Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New bullet for the Falcon, part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cooljunk, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Put a 4.56 gear in and you will be in the 10s for sure

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

A 4.30 gear might work even better, get ready to update your cage Jeff.

Jon

3. 69fury

69fury

NICE! Imma have to get on the stick-you guys are giving me the itch to tell the wife "yeah, the new baby's cute-i'm heading out to the garage..." -rick

4. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Jeff what was your 60 foot at Milan?

Jon

5. cooljunk

cooljunk

60 ft. In the low 1.50''s. Yes, thinking about upgrading the cage.

6. cooljunk

cooljunk

Went to Lapeer Dragway for T&T Sat. Ran 11.13 to start. Tried 4 hole carb spacer instead of open spacer, no help, tried 850 Holley for the 750, no help, bumped the timing up, all changes just a little slower. Back to original set up.
    Monday a friend came buy to visit, looking at the Falcon he said hey theirs water coming out of your header! # 5 cylinder full of water.
    [​IMG]
    This is how an old man with a bad back pulls a head.
    Head gasket looked Ok, had a friend look at the head and he spotted this.
    [​IMG]
    A clean rusty spot in the carbon in the exhaust port. Did a quick leak check.
    [​IMG]
    Sure enough a drop of water appeared. Took it to Sperry Welding in Capac Mi. He is supposed to be the man for cast iron welding. Saw some examples of great work.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bummer! Hope you can get it fixed cheaper than buying a new head!

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Cooljunk:
    Looks like you're in good hands with your welder.....being all geared up with pressure testing eqpt he's obviously done a few of these type jobs before.
    Pre-heating seems to be the biggest concern with welding cast iron....bring it up slow,bring it down slow,and it should be fine.
    If you have a spare block with a nice square deck on it maybe you could bolt it down to prevent any warpage when it's cooling off?

Scott

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Heating slowly, and cooling slowly are definitely important, but even the best precautions can still end in catastrophe! Believe me, I've been there and lost an original 1969 427 Chevy block when it split wide open as it sat wrapped in a blanket inside an oven after the welding went perfect.
    Most the time things go well, but in welding cast, stuff can happen beyond your control.

10. cooljunk

cooljunk

The welder explained all the procedures to me. I think he will do a good job. We (Geat Lakes Gassers) have a race at Milan June 21 &22, if I get the head in time I will run the BBC or I can go back to the SBC.

11. cooljunk

cooljunk

Well the welder is having some problems with the head so it's back to the SBC for the race this weekend. Got it fired up today. Hate to go backwards!!