Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Chrome - Cleaning / Polishing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdmagnet, Jun 2, 2010.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Just got my hubcaps back from getting re-chromed. They pick up finger prints, dirt, crap really easy. I've been wiping with a rag to keep clean.

Can I start to use cleaners / polishing on them now or is there an aging period before touching them ?? Also is there any coatings to apply to make then shine longer / easier to clean ??

Thanks much !! :D:D

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

wax is your friend

3. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

4. Wax now, wax often.

5. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

wax, wax, then more wax. NO polishes or abrasives at all, unless you want to age the chrome.

One thing about new chrome, is that is shows dirt. When chrome is old, it is full of scratches, causing it to look duller. Therefore, dirt doesn't make it look much worse because the reflectivity is lower in the first place. New chrome shows dings a lot worse too.

How about some pics? I like me some shiny metal. :D

6. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Thanks for the advice on waxing !!!

I got a lead on a local company that does industrial chroming and will do small stuff on the side, so I thought I'd give them a try - quoted me less than 1/4 the cost of "professional" chromers. They don't do show quality work, nor make any repairs other than the prep work, but I was only looking to get some shine back into the old caps.

They certainly satisfied my needs !!! Now I'm looking at what other small things need to be more shiny !!!

Attached Files:

7. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

They look good in the pics. :cool: One thing to note with an industrial plater, is that they will most likely have chrome only; as in no nickel underneath. They won't have copper either, but that isn't as important with your particular pieces. If the base metal is brass, then I can't imagine it being a big issue since brass is naturally resistant to oxidation, but if they are steel, then I would be concerned with protection against the elements. If the place did have nickel plating and used it, you're golden as long as there is good adhesion, which will show with time. That is also where warranty value comes into play.

And for the record, I find nothing wrong with a less than show quality finish. Millions of people have been perfectly happy for over 80 years with factory quality chrome plating on their new cars; which is almost never show quality. I have seen some factory chrome work on classic Rolls Royce and even some Mercedes parts that was very impressive.