Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 32 Ford 5 window steel bodys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceroger, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

He wouldn’t have them or anybody do a thing…..he was a total control freak and an asshole.

2. MODELA30

MODELA30

Always buy American when you can that is the only way to keep your money and work in this country!!!! Knuck From Indiana.

3. willys1330

willys1330

Like a old gentleman who is retired from Bethlahem Steel told me ...They are buying up all are scrap steel which is the Best in the world and keeping it for themselves and sending back there GARBAGE!!

4. MODELA30

MODELA30

I as a RED BLOODED AMERICAN thank you for spending that extra dollar I do that all the time even my wife thinks Iam nuts but I will go as far as opening a package to see the made in U.S.A sticker. If it is a couple of dollars more thats were I lay my money down other than that let them keep there foriegn junk. Knuck From Indiana.

5. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

10K to chop a 32 5W:eek:, I'm in the wrong job. At least you can chop it all you want and not have to settle for a car that looks the same as everyone else in the parking lot.
    Anyone thats going to build a top car is going to have to pay somewhere along the line (beating on an old body, buying a nice old one or brand new it costs $$$).
    As for the China made issue if the quality turns out to be good then people will buy the product, if it's crap they won't and the company won't be around long.
    I have a mate who brings in body kits from China, lands them here for $120 USD for a full kit, You wouldn't pick them up for fear of breaking them, but he still sells them by the container load.

Scotty.

6. Well, If it's typical of what I have seen for quality from that company, I won't be buying one.

Hey JIM A, you were at SEMA and didn't come by the booth? Shame, Shame

7. Black Primer

Black Primer

I suppose they will be available at wal-mart. This just goes against my whole concept of hot rodding.

8. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

hey look theyre in the harbor frieght catalog!!! haha.

9. CruZer

CruZer

It's NOT thanks to our government.It's thanks to our greedy US companies and stockholders.

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ha! Ha! Ha! That's funny.

11. MODELA30

MODELA30

I still think our Goverment has a lot to do with it!!! If all import stuff in this country would be taxed for the same amount that a American company would build it for that would make a flat rate for all so the greedy American company that uses slave labor sort a speek in another country so be China, Japan, Mexico ,or any other for that mater would just stay here. Now the Government is the only one that can do that and force it!!!! Knuck From Indiana.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i have always wondered about chinese import stuff .... so after you find a manufacter get... it made... then ship back to the U.S. , pay the import tax, the shipping ect, ect , how much are they really saving ? brookville can make a whole 3 window here for the same price , they must be making some money or they wouldn't be in bussiness,

i worked for a shop that was trying to get a 32 firewall made in china every month some factory reps would bring 8 firewalls over and a handful of us in the shop had to find the mistakes it was a game that went on the whole time i worked there it was like they were trying to see what would slide through insted of just making something right,... i would rather piece together a garbage orig....hey 22k will still buy you a decent ford body, won't it?

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

There is PLENTY of crap made in America I don't want to buy- does everyone need to feel better by saying they wouldn't buy any of it? So you don't want one of these bodies- AWESOME! I don't like liver or pork chops. Phew- that does feel AMAZING!!!

14. Did anybody see the Bob Drake 40 steel coupe at Sema?

15. McFly

McFly

What company is having these made?

16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So enough of the political stuff and the China bashing huh guys? Think you managed to cover it all!

Personally Im stoked someone has but their $ up to try and fill a gap in the hobby. That takes balls, especially these days and the guys behind it should be congratulated.

17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I stopped by this booth and had a rather long and interesating talk with the owner/developer of this product. Although he did not tell me specifically what his background was, he did tell me that he had been in the Ford reproduction business for over, I believe, 18 years. He has been working on the repro 5-wdw. for over three years to get to point where it is now. He was hoping to have the first complete body at the trade show in Indy this coming March and if they could not make that date he was looking at a June showing.

He did tell me that the dies are made in the US and that the stamping would be done in Taiwan, which I guess is technically China, but not mainland China. The Taiwanese have factories that are emminently capable of produing a very high quality product while at the same time paying workers a very liveable wage, approximately two-thirds of US labor. So in this vein they are not slave drivers. I'm not trying to defend the use of Taiwanese labor as right or wrong, but it certainly is a consideration for a new company trying to offer a quality product while at the same time trying to get off the ground.

While talking to him, he also told me that they continue to look for a US partner and if the 5-wdw. does sell well that there is a distinct possibilty that dies may be brought back to the States and the stamping would be done here.

