Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New builds featuring the 55-62 style show custom touches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, Oct 16, 2012.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

Here's my 54 ImageUploadedByTJJ1351837154.084753.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1351837174.815962.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1351837197.228615.jpg

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

im building a 36 ford in a mid to late 50s showy style. i cant bring myself to do a lot of radical mods but theres a couple of tricks. enough to keep it out of the mild custom category. theres a lot of 35 36 coupes in the 40s style (and who can blame them?) , but i love early show cars and bikes from this threads topic.my last bike build was based around this era, im sticking with it.

3. another very small step to being a true full custom today

Attached Files:

4. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

were working on 54 dodge rag top as soon we get working on body will post the kustom work .

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Awesome!! Anybody else??

6. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Here's my '62 T-Bird done in '60's style. Sold it to a buddy in 2004. Bought it back in 2010. Time for a redo. Sorry for the pic. quality. All asymetrical styling ...

tb7 (800x600).jpg

tb6 (800x600).jpg

100_1284 (800x600).jpg

tb5.jpg

7. Cortney

Cortney

Bttt! I'd like to see more!!

8. getting closer on some recessed and moulded stainless lakes

Attached Files:

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to interject a thought here on this topic. Toward the end and a few years past what the OP is asking for wasn't really the most proud moment of the radical kustom. It's more the begining of an era that I like to call the "Golden Age of Gorp". There were some cars that seemed like Timothy Leary was the next Barris. Restraint was out the window, fur was in, TVs, more headlights and antennae than a fleet of old sci-fi space ships. While even during the best years not every kustom was something of awe and inspiration, that time after seemed to signal that if some's good, more's better. There's a tendancy to cherish anything from back then regardless of execution. How many times has someone dragged out an old roadster that was clobbered together with a stick welder and angle iron, miss-matched headlights, shitty suspension, then we hear "...save it!" and "...exactly how it was done...", but the reality is there were hacks back then too. Perhaps the 1st of the dreaded rodent species. The best and most restrained designs were few, those aritsans had been at it for some time already, cars of that era as sold new were damn near perfect as is. Add paint and wheels, give it a stance, hop up the engine, done deal. "May Cause Dangerous" was a stunner and really hit the mark of that time, radical only by today's standards, and even then not really radical. Radical paint to be sure, but on some of those early to mid 60s cars that were "Leary inspired" ( or maybe it was in the water?), the best paint in the cosmos couldn't make em any better. I'm not sure if I like the hot rods or kustoms better from that time. The mild kustom was class, those touches added to a hot rod simply worked and made them more pleasant than the typical salt laiden hiboy.

I'll stop there and let the rest interested in this to give their thoughts and examples. Imperial's 'bird is getting the best of both ideals from what he's showin us. Restrained application of radical touches and it's working really well.

Next...

10. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah i love late 50s - 60s style, im sooo bored of the new era style kustoms that are being built today, which basically involves a chopped top and a few things shaved here and there, stock grill and tail lights. BORING! 50 mercs are all starting to look alike... i like canted quads and stude pans wild style.

Im working on my 54 merc, got quad headlights, pancaked hood, i acquired a bunch of studebaker pans and 2 57 desoto grills, so cant wait to get it done, but lots of rust to take care of.

11. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah i love late 50s - 60s style, im sooo bored of the new era style kustoms that are being built today, which basically involves a chopped top and a few things shaved here and there, stock grill and tail lights. BORING! 50 mercs are all starting to look alike, getting tired of every 55-57 chevy being turned into a gasser, what happened to radical kustom tri five chevys... i like canted quads and stude pans wild style.

Im working on my 54 merc, got quad headlights, pancaked hood, i acquired a bunch of studebaker pans and 2 57 desoto grills, so cant wait to get it done, but lots of rust to take care of.

12. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Hey merc. Sounds cool. Post some pics of the Custom work

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Im callin BS till I see some pics ha-ha. Dude send that front Bumper grill to me!!! Sounds like a killer build.......Pics Please!!!!

14. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

lol, not bs, hes my brother, its a long ways from done, but its a lot of work, unfortunately the more the he digs on the car the more to fix, but I cant wait to see it whens its done.

And the white 51 with the gold scallops is one of friends car and clubs so I cant wait to see the line up together

15. I'm doing a semi-street/show custom. I don't really know if it'd fit in here, but its a one piece body and other assorted body mods, lucas lights, tuck and roll (with tag cover, pedal covers, steering wheel cover, and soon to have a tonneau cover). Its also got a dressed up 292, and I'm gonna do the engine in tuck and roll the same time I do the trunk. Its heavily influenced by the pictures I've seen of midwestern and west coast car shows, and from stories from old timers. Its like if the Jimmy V '54 ford and the victorian had a kid. So, its still pretty boring I guess, unless you like little show point details

I've still got a lot more ideas I could use, and might just save up for a more wild car

16. Man I can't wait until I have the space and money to do all these things to my '56. I want a crazy kustom from this era so bad.

17. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

not going to have pictures up for a while, i got the front end off to do some rust repair, maybe some time in the future i will let out a sneak peak. The car is a bucket unfortunatly, just about every panel is rotted out except for the doors thank god. i had to make the bottom half of the driver quarter panel, and will probably do the same for the passenger.

18. lukey

lukey

ImageUploadedByTJJ1353251892.759799.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1353251910.446434.jpg
    Here is a photoshop that somebody on here did for me, not real wild, but i really like it. This is what I am going to aim for with mine... Possibly with fadeaway paint.

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thats a great looking mild Custom Lukey.

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

throw some 58 desoto headlights in it!

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That would be cool

22. Even though I've made my 'cut-off' on my styling at like '55, I love Chopmerc's car.

23. Olskoollou

Olskoollou

Good Morning
    This is a cool thread. I am building a 63 Skylark,something like a Bell Flower custom. I am a huge fan of Larry Watson and Gene Winfield. So far to date here is whats done; All the side chrome is gone and filled, the car is dropped 3 inches all around, the door handles are shaved as well as the trunk lid, '50 Mopar taillights(4 of them) are frenched in as well as the rear bumber has been sectioned and moulded in. There is a new body line around the wheel well openings in the rear. I got the inspiration from the lil pages archive. I also have but haven't installed are Chrysler quad head lights,Bell Flower tips, slotted aluminum mags and a tube grill for the front and maybe rear sim to an Alaxander Brothers car.
    I was schooled by the Kustom Kings (My Dad, Dick Edwards, Alan Berry and sooo many other great hot rodders) as a teen and always strive to do the work myself. I have do do this on the cheap as 2 kids, a great wife and dog take up all my extra cash and time.
    I am planning on stitching the interior myself in metalflake vinyl to match the top. Any tips on how to sew would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

24. Some good points. Desirable parts are hard to find, and expensive. For me, I'm having a hard time making the leap. If I use this grill it changes the direction of the build completely. But I know I have a full custom in me, and it's gotta come out! So I'll ask again. Will this work? Or do I need to back off on the "medication"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Copied from hot Rod surfer's Kustom trucks thread;

Okay that's it, this thread has finally given me the push I needed. Over the last couple of days I have managed to source a set of almost NOS 58 Impala headlight assemblies and 57 Chevrolet truck grille to cut up and play with. Sometime in the not too distant future they will be going into this;
    [​IMG]

In a similar though not identical fashion to this;
    [​IMG]

I haven't been able to get this front-end treatment out of my head since Mo made me aware of it sometime back, and this thread has given me the kick up the ass I needed to stop procrastinating and make my mind up. I will post the build thread later in the year when we finally get into it.
    Besides, I have always liked my kustoms with a K, not a c.
    Thanks to George Barris and Johnny Zupan for the inspiration.
    Paul

26. autobilly

autobilly

Paul, that treatment would look killer on the 'Kart!

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tinbender, double down on the meds, and throw the coal to it! Anyone can build a ''safe'' little kustom, jus 'bout like every other ''safe'' little kustom. If later you deside you've over played your hand- how's the saying go? '' it's only metal ''!
    That helve should get good use, making new panels to fill in that grille shell:D

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Without reading the thread, I'll say Masterson is the king of this!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  29. 'Mo

'Mo

Hey, K.F. '58 Chevy lights? Pointy bezels and all?
    I don't remember ever seeing them in a canted position, inward or out.
    ('59's, yes.) They will certainly make for a unique appearance, if you can pull it off.

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey 'Mo, I'm only going to be using the 58 assembly not the bezels. Over here you have to take what you can get your hands on. I have a set of 61 Thunderbird headlamp surrounds that have a nice groove pattern and are real nice and symmetrical so I'm thinking of having my custom man fabricate some kind of surround for those. I'm going to have to cut the 57 truck grille down to size anyway, so I'm due a visit to the chromers at some point so I guess it doesn't matter how many parts I have to take.
    Like I said, this is not going to be an exact copy of Johnny's front-end, I'm just using it as a template for my own ideas. I'm going to try and keep the styling simple but effective. Mind you, I do have a few Pontiacs stars that would look real nice in gold metal flake floating in the centre grille section;)! It's really hard to look at parts in pictures and hoping that they'll work, as opposed to searching junkyards, holding the parts in your hand and knowing that you'll be able to make it fly. Unfortunately it's a luxury we don't have over here, so we'll have to get what we can and make it work best as we can and make it all up as we go along. Once again thanks a lot for putting me on to that particular truck as I haven't felt as excited about the project as I am now for ages. Coincidentally, my Chevrolet grille is due for delivery today! Oh boy!
    Paul