Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical new 94's from China

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadbeat, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Who sells these

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Yes, I suppose I should have expanded on my comment. These carbs are very inconsistent in their quality control. Some work some don't. I do a lot of 97s and 94s. Run them on my test stand with a known good engine hooked up to an exhaust gas analyzer. When someone comes to me to straighten out a carb problem, I have them just bring me the carb and run it on my test stand. The Speedway carbs were really bad when they were first introduced. They are better now, just not worth it in my opinion. The carb that deadbeat purchased was a total nightmare to tune. When I got into it the screws feel like they would strip and the inside casting was so so. I value my time. If I have to spend an hour or two screwing around with something that that is cheap compared to quality it pisses me off.
    The Strombergs that Clive sells are excellent. Yes they are expensive but no grief to tune. The Edelbrock 94 is a good carb. Also you can get replacement parts for both carbs. The biggest problem, as noted by many in this post, is the quality control of the Chinese manufactured parts. I know many businesses that have products manufactured in China. They are over there a couple times a month making sure the stuff that gets loaded on the ship is correct. That costs money too. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment. I'm an old crusty bastard and just tell it like I see it.

barrnone50, 5window, deadbeat and 3 others like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

One thing to remember, the OP is in New Zealand. If I needed a carb I could in short time find a good rebuildable one. That doesn't seem to be the case in New Zealand which is understandable.

If I'm on a budget I might buy the cheap carb with the understanding that I'm going to have to spend time to get it right. Buying what you can afford and putting in the time is better than sitting.

Stogy and deadbeat like this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"AngleDrive" - I have to ask : Do you have in your possession or have actually had hands-on experience with one of these carburetors from this particular manufacturer?

deadbeat likes this.
  5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I believe so. No markings, aluminum base and torx screws. Not my carb. Purchased on ebay by customer.

deadbeat likes this.
  6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I didn't read all 4 pages.... but I don't get it ... plenty of used 94s out there for $20 that can be rebuilt for $25 or less. I'm talking good cores with tight shafts I pick them up all the time

deadbeat likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy who started this is in New Zealand (you should read all of a thread before piping up, it makes you look less stupid). I don't think there are too many $20 cores down there; as a matter of fact, I haven't seen one here for a long time either. Oh yeah, and where can you get quality rebuild kits for $25; I'd like a few.

And "AngleDrive" - Either you do or you don't. I really don't think these "Chinese Carbs" that I have not even heard of yet in middle America have filtered down to Florida, second hand yet.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    deadbeat likes this.
  8. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

history

X38 and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  9. deadbeat

deadbeat

I really appreciate all the input into this topic and I certainly don't want it to get into a shit slinging post.
    @AngleDrive , these carbs have Philips head screws in them and not torx, also I didn't get it of Ebay. That's not to say that this particular carb is not advertised on there. Unfortunately I don't have access to carb analyser. I just read my plugs etc. I just plonked it onto my intake, roughly set the mixture screws and it ran. I definitely can understand your frustration with rebuilding old carbs etc but I am sick and tired of old leaky carbs that I seem to get my hands on. Apreciate your comments and I don't think you are a crusty ol bastard at all.
    @HellsHotRods , good carbs are down here, but not for $20 unfortunately and a gasket kit that is crap is a lot more. Sure I could get one from you guys up there but I just saw these and with the way our dollar is against yours at that time, it was cheaper to give this a try for $250 NZD with free freight. Believe me when I say that I am not one to waste good money but I'm over getting used worn out crap down here. I once got a set of "matching " carbs that had just "come off a running car", once I rejetted them as they were all different and blew out the spiders I made them work, lol, but they still leaked as old carbs do. Whenever I see them at a swap meet I still pick them up and they used to be as cheap as that but now everyone down here thinks they are worth moon beams.
    Cheers

HellsHotRods, 5window, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  10. deadbeat

deadbeat

Sent you a message
    Cheers

11. deadbeat

deadbeat

so I went for a scoot down the motorway and all went well. Good acceleration and no stumble when I pulled up quick. No leaks atm so I'm happy as. Will keep an eye on it for now and will keep y'all posted. I did video it. Its a bit crappy but I guess you will get the drift

Stogy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  12. deadbeat

deadbeat

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks deadbeat.
    Please keep us updated as time progresses
    Could you post a link for these carbs?

deadbeat likes this.
  14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I watched that video, but Jesus Murphy man! You're on the wrong side of the road!
    Good thing there weren't any other cars out.

15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

And you tubman should do some research before you go mouthing off - just because in your area MN- they don't show up doesn't mean they aren't out there. The 94 is NOT a difficult carb to rebuild, but then again maybe that's something you havn't researched or have the skills to work on..... so maybe a China 94 is your way of feeling safe, like a lot of people: " if it's BRAND NEW it must be better" Or maybe I'm just an oddball because everything on my car is made in the USA at some point in time.

@deadbeat I understand your point - whatever works for you. You are on an island, I've lived on an island, you have to make do, with what works best sometimes.

16. deadbeat

deadbeat

I will update as I go along if any one is interested and it will be interesting to see how that alloy base goes after a few more hours on it. Thanks for all the input
    @Petejoe sent you a message
    Cheers

Petejoe and Stogy like this.
  17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Hey mate, where did you get it [Direct from China or from an importer]

I know a few manufacturers of Carbs [mainly motorcycle] in Chongqing district where most engine parts are made.
    I've been to their factories and the quality control is OK

I think USA and China both suffer from Xenophobia towards each other.

Is that vid taken near Wellington /Lower Hutt by any chance

deadbeat likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be willing to bet I've rebuilt a lot more 94's than you have. I will guarantee I've been doing it longer. $20.00 cores? Yeah, missing parts, stripped threads, broken castings. Good cores are hard to find and expensive when you do. You have to realize that we're in a global economy these days and things are NOT going to change back no matter how much you may want it to. The longer you fight it, the worse it is gonna be for you.

deadbeat and denis4x4 like this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"it will be interesting to see how that alloy base goes after a few more hours on it."

Is that aluminium or zinc alloy?
    I have found the former to suffer less from fuel system corrosion than the latter.

20. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 7.00.32 PM.png Where can I send it ?

PTSchram likes this.
  21. deadbeat

deadbeat

I shoot you a message ,,cheers

22. deadbeat

deadbeat

@Beanscoot Umm,,, how can you tell the difference?
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  23. deadbeat

deadbeat

"Is that vid taken near Wellington /Lower Hutt by any chance".

Yeah bud. The off ramp to SH 1 Lower Hutt. Well spotted
    Cheers

24. cretin

cretin

Multiple people have asked about where these came from, I'm curious myself. Why keep it a secret and send it via PM?

deadbeat likes this.
  25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

With the correct gasket between the carb and manifold ,the heat transfer would prolly be no worse than a riginal .air roaring through and all that . Holly 4bbls use a shit metal base and dont vaporate .

deadbeat likes this.
  26. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

27. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

28. 2935ford

2935ford

deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  29. Gerrys

Gerrys

deadbeat and tubman like this.
  30. firingorder1

firingorder1

They are the Harbor Freight of the world.