Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical new 94's from China

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadbeat, Feb 7, 2018.

1. We sell a Chinese brand Forklift at work as our “ entry level units “
    They are well built as they basicly did a Carbon copy of a Toyota with a Nissan engine.

BUT on our pdi inspections we find pressures off, bolts loose, brakes not bled, engine set up off ( carb , timing, fuel etc) we spend 4-6 hours on each to make them right. Once they are out there they hold up great.

We also sell Nissan’s as our high end units psi consists of starting it up checking fluids and wiping them down ( about 30-45 minutes)

But on a 5000 lbs propain unit you save $7500 bucks buying the Chinese unit over the Nissan, customer who are buying a fleet of 5,10,20 units at one time the price savings is huge , units do the same job and warranty is the same . If anything the Chinese unit is far cheaper to run as they are a more basic machine and replacement parts are much cheaper.

Japan used to make junk after WW2 look at them now. Some of the best machinist tools come from there amongst other things.

The carb I’m sure will work fine with some “ diddling “ and swap out those Philip head screws, they are made out of cheddar cheese and should have metric m6 1.25 threads.

We need to bring manufactrering jobs back to North America and stop farming this stuff out to a communist country with some of the worst human , animal and environmental track records out there !

56longroof, Clay Belt and deadbeat like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, as long as the U.S. companies tell the Chinese to make them as cheap as possible, you'll get crap. Thing is, lately a few U.S. manufacturers have been making crap. It's getting where you don't know who to trust.

1927graham likes this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Those carbs are junk.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  4. earlymopar

earlymopar

[
    Companies only provide what consumers buy, demand, expect or want, i.e. "You want cheap, we'll give you cheap !?!"

This is partially true. The other 1/2 of the equation and the main reason "Western" companies go to China is for increased profit on their sales due to reduced manufacturing costs. As well, most Chinese companies know zilch about hot rods and the rodding industry. We only see parts and products from China for the reason stated above. Lastly, if the companies that go off-shore don't know how to design or how to control product quality, it doesn't make any difference if the end product comes from China or elsewhere. Crap in is crap out. -EM

jerseyboy and nunattax like this.

5. I bycot Walmart , the dollar store etc.

I do my best to buy quality stuff as I prefer to spend the money now and have it for a long time, possibly never having to replace it, then the disposable stuff that’s out there.

Problem is even quality “ North American stuff” has parts etc made in China. And half the time it’s also hidden if in fact it’s made in China
    Clothing is a big one for that and so are food products. Made is China with European goods or shipped through another country and the “ made in China “ label is gone.

Like I said I try and buy the best I can afford which what ever I do.

Most people don’t care and look at bottom line. Some of my biggest pet peeves are cheap tools, cheap kitchen appliances, and cheap furniture
    Yeah that $50 dollar still looks good and the first time you really need to work it it fails. So what good is it?

There is good quality stuff coming out of China if you want to pay for it.
    But most of it is junk and we can only blame ourselves

And as much as we try it’s getting harder and harder to buy North American goods

TTR likes this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^
    Yes, where?

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

well spotted

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're asking me, search for threads on the "Ford Barn" started by a guy named "Tod" (who, by the way, is the real deal). If you are asking about the aluminum blocks, don't even bother unless your discretionary bank balance runs to 6 figures. I'm sure if you express enough interest, they will find you.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, that's the same thing. Consumers want cheap and that's what the companies have made.

Spooner Clinton, zzford and carbking like this.
  11. fortynut

fortynut

BUY AMERICAN --- the old stuff that was built to last. That's traditional in the true meaning of the word. I know some things that once were made here are 'imported' , and there are no other choices, but get a grip on it. We are few, but when we talk 'traditional', it should show a little integrity in the longer scheme of things. Those who make reproduction parts should look at some of the things rododers use and add some to your inventory. I know capital investment in the pre-production work makes the final item pricey but if we stick together in this, the change in our griping about crap from elsewhere will not be so loud. Buy American Made Repro Parts. So ends my sermon.

carbking likes this.
  12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I get the SEMA magazine every month and there are at least four pages listing new members. The number of new companies from China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan and Taiwan that are listed every month is mind boggling. Before overseas companies started looking at member categories, I was getting pitches for prototyping two or three times a week.

They do indeed know about hot rodding overseas.

13. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This is the truth!!
    The Chinese don't know how to sell a Carb in the USA, they make them for USA Importers. When a production run is done, there can be a percentage of rejects.
    Half the time those rejects are imported anyway because it is cheaper to take the lot.

You are actually at the mercy of the importer's greed [and your own as well]

A good example of Chinese quality is all the GX Honda Clones , the replacement parts direct fit a Honda GX engine and perform just as good.
    If anybody thinks they can bolt a copy 94 onto their engine without making any adjustments then they're dellusional

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    carbking likes this.
  14. Did it come with mixture screws?? and are you trying it out this weekend if it did ??

