Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

drtrcrV-8,

PM me and let's discuss this overhead offering. It just may be that this first block could be used for that. Less machining means it gets out quicker. I'm not sure how large the overhead "crowd" is but that niche may help things get going even quicker.

Tod

2. Tod,

I don't think I would worry about making a 5 bearing version.
    Honestly, the crowd needing this is very small.
    If it was me, I would plan on "B" main cap centerlines (2.750) and offer both "A" and "B" main bearings. This gets most of the guys covered and still use original cranks or new ones. IHMO, a 3 bearing motor can run up to about 150hp just fine.

I like what I see so far, add deck material and webbing below the studs. Increase the lifter boss diameter too.

Keep us informed, John

3. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Tod

I am with John here the call for 5 mains will be small mainly due to cost factor of billet cranks etc
    While I would be interested in 1
    I would be more interested 2 or 3 of the std 3 bearing B main bearing blocks and I am sure I could move more blocks to other banger guys in this part of the world
    I will back up John on the deck, webbing and lifter bosses size to maybe the Mopar lift size that is the size most of us bore out for better cams now

Colin

4. +1
    Oil Gallery
    B main cap bolt spacing
    more deck thickness
    fatter lifter bosses
    more thickness above the inlet port ...... or just make the pre-ported and save us the grinding :eek:)

5. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

John, Colin, and Mark...I greatly appreciate the valuable input. Moving product is paramount. If the small issues of which you speak will aid in moving product they will be included. An internal oil galley is already in place for pressurizing the main and cam bearings.

It would be nice to know just how many up front buyers there might be. I have others investigating that for me in their sphere of customers but they might not have the full range I can get here.

Tod

6. i would be game for one for sure
    a west cost guy is basically doing the same thing as you
    he is having some casting problems at the moment
    we neeeeeeeed to seeeee some pics pleaseeeee
    tk

7. I like what I see as well. I am in the stock crown with some minor additions to update the engine for today's driving conditions. I also vote to beef things up along the 'B' block lines. But then again I am mostly stock, and if you keep the outside stock you will have many happy buyers in the stock category.

Mike

8. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Whatever became of the Donovan D engine, and how does it compare to this one?

9. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Tub,

If you PM me with your email address I will send you some pics. I put together a video this morning for a friend that I may just post on YouTube. Hate to make too much of a fuss right now though.

Tod

10. The Donovan block is available.
    It does not cross over very well to stock, it is performance oriented.
    It features 5 mains, 4 intake ports and alum casting with sleeves.

If it was legal for us to race I would make the investment there.

John

11. Cool! I might be into one.... Depending on cost...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I would imagine that anyone making anything for the stock model A crowd know that the cost of the part has to be low !!!!!

With that in mind, I would be up for a block or two. Definitely interested in the OHV version.

Pm sent

13. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Well, for you guys looking at cost, we are trying to figure out what the market will stand. If anyone thinks they can get a new American made block for the cost of an old original, well, that's not going to happen. Any ideas on pricing will be appreciated. I have an idea of where I need to be, so let's see how close you guys get to where I want to be.

Tod

14. I honesty have no clue what something like this really cost.....All I was getting at is 10k...im out....somewhere south of half that, im saving my pennies...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It depends on how "finished" the machine work is.

Rough machined with all holes drilled & tapped but still needs to be decked, bored, and line bored for cam and crank ....... $1000.00 to $1500.00

Finished machined for inserts, ready to assemble ....... $2,200 - $2,800.

16. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Anyone got a problem with those numbers? Pretty close to my windows.

Tod

ChupaJustin likes this.
  17. Now thats a number I can even afford!!

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Damn, my estimates were too high!!!!! ;)

19. RussTee

RussTee

Seems a fair price maybe you should talk to F.A.S.T. or the drylakes boys to see what they would allow at their events after all they are the guys who would spend on a new block the average restorer will make do with something near enough.

krbstr likes this.
  20. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Nope. Way too low!!! Ha.

Tod

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Sounds good to me. I'd be in.

23. Wooly

Wooly

I'm in...........

24. Problem with Bonneville and Lakes events is that this block is not legal for record.

Sorry, that is one reason why my opinion is not to worry about 5 mains.

If the Donovon block was legal, we wouldn't be buying stock in JB weld.

Sorry, J

25. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Are only original blocks legal for those records, then?

The plan is to offer the basic block to the widest market first and worry about niches as we move along. The only real cost I have in this project is pattern material cost. Since I do all the CAD work, CNC pattern cutting, foundry assembly, fixturing, machining programming and CNC machining myself my cost allows me to keep pricing where I can afford to help buyers afford the upgrade. Cost is always a factor so I will try to keep it as affordable as possible. As with my other engine block projects, the goal is to keep my end as close to one offering as possible and allow builders/distributors to make specific customer offerings. This way, I can cast and machine more, and end users can finish as they need to.

Tod

26. Tod,

yes, and with limited modifications (to the block). The current rules are this way, who can predict the future?

IMO, there are probably more street rod and drag racing cars than LSR.
    The market on the touring cars should be a good one also.

One place to inquire might be with the OHV market suppliers as this is specialty market and not restoration.

John

The Donovan "D" block would be worth looking at if you get serious about a "race" version.
    And then we add more...............

27. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Who would be the OHC and OHV guys to contact?

I have commitment from my foundy (the owner has a model A) to make a bunch more blocks for free since the first one was so nice. I have contacted the core shop and am putting this project in the schedule now so it doesn't sit around like it did before. I also have several (like 4 or 5) other new projects I am working on also. An aluminum 6 to 1 head, a dual plug head (for Snyder's airplane people), some Model T stuff, and a really cool looking thin wall cast iron tube header. I have already sampled the header and machined one. Looks good painted in heat resistant black paint from NAPA.

I might also cast an aluminum block to see how that looks. Anyone interested in that?

Tod

28. I think your my new hero!!!!!!!!!!

29. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Awesome. I may be interested in a block too.

30. Can I get one of those "FREE" blocks? :D