around the car. Original 14" bias ply spare w/ jack and lugwrench, all the trim panels are there in the trunk, rear package tray and front kick panels aren't all jacked up. Only interior issue is some staining around the windshield on the headliner. Looks like it leaks a bit at the windshield.
    Left front fender and roof have some rust from water dripping on it from where it was stored, but nothing major. Found 2 tiny pinholes in the passenger rear floorboard, but still seems very solid there.
    The car looks white, but it's a VERY pale green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Very nice, I really like the '59 Chevy's, lots of room to be a family car with a huge trunk. Good score.

9. gafridge

gafridge

Car looks great and has a great stance,best part is you can pile in the whole family and cruise.Have fun with it,i know if i had it i would drive the wheels off of it.Good luck. Stony

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Wow thats nice,I loves me some 59s

11. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Definitely cool, no waits (4 door-> no wait to get in the back seat 'cause you have your own door) are good choices for family rides.

I'm in the same boat, 2000 Silverado trans took a shit, '96 LT1 Caprice needs front end parts and alignment and just did everything on front brakes. I have been looking for a no nonsense old cruiser for back up duty ('62 454 4 speed Biscayne is not what you want to park in the WALMART lot.

Marty McF.

12. phukinartie

phukinartie

WAYYYY cool Good score!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Motochris

Motochris

Here's a few more pics. On the panels on the drivers side and front of the trunk...they seem to be cardboard or something similiar....are those stock, or something somebody added later?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see the factory plastic on the rear seat. The guy I got it from said it had the plastic on front too, but he removed it as it was looking bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Previous owner had the head off trying to troubleshoot a running problem....said he replaced the carb, points, rotor, cap, condensor, wires, and plugs before deciding it must have a valve issue. Got the head off and it was perfect....then discovered the distributor had some side-side play that caused the problem.

[​IMG]

14. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

that is cool! I'd drive it with 6 doors....Thanks for sharing, love the fins!:D

15. That is outstanding! I remember playing around with a couple Corgi 59's at my Grandma's house growing up, I loved them.

I would definately add that car to the harem as the grocery-getter. Well scored!

16. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Thats a nice car! Adding A/C and a alt will make it great to ride around in...
    Thanks for the post,it's great see cars like these still being driven daily

Steve

17. very cool ride! if your not on the chevytalk site that car would have them drooling.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great score. A 4 door is just right for a family ride. The cardboard panel in the trunk is stock. I'm especially suprised at the wheels and tires, a truely rare option.:rolleyes::)

Frank

19. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Sweet lookin' ride! Can't believe how clean it looks - love that straight 6.

20. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

you know when I see a nice clean car like that it makes me hate you west coast guys.....nice score, I'd drive the shit out of it!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

dang. she's purdy. nice score.

22. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice find. Perfect for the family. Don't forget to put a spare set of points and condenser in the glove box... nothing much else ever goes wrong on a stovebolt.

23. keeffer

keeffer

thats super clean nice ride

24. I won't park ANYTHING in a damn WallyWorld parking lot!

Seriously cool Chevy there!!!

25. That's an awesome family sedan! I'd be proud to be driving a 4 door like that! Flat out love it!! Nice find.

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that is a great buy! I dont get the hate for more doors you US guys have??
    What wheels and tyres are you going for? WWW with dress rings, black and spider caps would look good.
    Doc.

27. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Dude awesome ride. I sooo want a 59

28. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Man, that is clean, and I love the 6 too. Good score.

I just did an intake manifold gasket on my 98 Burban - typical dexcool / Vortec V8 intake issue. Man what a nightmare that thing is to work on. Just not fun.

The Burb is awesome for camping and towing my other toys around, but an old wagon would be the bees knees.

Pete

29. LabRat

LabRat

Sweet ! Mission accomplished I dare say .... Drive and enjoy .

30. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Cooooool '59............Rich