15. ironrodder

ironrodder

My feelings exactly!

16. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Hope it came with vasaline or tube of anal eaze lubricant

WTF really likes this.
  17. My TV's, and cell phone seem to be working- What's the issue?o_O

XXL__, deadbeat, tubman and 2 others like this.
  18. If it boils down to economy; wouldn't it be better to buy new chinese products, sold by an american company (salaries, taxes etc.), than buying 32nd hand products from a random individual? Qualitywise you're likely better off with the original parts.

Besides... OP is from NZ, so american economy might not be his top priority ;). Good 94 cores are probably harder to find there too.

5window, deadbeat and Beanscoot like this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember the OP asked if anyone had used them . I think he wants a heads up on real time use or issues. Not what everyone thought about the possibility of Chinese junk. Just because it china its not a given its junk, just a higher possibility. Though Mexico at present seems to have surpassed China in the junk product stakes.
    The mixture screws must be extra. Though they are easy to find.

seabeecmc, deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  20. BJR

BJR

I would bet a lot of the posters trashing Chineese stuff here, have some Chineese tools in their tool box, shop at Walmart, Harbor Freight or Sams Club or buy the stuff on Ebay. Just saying......

tfeverfred likes this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Because they buy a broom from Wal-Mart from China means you have no standing to point out that the screws don't even fit right?

I never bought that carb but I did buy one for a different application. Does that mean this one will be the same? Nope but I'll still point out that it was so junky that I ended up just throwing it away.

Because I'll buy a Chinese made broom means I have no place in questioning this carb?

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Most Americans don't consider the American economy a top priority either, only their own individual wellbeing. [this applies to just about every nationality in the world]
    When a businessman makes a decision to import, patriotism isn't motivating the decision.

The same with buying cheap products as a consumer. Nowadays in our throwaway society, cheaper equates to better.
    Old car enthusiasts [and racers] are probably the last bastion of wanting old fashion quality for either reliability or authenticity sake.
    But we will still buy cheap throwaways in other avenues of our lives.

The comment about NZ is ironic, the NZ economy makes more $$$ from China than what we spend there. [10% of NZ's population is of Chinese/Asian ethnicity]

XXL__ and deadbeat like this.
  23. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

bamboo does not machine very well nor is it heat resistant!

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

China is also remaking the Henway.

Beanscoot likes this.
  25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The Chinese are very capable of producing a quality product.The people who contract them to manufacture THEIR product have a price they are targeting.Then the offshore manufacturer adjusts the quality and materials to match the customer demands.

If you want high quality,they can and will deliver....whether it be materials, process, or labor.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well @deadbeat looks like your Hotrod is the Guinea Pig for testing...Let us know how it goes.

deadbeat likes this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deadbeat called by here on the roadsters maiden decent road trip a few weeks ago , running like crap fuel leaking from the centre progressive 94 flooding the mill into the oil ,not pretty. We examined it checked float levels ,yup thats sweet , nope it was no better, not too sure what was up but we were running out of time as drinking time was approaching and the run was in the morning. On the way to show a bit further up the road from us decided this is no good. I just grabbed an old 94 from off the shelf at home we slapped it on ,awesome it runs great.
    They just called by today after an 8hr round trip to another show and its the best the roadster has ever run ,with an old worn out 94, great to see the smiles on their faces in the rain no side curtains .
    But I can understand where he is coming from and wants his own carb as the primary on the triples. I didn't care as they were just enjoying the heck out of the roadster.
    The new one does come with idle screws ,ya just have to fit them. Bring it on guinea pig. I am sure it will be fine.
    Just don't ya love all the China bashers when they have no first hand knowledge of the carb if its good or bad. Just China "oh it must be crap" We hope good of course.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well let us know about the experience when it happens. Hey what are friends for...:p...good on you for helping out.

deadbeat likes this.
  29. deadbeat

deadbeat

Well that escalated quickly. Just a heads up as Kiwi 4d mentioned I need a new centre carb. Yes I do realise the screws are on the piss but the over all fit and finish seems ok. Yes I do have a barrel full of original 94 parts, but as mentioned they are old and worn out. You guys up there have to understand that good core carbs down here are hard to get. Some guys have them but hang onto them for these reasons and they don't come up for sale that often. Yes I can buy from the U.S, but with the way the $ is I am happy to give this a shot . I'm very lucky to have a good mate that will get me out of a bind when on a road trip, cheers Kiwi 4d.
    So anyways I have just got back from a road trip in my roadster and my main priority is to give the loaner carb back. Yes it may be crap, but I'm not to concerned about anyone's economy for that matter, I just want to drive my hot rod. So stand by as I will start putting it together this week for next weekends adventure.
    Cheers

BTW the mixture screws are with the carb and they have a real nice tip. Better than any of the ones that I have in my spare parts pile

Stogy and 1927graham like this.
  30. deadbeat

deadbeat

I sent you a message
    Cheers