Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 41 willys coupe roof and quarters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thehardway, Nov 8, 2010.

1. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

Ok guys, I am posting this thread to see what kind of interest there would be in a All new steel 37-41 willys complete roof and upper quarters, That would allow the average bodyman to be able to turn a 37-39 4 door sedan into a coupe....I have been searching for a original willys coupe body for a long time, And what I have found is junk is bringing stupid money.....And I know it is because of how rare they are....So I bought a 38 4 door sedan to make my coupe out of.....I know there are a few guys hand making most of the parts to turn a sedan into a coupe, But those parts are pricey as well because of the man hours that go into them....And I have not found anyone who offers the complete roof and quarters. I am looking for others who are interested in turning their sedans into coupes.....with enough interest, and input, I/WE can have the dies and stampings made....Let me know what you think...

2. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

I'd be In for sure.

3. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

I'm in.....exactly what I need to move ahead on my coupe. It's not a sedan redo, a real coupe needing a roof and quarters.
    The other issue is the rear window (s) issue. The two teardrop windows are part of the "look" of a Willys coupe.

Good luck.....stamping dies are pricey.....and I can't believe there is a cheap way to do it.....or there would be enough demand to warrant the cost.

4. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

not sure about prices guys I been getting alot of different prices from the 3 well known willys parts makers.I was quoted a decent price for new doors,roof,quarters and deck lid and all to make a coupe from a sedan If I want to?

5. I applaud your enthusiasm, but if you think that having panels made by hand is expensive, you don't even want to think about the cost of having dies made to stamp parts. The cost of the dies and associated design work would be more than the cost of simply buying a coupe outright.

Have Randy Ferguson or one of the other metalshapers that does Willys stuff (or has access to one for templates) make the panels for you. Won't be "cheap", but if you want cheap, then you shouldn't be trying to build a Willys.

6. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

although many would say they are expendable, as a sedan owner, i'd like to see them all preserved as is if not too rough.

7. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

your right It would be cheaper to buy a coupe then to have dies made to stamp panels.but I don't think thats what he was trying to say.what hes trying to say Is If the demand Is high enough then he would have the parts stamped for mass production Is how I took It.

8. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

I have already spoken to Experi-Metal (which is the place who made the dies for brookville, SAR, and the new 32 five window coming out this year) I got some rough numbers, And it can be done with enough interest....there are a kzillion fiberglass willys coupes out there, And I could build one of them If I wanted too, But I just don't think I could sleep good at night knowing my hot rod was plastic....plus I can't weld the shit....LOL...Not to mention what it smells like on the inside on a hot summer day......As far as buying a steel one, I could do that as well, but that still doesn't fill the void......willys only made a few thousand coupes from 37-41, far less than the 4 door sedans. I am talking about having the key piece made So that every guy who wants too Can turn his 4 door sedan into a steel willys coupe body. I have also priced the handmade metal guys parts....Fair, but each piece is made to order, and A buddy of mine has been on a waiting list for almost 2 years now for some of that hand made stuff... Anyhow this is just an idea until I see what kind of interest others have.

9. OREGONBILLY

OREGONBILLY

Troy Thompson of Rolands Rods has built a complete STEEL body and has all replacement parts for the coupe including rear window openings, roofs sidees dash center sections, you name it he can make it, And when you price out the cost of fixing junk its very reasonable, Bill Darland 503 481 3083

10. Remember, though, you aren't limited to the 2 or so guys who specialize in the handmade Willys parts. There are hundreds of competent sheetmetal guys that can handle forming the panels. All they need is access to patterns, if they don't have them already. Our very own Chris Davenport (Salt Flats Speed Shop) is such a guy who's already built a body from scratch, but I'm sure you already knew that. I'm sure his waiting list wouldn't be 2 years, either.

11. I think you'd have to list a price before asking that question.

12. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

Has any progress been made in getting them made??

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Look up metal shaping with Lazze on youtube he has a video on building the whole car from aluminum.

14. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Troy Thompson of Rolands Rods is hands down the best when it comes to steel Willys repair or replacement. I have had dealings with all three and I know first hand. I am not saying the others are not good, just saying who is the best!

15. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

I agree with you Dave , have bought panels from many different sources over the years . Just got a set of lower door halves and the grill replacement panel from Troy and they are spot on perfect . Oh ya , it only took two weeks from the time I called untill they were at my door :)

16. camshaw

camshaw

any news on this endeavor?