Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Car and Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spedley, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Spedley

Spedley

Well I was gonna wait till I got it home for some pics before I posted anything on here about it, but I just acquired a '51 Chevy 2dr styleline project. I'm just soo damned excited about this thing and what I want to do to it that I was hopeing to get some insight on a few things.

First, why is it so many customizers use '50 Ford back windows when they chop these cars?? The back window seems soo similar to the original, is it just for the look?? Is it gonna make a chop that much easier??

Second, I've been planning an S10 frame swap for it, kinda nice to get the reassurance in the braking dept, not to mention modern suspension parts availability. Do these long bed, reg. cab pickup frames need to be shortened?? I was thinking of a 292, T5 combo for it, but not so sure how well the inline will fit. Anyone mount an I6 in an S10 frame? I also may have a nailhead/trans. available to me for a real good price, so its a possibility too. Both will need to be rebuilt, so it just may be the 6 for now,as the nailhead could get a little pricey.

Oh ya, I won't have the thing home till next weekend, so pics will have to wait. Thanks for the help.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

A friend of mine did a 51 but instead of using a differant frrame he used a 73 firbird front clip and rear end.The clip slides directly into the stock frame like it was made to and the rear end slid into place as well. The only thing is if you want to run big rear tires that may present a problem for you .Also if you chop it and have the original glass you can basically lean the back glass forward into the roof without cutting.I figured it would save you some work and it's worth looking into.Chopped 51's look great and that seemed to be a much easier way to make everything work.Good Luck

3. Spedley

Spedley

Well I thought about clipping, but I'd rather just roll a whole frame under it. Aren't the f-body clips too wide anyways??

I was just gonna use the stock backlight and lean it forward, but when I see guys chopping these, it seems like quite often shoebox glass is their choice.

4. Spedley

Spedley

Come on, someone else must be able to give their opinion!

5. Spedley

Spedley

Anyone with S10 swap help????

6. no

i hear they just roll right under...nothing to it

7. lone wolf

lone wolf

i used a 73 buick frame,fit pretty good.if i ever did another one i will use the floor too.

8. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

can't comment on the tech, but i like the car and plan :D

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

no man like I said the 73 firebird clip lined up perfectly to the 51 frame and it almost literally fell together. The 76 firebird rear fit the perches dead on without moving anything, you can even use the firebird springs because everything lines up like it was made for it.Used the steering box all and suspension from the 73 upfront and changed the steering column.perfect fit. If I can get pics and figure out how to post them I will for proof

10. Shoprag

Shoprag

my buddy on his 51 used a 64 to 67 chevelle frame. I think he said 6-8 of the body mounts lined up. He said he tried the s 10 frame and the s10 front clip and the chevelle frame fit like a glove.