Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

DUDE, what are you doing up at 3:30 AM??? Oh, that's my time, not yours.

Oh, and I am NOT a workaholic! I'm as lazy as the next guy.

I'm loving all the great input from both forums, PMs, and emails.

Tod

2. edfueler

edfueler

Hello. As an A owner in Australia, I'm busily driving a lot of miles gathering good useable A blocks. I have followed these posts avidly. The idea of a newly cast, reasonably priced A block is incredibly exciting to me. Good on you, Tod. I look forward to seeing your fantastic contribution to the Banger world. -Ed

3. kevins29truck

kevins29truck
    from ohio

I was at Tod's friday afternoon, and saw the new block. Wow, words and pictures do not describe how well this turned out. I looked it over closely and there is nothing that poses a machining issue. it should be a dream to finish out. Tod's pattern work is incredible and the changes everyone mentions should be obtainable. Absolutely great looking block. Ford made many changes from october of 27 till late 31 and then post production. Tod picked up where ford left off and made many great subtle changes himself. This is an improved 3 main design. A great fit for the touring crowd or even street rod crowd.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes, 5 cam bearings in the 3 main block would be good for the OHV needs on the street. Less cam flex. most all of the OHV heads are using 1.3:1 up to 2.0:1 rocker ratios. Throw in push rods, big valves, and heavy springs, and now there is a lot more load on the cam.

5. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Tod,
    Hmm, 3:30 am ? Geeze, ain't going to get 8hrs sleep 'today',eh :) !
    And, I was up half of what was left of the night....thinking of what I am doing on YOUR new creation. Holy smoke..I saw myself at Bonneville smokin the tires (on sand:confused:) ! And, giving Jim Brierley and John Nielson..a run for the V4 speed class record:D Wife said..'remember your heart'..yikes !

NOTE:
    Do not forget to send me pictures of progress.

6. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Yeah, 3:30. It caught up with me and I had to take a 2 hour nap this afternoon. I got up and took my medication for the residual effects of the massive stroke I suffered in 2005. Quite a life changer!

Now I know why John wants to build something killer. It's to go after you! I don't think I've ever talked with Jim yet. I'd sure like to be there to see it all go down.

Time to watch my hobby on TV. PBA.

Tod

7. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

Leave that step out as the original engines blocks of the time, that pad was not machined and was left with the same texture as the block when when stamped. This is just advise from a purist so you can do what you want it's your project.

As Tod stated athe internal changes are a "simple" mold change. I would think that he could offer a few different "flavors" depending on what he reads here. Three bearing block dead stock looking for the "purists". 5 bearing for those that want a more robust engine for speed. etc I hope you get the idea that I'm trying to get across.

Maybe he starts out with blocks for you speed guys first to get some cash in to fund this, then brings in a bone stock guy to go over the little things that the purists are looking for later. The combinations are almost endless, exciting, and ultimately Tod's.

This is not a negative post in any way shape or form.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Mike,
    Some good input for Tod ! That's what we all need , and what he wants to know !

I also agree with you, that the 'upgraded' (meaning 5mains/5 cam/full pressure,etc) blocks will sell quick and MORE of ! Of all the guys that I have talked to and listened to over the years...the overwhelming percentage wanted to improve A/B internals, but found that is TOO EXPENSIVE on these old blocks. No one ever was heard to say..I want less durability and horsepower ! Point being that you have same point as to sales for Tod.
    Since Tod has already stated that the outside of said blocks will be stock looking, that is now a moot point !

Maybe one of the computer savvy guys here can figure out a way/register so that guys , FROM ALL OVER, can log in and give their interest in buying and number/type of blocks, so that these numbers can then be given to Tod for consideration/production. Could be by individuals; by country, by clubs polling their members and by builders needing stock. Maybe name/phone number of person(s) wanting engine(s) , so that contact can be made when engines available and updates given to those on list ? Hey, just trying to get some energy working. This kind of help should not put a burden on Tod and surely could / would be of help in estimating production numbers..no ? I'm not smart enough (computer illerate,eh:p) to generate and further the idea in computer format. What you think Tod ? Would this idea( some kind of login) help or hinder ?

9. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Rick,

I love the idea of getting some kind of numbers idea going. That would tell me what will be selling most, up front, and I can work that way first. It is pretty much a stock A right now, but the way I made the pattern I can make different versions VERY easily. I discussed this with Kevin29 when he was at the shop Friday. I have abundant knowledge resources at my disposal, like Snyder's, the Prus boys, and some forum members that live nearby. My foundry owner is a Model A guy.

When I get time, I will post a basic list of what I think people want to see. If there is enough interest I could even cut another half pattern for the B block crowd. That way, if they wanted an externally looking B block they could get one.

Tod

10. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Mike,

The reason I spoke of machining the pad was the blocks I have in the shop appear to have been machined. If they weren't, I can certainly do less work!

Why would anyone take what you said as negative? Good points you raise here. Even on the FB I didn't take anything posted as negative, but one person did veer from the topic of the block to asking me to explain my intentions and motives. Sorry, but I don't have to explain myself to anyone on this planet.

