Register now to get rid of these ads!

New England Dragway in Epping. Got photos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Tom Ivo had wheel pants on cars for three years and there isn't anyone who made more runs down a track under less than ideal conditions than Ivo. He told me he never had a problem with them.

Garlits made one run with tham and took them off, didn't like the way the car felt.

The wheel pants were a contributing factor in the Grenade crash. The owners will tell you it was driver error, but it was not. At the end of the 1975 season NHRA put an end to the wheel pants.

That's me in the K & M car, and the Loctite promotion, that's the front engine car. Me and the cage are gone from tire smoke.

Great times, hard running, crazy deals, all of that stuff is gone and it will never be back. Glad I did it when I did.

Don't forget the NHRA New England Hot Rod Reunion in September, it's going to be a great time.

Don

2. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Yes, I'll definitely be there with the 5W, hope to see you.
    I'll tell him you said hi.

3. 442Mike

442Mike

Here's the Berejik Olds 68 442 driven by Loyed Woodland at NED.

Attached Files:

4. 442Mike

442Mike

Here's Loyed in the Smothers Brothers car

Attached Files:

5. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Olds 442

Attached Files:

6. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

can anyone identify this t-bucket? its called odd job?[​IMG]

7. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

here is a bigger pic.[​IMG]

8. Italian Stallion

Italian Stallion
    from Derry, NH

I found some more pictures from the early days of NED. A friend of mine asked me to look at the pictures he took at the track back in 1967. I know it was '67 as that was the processing date on the photos. I asked if I could scan them and post them here, so here they are. He took them from the far end of he track on the spectator side by the hill. A couple of dragsters on the return road and 2 very popular wheel standers of the day going by on 2 wheels....the Freedom Machine, Hemi Under Glass and the Little Red Wagon.

Attached Files:

9. Church Key

Church Key

Odd Job was from Malden,MA. Chuckie Little owned and drove it, seen here working on the motor. The guy on the far side of the car is Vinny Cannon. They later ran an A/FC called "Little Cannon". Chuck is now building a blown Corvette gasser.

10. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

11. Italian Stallion

Italian Stallion
    from Derry, NH

How cool is it when one of your old race cars turns up 25 years after it was last run? I sold the 215" chassis at the end of the 1977 season to a local guy who ran it for a year or so and I never saw it again. I was in the pits at NED during one of the nostalgia races in 1999 when I saw a familiar looking dragster. The current owners had an injected early Hemi with a Powerglide in the car and was running it in the NETO organization. We spoke and it surely was my old car! They had it updated with a new roll cage and were running the daylights out of it. Cool stuff.

Attached Files:

12. Don't think so and it belonged to my buddy from woburn and his father sold it while we were in nam and he lost track of it. It had a 327 - 375hp and 4 speed, if it had wings it would've flown.
    He raced it a few times at epping

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is your car again about five years ago, this time with a blown HEMI.

14. coupemerc

coupemerc

Here are a few that I took when I was about 12. Can't remember who was driving the JJ Pro Stocker. Writing on the back of the Ivo picture says that it was from the 5th Annual Grand American. Final round was Ivo verses the "Hemi Hunter"

Attached Files:

15. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is an early version of the Bernier & Bacon BB/D. This before the super long Haulin Chassis cars.

16. Italian Stallion

Italian Stallion
    from Derry, NH

The car still looks great, do you know if they are still running it? Thanks for sharing a more current photo.

17. Church Key

Church Key

I attend all four nostalgia meets NED each year. I have not seen it recently, it seems to show every once in a while.

18. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Pete Tropeano built the chassis for the Ellison & McGarvey Opel and also did some of the driving. O.J. McKinney and Arnie Karp also drove. For short while they ran with a T body to run in an altered circuit. The chassis would get lengtened and a Mustang II body and serve as their first funny car.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  19. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

awesome pix

i moved to NH bout 3 yrs ago and live pretty close to NED, havent checked it out yet

20. xdragnewsphotog

xdragnewsphotog
    from Loudon NH

Lots of great shows there, Nice having a new National Event there this June and a new Hot Rod Reunion in Sept!!

I'm sure I'll run into Jack there but hope to run into others from the forum. I'm planning on the Fri of the Nat Event and Fri and Sat of the reunion.

21. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

jack what year was this car run?,...was it before the willys?,..cool pic!

22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will be at all the nostalgia events and the Hot Rod Reunion in September. If you see us stop and say hi.

23. Church Key

Church Key

The Opel ran from 72 to 74 then turned into a funny car in 75. Prior to the Opel they had the 33 Willys in 70 and 71, and before that a 41 Willys.

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the 33 Willys (the reconstructed car in 2003-4).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more from 70-71
    [​IMG]

26. Here's one taken at a car show(not sure which one but I think it was a local thing in either Peabody or Salem.My wife used to work with Bob at Thomas Ford when they were on Foster St(?) in Peabody so it had to be around 74 or 75.

Attached Files:

27. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] I found a cover photo of the Booth & Michaud A/G car on another thread.

1blown57 likes this.
  28. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG]This picture is from 1967. Before on board starters all the hot comp cars were push started from the far end of the track via an acess road from the pits. Jim Mahan has fired up the Camberlain, Delaney, and Mahan BB/D and is heading for the starting line. The following year they would team up with Tom O'Connell and build a brand new A/FD. The Dragmaster car was bought from Dick Roberts of Reading, MA. He ran it on gas and fuel at Sanford.

29. farrigno

farrigno
    from mass

jack,dick Roberts any relation to don Roberts?

30. Church Key

Church Key

They are just good friends with the same last name and from the same town. Don will check in and give the full story.