Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Never thought I'd get a true barn find, My new 88yr old Friend.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wurger, Feb 8, 2017.

1. scotts52

scotts52

The hoods gotta be backwards. Seems like it'd catch too much air and try to lift off. It also looks like their is a rake to the louvers which runs contrary to the lines of the car. May just be the angle of the picture though.

Wurger likes this.
  2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

1929 Hudson Model R 001.JPG
    Louvers face backwards.

3. u got the fever , now get to work. Found this pic on line for ya !
    upload_2017-2-8_18-57-6.png

Wurger and kiwijeff like this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

Those are nice driving cars in stock form. As fast or faster that a 32 Ford. I had a friend that had one. 20 years ago a restored one was worth way more than a 32 Ford. I haven't followed them over the years, so current pricing may be different. I would think a rodded one would not be where the money is.

Surfcityrocker and Wurger like this.
  5. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Id like to see it go done the road stock. As found as possible.

6. luckylady28

luckylady28
    from Kansas

not to be rude,thats a nice car,we have a 31 coupe that's been hot rodded in the past that we need a left door for,can someone give some info as to where we mite find one??????? go and check our web-site in red at the bottom of this page to see what we have. thanks ken

7. ^^^ use the link to the Hudson forum, on page one, I posted.
    The guys over there may be able to help.

Wurger likes this.
  8. samurai mike

samurai mike

get it running, clean it with clr and drive it for the summer. then decide what to do with it. just my two cents.

Wurger likes this.
  9. Wurger

Wurger

You are definitely right! Funny that I saw a photo of a sedan that had them on wrong as well LOL, i'm glad that I have all of you guys for car counseling Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great find, nice to know you think it should get a proper restoration. Glad to see so many HAMB members agree. Hudson ran in the INDY 500 and did very well with stock engines. Bob

Wurger likes this.
  11. impressive car, dude, congrats! would be nice to read some more about the reconditioning of this beauty and what the pre-owner will say.
    and if you decice at least to inject some hotrod blood, H.A.M.B.spirit (or call it what ya want) to this project, you could add a trailer hitch and haul a vintage race car with it...

Wurger likes this.
  12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have to agree with the restoration idea. The car looks very complete and solid. I am biased as I grew up in the AACA. Lol. Their forum is a good resource too.

Wurger likes this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

I think that I would pull up a chair and just stare at it awhile (maybe even squint a little). Change positions and repeat. This car is a sight to behold, get it up and running. Enjoy.

MyCrustyVW and Wurger like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

Oh, love the dash panel! How many louvers are in those side panels? The little steps for the rumble seat, the list goes on! Love this thing!

Wurger and C. John Stutzer like this.
  15. There isn't a "stocker" section on the HAMB, it's all about Hot Rods and Kustoms. But as you can see from the responses to your post, many of us here appreciate restored cars as well. I applaud your choice to restore this car and congratulate you for recognizing its value (monetarily and otherwise) in its original state. This isn't a restoration site and I don't know how the moderators would view a restoration build thread, but if they'll let you post it here, obviously there would be a lot of interest in it. If you decide to post a build thread on some other forum (Hudson site or whatever), lease post a link to it here so we can follow along in your journey. It's a fabulous car and will only get better under your stewardship.

16. Wurger

Wurger

Haha GREAT idea, I love it!

catdad49 likes this.
  17. exterminator

exterminator

If you get tired of it,drop it off at my house-ok?:)

kiwijeff and Wurger like this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the ot 66 or 7 plymouth I spy in the background too...

Wurger likes this.
  19. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

You're a lucky Guy to score such a Cool Car.
    Good luck with the project.
    VR&C.

Wurger likes this.
  20. The first thing I thought when I saw the photos of your 29 was "What would I do if it was mine?" Easy, I'd repaint it black, rechrome all the plating, drop it down a little and intall a 308, twin H motor from 1954. The car has great lines.

kiwijeff and 6-bangertim like this.
  21. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

great car them 29 hudsons my mate has five of them all runners three are road registered , them early engines are great however they need a lot of tlc oiling the rockers etc by the way they are roller ones the starter can be tricky as well make sure its shimmed properly or probs will appear . do yourself a favour get a Hudson 308 for it as others have said will it go nice then its a class car treat it as such I hope

kiwijeff, 6-bangertim and Wurger like this.
  22. If you're not sure how to have fun with an old Hudson, you need to check into the Feral Sports Car Club. A similar vintage Hudson tourer appears regularly in the stories of their travels.

But if you wanted to join them you'd have to move to Oz and convert over to right-hand drive. :rolleyes:

http://feralsportscarclub.net/FeralTrainChase.html

23. Wurger

Wurger

Good eye!

24. Wurger

Wurger

Lol dibs are dibs, you called it first!

exterminator likes this.
  25. Did you get my PM?
    Maybe your already on eBay bidding.

Wurger likes this.
  26. Wurger

Wurger

Sorry I'm a little late, thanks again!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. ChevyDeputy54

ChevyDeputy54

What an awesome find!

Wurger likes this.
  28. Wurger

Wurger

Well I’m all moved and at this house I have a garage, though I still wish it were bigger it’s a two car (wide) and over deep it’s been challenging to set it up on paper, the other issue is the 10’ ceiling and manufactured “W” trusses which won’t allow me a standard lift unless placed awkwardly in the mid of the garage. I started taking the Hudson apart everything looks great but no luck turning it over (yes it’s in neutral) I was told the timing chain can get stiff or rust making it impossible to turn but when I peaked behind the cover it looks brand spanking new! Behind both inspection plates and the valve cover makes her look like a runner! The water pump shaft is pitted but it’s disconnected so I know that can’t be the issue, otherwise I’d have some play.... I think I need to get the front crank/fan belt wheel off, it looks like that’s a job for one hell of a spanner wrench a size of which I can’t find... Any tips for removal or other ideas??? I’m waiting on a lift before dropping the pan as it’s only about 6-8 inches off the ground.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Great to see you've
    started digging in to it.

Wurger likes this.
  30. You should take out the plugs and get some penetrating oil in the cylinders and let er sit several days then try rocking er back and forth. Put it in reverse and rock the whole car a little. Google a sesrch for staring old or stuck enginrs. Valves could be stuck too. And lifters. Looks like fun

biggeorge and Wurger like this.