Tod

raven likes this.
  11. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

Too used to being pissed on as a purist on the Barn I guess.

We could set up a poll on here. You could give several choices based on what you have read so far and a "other" choice that the reader can explain in the thread.. And the readers can vote on which they would buy. Once you get an idea of what the market is, we could then create a poll for how many of the type they like. I know polls can be done on the Barn and this is the same software.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  12. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

THAT is a great idea. I have some work to do this morning first, but if we look at our ideas so far we have:

1) A stock looking A block with stock A interior.
    2) A stock looking A block with B friendly interior.
    3) A stock looking A block with AR cam journals.
    4) A stock looking A block with 5 main journals for cam and crank.

5) A few variations, including (but not limited to) aluminum blocks, no ports, moved ports, B ports, full water jackets where there are no ports, pinned caps, billet caps (pinned), and probably some I'm not thinking of right now.

How can we (or is it ME) set up this poll and get things rolling?

Tod

13. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

You need to start a new thread. on the bottom under additional options are the options for the poll. If it were me I would set a time limit say two weeks and I would allow for more than one vote in the poll.

I can do it later today if you like. I just got off work and I'm ready for bed.

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Tod,
    If you start a new thread for the poll, post a link to it on this thread. That way we can find it easier.

Not all of us read the main board on a daily basis.

15. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

ok.

16. Any chances of a picture of that?

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I wanted 5 mains so I got a Dodge. Maybe not to easiest way to do it. But if I was making a new A based block, I would absolutely want 5 mains and cam bearings. The outside would look as stock as i could get it. Unfortunately, replacement blocks are not legal in V4 and V4F at SCTA/BNI meets.

18. banjorear

banjorear

I'm interested in this now too. Since I believe the French V8 flathead blocks are not "legal" even though correct, would this newly created, but original looking block be legal as well?

I applaud your efforts and can only imagine how much work went into doing something like this.

19. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Tod,
    Thanks for feedback !

Hey Mike,
    'I can do it later today'
    YOU are a good guy and us less gifted guys appreciate the way you step up to help organize this for Tod's production :) !

NOTE:
    It's a 'given' that no $ has been talked yet, so this is akin (wish list)to what we will buy , if can afford,eh ! MORE blocks equal (maybe;)) lower cost per unit...at least that's what I THINK ...supply/demand means ?

A lot of guys are even less computer skilled than I (can barely navigate here:eek:) , so let's make sure that we spread the news to them and others , i.e.- to MAFCA, F.A.S.T. , etc TO PLEASE participate in poll/log ! It's in all our interest.

Maybe LOG/POLL should have provision for email or ph # or ? ...for updates to potential buyers ?

20. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

THE POLL IS UP

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=872993

Please take this seriously you are not committed to buy in any way but please think realistically when it comes to quantity, If you would truly buy 2 or more then good select that one but if in the real world you would save up for one select that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  21. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

As you know this is just for Tod to get an idea on what to produce to get back his investment ASAP. I'm sure when the time comes he will have a thread with pictures and such.

Baby steps.

22. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Send an email to my A block specific email, [email protected] and I will send you one.

Tod

<!-- / sig -->

23. Jiminy

Jiminy

Would someone educate me on the external differences between an A block and a B block?

Btw, if I was going to all this work and expense to create a better than new block I would find a semi-conspicuous place to put my initials so that those in the know could check and walk away with a knowing smile. :)

24. RussTee

RussTee

Even if the block has 5 bearings and 5cam bearings a standard crank and cam should work?

25. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Russ,
    Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, and trying to come up with a reason why it wouldn't ! Geeze that would be a waste of 5by5 tho,eh:) ! I was also wondering about the B fuel pump (opening/appearance). Just put a cap on it as we have done for ages...or use it for pump if you will. I don't see many guys using a B pump tho, because of this area being taken up by use of a oil filter system...then stock pump won't fit in.

BTW Russ,
    Where are all those New Zealand banger /club guys? Get them stirred up to give poll input...hey Derek..wake up :)!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  26. No, it will not work unless you machine out the main webs to clear the crank. The cam can be used but then you have lost the ability to bolt in a "U" support. You could weld in a couple of rings to the cam and machine/grind for bearings.

There have been instances where a 5 main crank has been hung in a 3 bearing block. It is not the ideal situation, but has been done.

John

27. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Hoi Tod,
    I would take at least one for myself here in Belgium but I have a couple of banger friends here in Belgium and Holland. I'll ask around and maybe I can work something out with the UK crowd.
    Thanks for all the work you put in this project.
    Eddy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Good plan Eddy - keep in touch. I'm east coast side anyway, about 40 miles from Felixstowe docks.

29. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Ok hotrodfil, I'll keep following the progress on the block. See you in Pendine?
    Eddy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

hotrodfil,

Please email me at [email protected] to discuss blocks for the UK and/or continental guys.

Tod