Register now to get rid of these ads!

New car museum in Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank

Just like the article states, I had heard about it but never heard when or if it would open. Just like Dallas to forget to promote such things. Looking forward to checking this out soon.

"Taking a Spin Around the Texas Museum of Automotive History Parked at Fair Park"
    http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/03/taking_a_spin_around_the_texas.php

​More than a year ago we mentioned that Fair Park would be getting a new attraction: the Texas Museum of Automotive History, which would be parked in Grand Place -- the very site where the Ford Motor Co. had its exhibit during the Texas Centennial Exposition in 1936. But aside from a grand-opening party-slash-fundraiser a few months back, there's been little talk about it since. Turns out, it's been open for a couple of months; as chairman and CEO Stephen Page puts it, the museum remains "one of the city's best-kept secrets." Which is why Danny Fulgencio and I were invited for a tour earlier this week.

I highly recommend his tour of some 80 cars presently parked in the venue. Amazingly, though, the State Fair of Texas is forcing Page to park the classic cars -- on loan from 40 collectors -- elsewhere during the fair. (The cars will move over the Museum of Nature & Science space when it decamps for the new Perot Museum in two years.) Apparently, Errol McKoy needs the space to sell Ginsu knives.

Aside from the cars, Page has built a small cinema inside the theater, where John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix plays on a double bill. There's also a "restoration factory," which Page says will accommodate somewhere between 200 to 400 DISD students interested in restoring older cars while learning how to repair newer ones ("They're all computers," as Page puts it). He's already formed a partnership with the W. H. Adamson High School, whose students helped refurbish the building once used for flea markets during the off-season.

And for those wondering why Fair Park's an appropriate venue for a car museum: As Page and city officials point out, the first car race in Texas was held at Fair Park's old horse-racing track in 1901. And there was that Grand Prix back in '84, held on the hottest day ever.

2. strapingyunglad

strapingyunglad
    from ga

DARN YOU!!! i live in dallas ga and the title got me all exited.

3. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Wow! I can't believe they are going to give these school kids a chance to learn while working on some oldies. That's about badass! I'm on board if there is anything we can help with.

4. Cool! Hafta check it out.

5. What a choice location for something like this in Dallas.....NOT

6. pcterm2

pcterm2

gotta check that bad boy out-thanks

7. scrubba

scrubba

Hey, I used to build exibits for the Texas Historical society. I was always wondering as when I used to enter the Famed Texas Hall of state as to why the automobile history was no where to be found ! Shoot, you had so much to be thankfull for as the automobile brought commerce and life to the South West .

I say it should have been built when I was living in the area . What a great place to host it too as the Magnolia building is / was one of my favorites ! scrubba

8. Is this in the building where they have the new car show at the fair? Off topic, but my dad painted one of the origional murals on the side of the building in the 30's, then helped restore it in the 90's.

9. [​IMG] Pic of mural. If this is the wrong building,sorry just proud of my late dad.

10. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

This is awesome!!! I didnt know it was open yet!!! Gonna have to check it out soon! :)