I also talked to him about his choosing to build a stock height body rather than a chopped version which would, of course, be more desirable to us here on the H.A.M.B.. He told me that this was the decision that troubled them the most and after quite a bit of back-and-forthing, it was decided that the stock body was the way to go. In this manner they could capture the restoration crowd as well as the hot rod crowd. He is looking to sell restoration parts and if he only made the chopped version available he would have cut off any sales of, for example, doors to those guys.

All in all, I was impressed with the product I saw and with the sincerity of the young man. I really hope that he makes a ton of these things.

18. HotRodRob1932

HotRodRob1932

Boy! This really makes me glad I already own a REAL 5 window:D

19. It was in the United Pacific booth (I think that's the name) which imports LED lighting. Maybe they aren't the actual manufacturing company?

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks oldandkrusty. Nice post.

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

While I am not in the market for a repro 32 5W :)
    I think it is GREAT ... that someone has stepped up and started making one. Just like when Brookville came out with their 32 roadster and then their 32 3W ... their parts helped save some old Henry Ford Deuces ... :D

I happen to own a Henry Roadster and a Henry 3W ... but I think it's GREAT that Brookville makes them ... which makes more of Henry's original DEUCE bodies available for me :rolleyes:

22. doctorZ

doctorZ

we sold them the bodies they used to make the mold and have been getting in the new pieces as they are being made to check fit and finish. everything we have gotten so far has been perfect.

23. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I highly doubt the dies were made in usa...that's why so much is made in Taiwan cause they can make dies cheaply there...support your own ,buy American built and grown...your economy depends on it.
    It ain't a 32 ford unless it was built by henry's finest in '32! Invest your money into a real one.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

The display body doesn't have the rear quarters of the roof, could you make a Sport Coupe out of this repro as well as a standard 5Window?

25. Thanks to YOU AND ME. We're the ones who want stuff to be cheap. $22K? If it was made in the USA, it may cost, say $35K. Would it be any better? I doubt it. Those bodies will be made to exacting specifications. Which would you pay, 22 or 35?
    The chinese are capable of producing goods of top quality, the reason a pair of Nikes from china are crap is because the Nike company demands that china make them to a specified price. Nothing to do with the gubmint.

26. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I just have to kind of laugh at everybody jumping up and down over this new body, especially since it's going to be produced in Taiwan. A lot of our hot rod parts and pieces come from overseas, that doesn't stop us from buying them does it?? I think most of Moon products come from overseas and they seem to be doing just fine! Can you really tell me that a guy who needs quarter panels for his gennie 5 window will say whoa, I'm not gonna buy the replacement panels that are BRAND new and need no bodywork cause they're made in Taiwan. I am going to spend double or maybe even triple to have a custom set made by an American metal craftsman so that I can go around and proudly say it was all American sheetmetal. Please, spare me. When it comes right down to it, 99.9% of people will not care at all where it was built as long as the quality is good, and even then they wont care as much about quality as they do about price. On the subject of the price of $20000+, ya that is a lot of money, but have you seen what a decent 5 window body is going for these days, its rediculous, even worse is what a rusted out shell of a body missing all its pieces is going for!!! I remember when Brookville came out with their roadster and everyone thought the price was high, but Brookville had a waiting list a mile long, something like a year to get one. Then Brookville came out with their 3 Window body and everybody screamed at the price saying it was out of this world. Well what do you know, they had a huge waiting list for that body too!! The same will hold true for this 5 window body. I would bet money that there will be a long waiting list for it as well. Im all for keeping jobs and money on North American soil, but sometimes its just not practical if we want to have some of the things we have. Personally, I wouldnt buy one of these new 5 window bodies, but then I wouldnt buy either of the Brookville bodies either. Its not because of quality but rather because I want a real genuine Henry Ford body. If I wanted a replica, Id save a ton of money and buy a fiberglass body. There really is no difference between a repop steel body and a fiberglass one. I have nothing against patch panels because lets be serious, these are 78 year old bodies and they are gonna need some work. However, having said all that, Im glad they are reproducing the 5 windows, maybe now that will bring the price of a Real Steel Henry Ford body down....:D

27. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

x2!!!!!!!

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

I doubt it...

I'm pretty sure he had a plant in Japan, making Model A's.

( just for the sake of argument...
    I know there are huge cultural differences between China and Japan )

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If and when these bodies hit the market, everyone and I mean everyone should boycott them.

If they were to not sell a single unit at the huge price they will want then maybe the greedy bastards would have to bring the price down to where a made in China product should be.

Sure they wouldn't make as much profit, but a reasonable profit should be enough for them.

Sounds good in theory, but probably won't work as there are always those out there with the dollars and just don't care.

More money than brains is the description.

30. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

In this new economy, I'll be very surprised if they sell very many, not when complete cars can be had for reasonable prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.