Register now to get rid of these ads!

New carb causes overheating problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavistyle, Sep 15, 2011.

1. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I recently replaced my worn out edelbrock 600 with a holley 600, now my SBC wants to jump to 210. When I am driving it will drop to around 190 sometimes as low as 170. With the edelbrock she always stayed around 175. So Wth could be the issue?

2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Lean condition. Need to check the jetting, or for a possible vacuum leak, maybe at the carb base or something.

Just remember lean = fast, but hot.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Could you have shanged vac hookup to distributor from manifold to ported when you moved hose to new carb??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

its a lean condition. read your plugs. fatten it up before you hurt the valves.

5. Or the pistons. Sounds like it is running lean to me also, could be a jetting problem or it could be a vacuum leak. You have plugged all the vac holes that you are not using right?

6. I have yet to find a carb that was jetted right for every engine right out of the box. Sounds lean to me also.

7. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Good point, I have seen the large port at the baseplate on the back of the carb missed several times. Its easy to miss on a holley as it is tucked under the rear metering block pretty well.

Also blown a cap off of that port a couple times with good backfires :D

Scot

8. Babyearl

Babyearl

X2 here,,

9. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I have all the ports capped, The large back port is going to a PCV valve as well as the large front port. all others are used or blocked. Which port should be used for the distributor. Is 210 too hot? it never really goes over that.

10. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Any word on this?

11. R Pope

R Pope

Put the Eddy back on!

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

what they all said is pretty much it.vacuum leak because of bad gasket install or missed plugging up, unused ports or distributor hose is on the wrong port.or you way to lean.and im leanin on lean

13. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Yes!! I missed a large port on the front of the carb. I plugged that and also adjusted my distributor. she is running very cool now @ around 170-180. The oil pressure drop to 30 now at idle. The motor also (before dist. adjustment) blew out the manifold and header gaskets. I replaced the header gasket and am in the process of replacing the gasket between the header and block. It must be from pre ignition or something, it was popping really bad and i had a 4 layer metal gasket that it blew right threw. Since the adjustments its not popping anywhere near as bad.

14. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho