Register now to get rid of these ads!

New and need '30 Model A help

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by motorvation, Sep 1, 2009.

1. motorvation

motorvation
    from Colorado

Hey y'all. Been checking the board out for awhile and it's good! I finally did it by finding a super nice '30 5 window coupe (in pieces) but last saw the road in '58. Been garage kept! I'm trying to put it all together in my mind right now (probably fenderless). Not sure what motor yet but most likely a SBC with stick. My chassis is in excellent condition and I can't understand why I should not box it and use it? Most folks say buy a new chassis but the bottom line is mucho bucks. I want to do a 4 bar dropped axle in front with either a triangulated 4 bar/coil over rear or transverse spring/ladder bar rear. Would love input. I'm sure once I get past this point, I have many more Q's. Many thanks.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Model A frames aren't very rigid and if you're using anything other than a flathead, it's going to twist the heck out of it and the body will suffer as well, more so with a stick. Boxing the rails helps to stiffen it up as does any form of K member. Also, don't be so quick to ditch the fenders, especially if you are set on using a four bar and by the way, welcome to the H.A.M.B.

Sorry, I read to fast the first time and missed the point. By all means use the frame you've got.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. T-R-O-U-B-L-E

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
    BANNED

you'll be fine , go ahead and box that stock frame. I just put one of those TCI tri-angulated four links under a customer car and it worked out well. also used a four bar front from Speedway, good luck

4. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I am running a banger and the frame is fine- if I was jumping up to a 6 or 8 era motor I'd box the stock frmae- if I was using a modern crate motor I'd buy a modern frame.

5. fcarnut

fcarnut

Had a boxed stock frame under my 29 2dr Sedan for 30 years. Ran a 289 and 4spd. Split wish bones on the front. Could lite the tires all day long and I never had a problem. It was fully fendered and never had alignment problem or cracks. Enjoy the fruits of cheap.