Register now to get rid of these ads!

New clutch? Stumpt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDiGio1960, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

Driving my 60' f100 today, and i came to a stop and went to put it in first and it wouldnt go... tried second, wouldnt go.... tried third, slightly went... cruised back home turned it off, and it would smoothly go into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... yet when its on it doesnt wanna go into either! my clutch pedal feels super weak.. is it just the clutch? or should i be more concerned? thank you! its a 223 i6 with 3 on the tree BTW!:confused:

2. racer67x

racer67x

sounds like the pressure plate not releasing the disc..or if it is you broke a syncro in the trans.

3. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

sounds like linkage.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Is the throwout arm adjusted correctly?

5. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

I know just about nothing about trannys... at least on how to work on them. syncro sounds like an exspensive word.. J scow, would you be talking about shifter linkage?

6. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

shifter linkage?

7. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

My biggest hint that it might be the clutch, is that the pedal pushes farther than normal, and seems like its not engaging all the way

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Is there adjustment on the throwout arm? Adjust it some more, so it pulls the arm sooner.

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging far enough to work properly. The fact that the column shifter can go into all gears when the truck is off is proof of that. Assuming it has mechanical clutch linkage you might be able to just adjust the rod on the part that goes on the throwout arm on the bellhousing and make it longer. You want about 1" of freeplay at the top of the pedal before it start pushing stuff around...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. Look for the obvious things first like an arm partially torn off the clutch linkage z-bar. See what you can see from the bottom of the clutch assembly, traces of metal shavings from the T.O. bearing or clutch fingers, a loose bellhousing or loose transmission. Look at all the mounts too.

Bob

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The clutch linkage has to be periodically adjusted as the clutch itself wears. Like others have already said, adjust the clutch properly and see if that fixes the problem. If not then it might be time to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate. Also while adjusting the clutch look for bent or cracked parts that my be causing more travel in the pedal and not operating the clutch itself properly.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The problem is in the clutch linkage and not the shifter or trans. The clutch is not releasing when the engine is turning.

I'd look closely at the "Z bar". The part that goes between the frame and the engine. It would often break at the welded arm. It could be either end. The Chevies would often crack from metal fatigue and open up but still stay in one piece. When it opens up the clutch loses travel and the disk won't release from the flywheel. I've welded up quite a few over the years. After it gets bent back to it's original location closing the crack, weld the crack and add a small gusset to prevent it from happening again. A pretty common problem.

13. squirrel

squirrel

does it have a hydraulic clutch? if so, might just need some more fluid, and probably a rebuild on the master cylinder and/or slave cylinder

but I can't tell what the symptoms are, is it hard to move the shifter into gear? or does the truck not move when you release the clutch?

14. Jim, I think he meant the trans wouldn't go into gear...but "slightly went" is slightly confusing.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My cousin's '60 Ford pickup had a hydraulic clutch.

16. Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaged.
    If its hydraulic and leaking that will be pretty evident.
    a wet disc will cause you trouble, bad seals ect.
    There's lots of parts that wear including the clutch disc itself. The holes in the pedal get egg shaped, the pins on the rod ends get worn, if its a z bar set up there's a a couple more holes, pins and the ball/socket ends as well. If each is just a little bit worn, when added up is quite a bit.

17. Or maybe the clutch just needs to be adusted. or if it is a hydraulic clutch (is shouldnt be but ya just never know) weak slave cylinder.

Just to muddy up the waters a little.

18. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

My old 67 International had a hydraulic clutch in it. One day I was sitting at a light on the way home and it started creeping forward. Ended up shifting to neutral, let the clutch out, back in and I could shift into gear again NP. Sitting in gear with the pedal held to the floor it would slowly start to creep forward just like letting out the clutch. Ended up putting a kit in the master cylinder, but it did make for a couple of WTF?!?! moments when it first happened...

I agree with the others here, it is probably either a clutch linkage issue, or if it is a hyraulic clutch, it could very well need a rebuild of the master and/or slave cylinders.

19. There ya go. Could be a weak slave cylinder. Get someone to mash the clutch while you lay under it and see if it travels all the way or just a little. Last hydraulic clutch I had I had to bleed it everyday to drive it to and from work. Finally I got paid and bled it once after replacing the slave.

20. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

So i got under the truck today, there is a leak coming from the slave cylinder. pretty bad on at that. also i think the clutch linkage is adjusted a little bit off. thanks for the help everyone, i really appreciate it