Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Never thought I'd get a true barn find, My new 88yr old Friend.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wurger, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wurger

Wurger

I'm always coming across cars and pick-ups alike that are cool as hell, yet some how none of them have really called to me, or if they had they were just to far gone..... Then along came yesterday afternoon, and the rest was history....

I received a call from my friend in regards to an old car that had been kept in a barn and that he had heard was a old Cadillac. I leisurely played some phone tag and eventually made enough calls to get to the owner, assuming it was a Cadillac I made the mistake of not confirming what I had been told and made the appointment to see the car.
    When I showed up I fell in Love, however not with a Cadillac but with an extremely straight 1929 Hudson Super 6, and from what I can research she is a model R ( the plate only noted the build number, leaving the model block blank.)

The owner really wanted the car to go to someone near by where he could remain part of the build, in hopes of seeing it completed one day in person so we struck a deal.... at $4000 since I was a local boy lol. Now hopefully I didn't over spend, but I felt like I had done enough screen shopping and slobbering on the classifieds here on the H.A.M.B to know that a lot of people have paid much more for much less. ( not to be rude)

**Not all of the parts are pictured**, there were a mess of parts in the traveling steamer trunk of the car and on some shelving to include many if not all of the "beauty" pieces not shown. The only things I noticed off hand that were missing were an impeller and a carburetor, I'm sure I will come across more missing things here and there, but Hell I'm 31yrs old and have ( hopefully) the time to look and wait.... The interior has enough there for patterns, but the field mice, moths and 88yrs worth of time and the countless asses that sat in the car took their toll... But the suicide doors made/make it all a wash ;)

There was no crank or way at the time to test for a free engine but the X-mission was as smooth a butter, I could hardly believe it! Furthermore all the tires but the spares still held air and for a few days now with no leaks yet lol. The body had one rock dent on the R/H rear fender and there is no cancer to speak of... I think there is just too much here for anything but a "Stocker" hopefully that's not a bad thing on the H.A.M.B :) . I appreciate any input, I will be moving soon but once that is done I will begin what will be my first actual ground up project thread here on the H.A.M.B....

IMG_2996.PNG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2962.PNG IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2983.JPG IMG_2984.JPG IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2986.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Congratulations. That's a fantastic car! That instrument panel alone is crazy.

3. I almost skipped past this thread, and once I started reading, I had to use all my self control, not to skip down to the pics.

Go take a look at my albums.
    My avatar is a 29 Hudson.
    I also have a 28 stocker project, that I'll never finish, due to to much missing, but ever since I discovered Hudson's, in 2012, when I brought my 29, I've fallen for these things.

1929 was Hudson's best year I think, I've done tons of research, forgotten tons, but also have some great books, and Hudson stuff from the twenties.

I'll be watching this one for sure.
    I'd recommend you go jump on the Hudson forum, and introduce yourself.

http://forum.hetclub.org

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There wouldn't be too many of them around and something you wouldn't see every day when done. In the auto world, the embossed style seemed to blow out with the 1929 Hudson and Essex panels. Again, the vines, flowers, and even pinecone patterns lent themselves well to edging and swirling around the gauges. Here's the 1929 Hudson, 29 "Greater" Hudson, and 1929 Essex gash clusters...
    http://deadlycurves.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/the-1920s-embossed-gauge-panels.html

Here are some serial numbers
    upload_2017-2-8_20-14-27.png

belair, stanlow69, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  5. Great save of another 3W coupe.

Wurger likes this.
  6. Hudson certainly stepped it up a notch, from 28.
    My 28 dash is nicely embossed, but almost boring, compared to the 29.
    Unfortunately, my 29 came with cheap crappy gauges, being as it was modified, when the guy I got it off, did the first build.

IMG_20170209_091823.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  7. Here's mine, before the guy I got it from got hold of it.
    He built his version of a rr, and I changed it into my version of a Hot Rod.
    I'm still getting rid of the ugly, one piece at a time. 446369-1360380657-993015a8f915024e10a089ac14ff06ef.jpg

8. Now that is a car to drool over :eek: . Oh, thats what your doing in the first pic :D . What a beauty. Your playing it the correct way with your stocker concept. Don,t get excited and start forcing those window winders or door handles. That old forged metal breaks easy.

panicmike, Wurger and turboroadster like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Great find ,my uncle drove Hudson's back as far as I can remember until he got promoted at Pontiac and they gave him 2 new cars every year. He still kept his 54 Hudson for years.

Wurger likes this.
  10. elba

elba

Beautiful instrument cluster ! You scored !

MrPhat40 and Wurger like this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Railtons only started in 1933, so if this Hudson were mine I'd have built a sort of phantom prequel. No way I'd lose that gauge cluster, though!

Wurger and 32Stoker like this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Cool, congrats

Wurger likes this.
  13. That's a great score you got yourself there! Didn't they have those thermatic shutters on the grille bars?

14. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That was a great find. Congrats. Did the owner have any idea when was the last time it was driven?

Wurger and Mowogler like this.
  15. I am calling the Police....you stole that for $4000.
    Carburetor? it uses a Marvel VB-10-725

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Clay Belt and Wurger like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Never seen a car that old, never restored, with the front fenders that straight!

Doctorterry and Wurger like this.
  17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Great find.. Heavy chop, keep the fenders and on such a long wheelbase could be really cool.. OH!! It's not my car is it?? Whatever you do, have fun with it....

chevy54man and Wurger like this.
  18. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That is totally awesome!!!....love the look of that car big-time, and so much potential, ....not to mention a unique style & design. Incredible dash & gauges is pure eye-candy.........I'm in the jealous mode full-on now!!!

Wurger likes this.
  19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice find!

Wurger likes this.
  20. ...wow, nice find, look at them headlites!...good luck.

Wurger likes this.
  21. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

There is a guy in Shipshewana, In. that knows Hudsons front and back. www.hostetlershudsons.com
    He could probably answer any questions you have on these cars. Great find. Good luck on your build.

Wurger likes this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm seriously liking the wire wheel set. Nice find & hopefully restored. This one deserves it. I've got a long-term '29 Essex business coupe. Marcus...

kiwijeff and Wurger like this.
  23. Elegance, congrats man !

Wurger likes this.
  24. scotts52

scotts52

Nice find. That is a very beautiful car. Looking forward to the build thread.

Wurger likes this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Definitely a perfect restoration project. To hot rod something like this would be a shame.

I started with a frame on my 1938 Plymouth Truck. I have been buying parts one at a time. In the process, I have enough parts left over to cobble together a 1936 Dodge. This 1936 Dodge is being created from 2 crashed parts trucks, so that will become the hot rod.

I wish that I would have found a project as pristine as yours.....

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt, tractorguy, Wurger and 2 others like this.
  26. Incredible find, congratulations! That will be a fun build.

Wurger likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This is colossal. Man, what an example of the fine Hudson machinery.
    Not all are familiar with Hudsons, a former boss had a '28 Essex Terraplane he restored, mucho grinding, polishing hard parts...and the 'fender massaging'. I would have given most anything for that Essex frame when I first saw the car.
    But Bill went through it like crap thru a goose! My hands looked like rusty old gloves after some of the cleaning.
    A year later, I was introduced to a Glass Bead machine! Wish Bill had that... LOL

Wurger and Surfcityrocker like this.
  28. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Congratulations. You must be living life right.

hotrodA and Wurger like this.