Register now to get rid of these ads!

New design open drive conversion for ford banjo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DICK SPADARO, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Keeping in the spirit of the HAMB as an up to speed source of newly designed products. Here is a sneek peak of the latest design open drive conversion in the works, yes I know it looks a little billet but if that bothers you, spray can black is at the hardware store.

This new design is as simple a bolting it on to the banjo! The unit is going to be available in 6 or 10 spline design and will fit early Ford passenger car banjo housings from 1935 to 1948.

The unit is O ring sealed to prevent leaks at the housing boss and features a bearing supported yoke and captured pinion coupler that does not need to be pinned for installation, simply index the splines and slide the parts together and bolt the unit up, neoprene seal stops any leak at the yoke flange.

Uses stock GM style universal, right now I am thinking that the part should be offered alone but have been leaning to combine with triangulated ladder bars for complete kit.

Trying to bring this in for around $295.00......Should be ready by York NSRA event. I'm up for suggestions though.

Attached Files:

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Really nice. Suggest an option where the part is blasted so that the nose matches the texture of the banjo. Also perhaps allen bolts but that's just me.

These are nits - it is a very noce piece and you obviously put a lot of thought into installation and maintenance.

3. VERY impressive looking piece.

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

5. Spadaro's is made in the USA though.

Just sayin'.....

JH

6. Look what Dick did and STUDY it! Pure genious. Makes all the conversions sophmoric at best. Dick, damnit you been watching us and just layed a better hand on the table! Wish i had thought of it!:eek::p:cool:

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

So, EVERYTHING in the Speedway catalog is made outside the US? Doubt it. I think the Hamb has tinted the glass on the facts.

Not saying that Dick's stuff is not better, but never had any problems with the stuff that's been available for years.

Boycott Speedy Bill if you will, but beat the quality, prices, and service you will not. Period.

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Speedway stole (copied) HotRodWorks design .... and now it fits like SHIT!!!!!
    Slope in the splines!!!!
    Would be a shame if its US made.

Buy HotRodWorks or Spadaro....

Real parts from real guys !!!

Michael

9. 31modelo

31modelo

Dick, very cool and easy. Thanks

Speedway = Capatialist Ogre

10. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

11. Anderson

Anderson

Very very cool. And for the same price as Speedway, what possible justification could you have to not buy Spadaro's? And the o-ring seal is a much better design too.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is kinda timely. I've been thinking about the conversion and if Dick can keep his cost projection down I'll be getting one from him. For sure not all of Speedways parts are made off shore but the 3 that aren't no one is interested in.

Frank

13. Did I say EVERYTHING was made outside the states? Don't know what you're reading but it certainly wasn't my post.

....& yes, the quality, prices, & service can be met or beat by many. Dick Spadaro being one of them.

JH

14. Read the details, this is IMPROVED and better than anything out there, home-made or commercial. BOLT ON! FRONT BEARING TO SUPPORT THE PINION ETC..................very nice Mr Spadaro. Props to you and you engineers.

15. i agree,make the piece look like one unit but forego the allen bolts even though they are better quality they look too "billet"

16. when will this be available to the public?

17. TV

TV

You guys have done a great job with this, It should be a great mover. Good Luck.--TV

18. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Don't need no open drive line converter. :cool:

My torque tube works just fine. Besides, they make really cool exhaust pipes when they wear out. :)

SAFU

19. if you're converting to a T5 5 speed you need an open driveline unless T5 4wd with an adapter from Crazydaddyo on the hamb to run a torque tube and a banjo.

20. mattrat31

mattrat31

Not to get on anyone's bad side just stating a fact. I'm running four link so I basically have to run open drive. I didn't want this but I also dont want wishbones in the side of my door or going through my seat.

21. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Hi all, Y block in my forty with drive shaft and speedy bill rear banjo adaptor. Bad vibration at 2800 rpm's in 4th. checked the rear yoke, all kinds of play, can anything be done to fix? or, any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks, Tom