Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New Camera so I did some art shots of the '38 n '29

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jim galli, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jim galli

jim galli

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sticking my neck out here. I realize art and pre-war Fords are strange bedfellows. Most hotrodders don't get art. Most artists don't get hotrodders. I dig both.

If anyone's curious, these were done with a Nikon D300 (new 2 me) and what I used was the front light from some antique binoculars cobbled onto a Nikon bellows. About an 8 inch lens so you end up with detail shots mostly.

These are mood shots. An acquired taste. You won't be comfortable with them at first, but tonight they'll be in your dreams.

Enjoy. Or not.

catdad49 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Love the plane cap on the A. Never been a fan of the art shots, but I'll study on a while. I do like the pix, Carp

3. sololobo

sololobo

cool shots, yeah that plane cap is very cool.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was never a fan of the blurred look, but it works in a lot of eBay sales to unhappy buyers. Bob

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not in the mood

6. I read once photographers get the blurred look by smearing a light coat of vasoline on the lens. Have no idea if it's true.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Rocky,
    Most photographers with detachable lenses have a Skylight Filter on them. That way any oil or Vaseline only gets cleaned off of the detachable Skylight Lens and does not damage the $$$$ lens itself. I tried the oil film and it worked...the result is not equal to the trouble it was to clean the detachable Skylight Lens. Now, most photo programs have a haze filter you can manipulate on the computer to make it look hazy. Some have a 100 different effects. A clear in-focus shot always seems to be the best and then the computer program takes over.

Jnaki
    In the old days, women's nylons, thin rice paper, wax paper, etc. All extra stuff was tried to make the photos more attractive to certain customers and your own eye.

8. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks everyone. Hot rodders are a tough audience, but that's OK. I don't post this stuff on the photo sites. That's too easy.

9. Long before the lens artist like Claude Monet did much the same work with a brush,impressionism.

I see artistic photography and impressionism like everything else when I am not wearing my glasses,out of focus! :D HRP

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I'm not sure I agree with the "most hotrodders don't get art" comment. Most hotrod builders I know are extremely creative and artistic in nature. The photos on the other hand had me thinking I need new glasses.

cretin likes this.
  11. jim galli

jim galli

Good point, well taken. Arguably, hot rods are works of art. (unless I had anything to do with them). But for most hot rodders the scope does not cross over much into other venue's. Maybe that's too broad a statement too. Anyways, the pics are fwiw. I was sort of proud of them but then, I thought, "I'm probably crossing over into facebook-look-at-me land posting this stuff. Something I do not do.