Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Neutral Saftey Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Reluctant and embarrassed to tell my story, but if someone else can benefit from my mistake............
    When I first got my '57 done and was in the first few thousand miles, I started having hot start problems which I later found out was two separate issues. I had put a new rebuilt starter/solenoid in it before I installed the engine, but regardless of that, I figured I had a starter-mounted solenoid issue, so I pulled it and had a local shop check it out (knuck1947 here on the Hamb). They found a faulty solenoid as suspected, and replaced it along with cleaning and checking the starter. My starter is difficult to reach if the car isn't on a lift, so while I was spending the few hours putting it back in the car, I thought to myself, if this doesn't fix the problem, the next thing I'll check is the neutral safety switch, but everything worked great for 3 or 4 days, no hot start issues at all.
    I brought it to a local hand wash car wash place in town. Normally they wash the cars then they move them up front of the building for hand drying, but they asked me to move it up as they weren't sure if they could operate the old thing, lol. It was maybe 30 feet from the front overhead door. I got in the car to move it up, and no start. sheeeet! If I was home, I would have made a neat little jumper wire for the fuse panel to bypass the neutral safety switch, but I wasn't home, I was at a car wash trying to McGyver rig it. We found a piece of electrical wire, so I kneeled on the floor of the car wash with my head up under the dash and held the wire on the two terminals while I asked the guy who worked there to reach in from the passenger side and try to start it. It started right away, but I quickly found out the safety switch was doing exactly what it was suppose to do...........not let the car start if it's in gear.
    My FI engine goes right to 2k rpm when it starts, I jumped in the car trying to stop it before it headed out to the street with 4 lanes of heavy rush hour traffic. I just got in the car when my door hit the door jamb on the building and actually pushed my foot inside the car the last few inches. I was lucky. I was 70 at the time, didn't think this old man could still move that fast. I got the car stopped, but not before it creased and pancaked the side of my car from headlight to tailight. and did damage to the building. No one was hurt, but I had nightmares about being in my car with my foot jammed in the door heading into traffic.
    Turned out the problem was the outer casing for the shifter cable was slipping out of the retainer, so even though the shifter was hitting the detents, and looking like it was in in park or wherever, it wasn't.
    This car is my pride and joy, cleaned and taken care of, babied like I never do my daily drivers. It seems like I can find more unique ways to f#!@k it up that I've never done to my DDs, how is that?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Your telling of your story might save a life someday.

Cooon and Stogy like this.
  3. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY

How do you rig a neutral safety switch on a '39 top loader....

Phil

Stogy likes this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You put an interlock switch on the clutch pedal.

Stogy likes this.
  5. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Sorry I was not more clear

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

HRP thanks for this thread. I don't have a nss switch on my car so now when I crank it to set timing or etc. I have the rear tires off the floor with my jack stands. Off to the parts house...…...

7. Zuffen

Zuffen
    from Sydney
    1. COE's (Cab Over Engine)

I'll fess up to doing something stupid.
    I have a non-HAMB friendly Pick Up with the engine in the rear AKA Little Red Wagon.
    I wanted to start it and I was at he rear of the car so I pulled the start relay and jumped the terminals.
    The car started and settled into it's warm up routine but was in gear and the relay was after the NSW. It started to move quite quickly in reverse and pinned me between a Range Rover and the rear corner of my car.
    Fortunately I could squeeze out but it hurt quite a bit. I went to front and turned it off.
    It was about then the adrenalin gave up and I found I couldn't stand on my right leg.
    I had a passer by call my wife to come and get me (left my phone at home) so she arrives and I'm slid into the rear seat of my SUV with the first stop home so I can organise the recovery of my truck (gotta get your priorities right) then off to Emergency.
    The long and the short I had 3 fractures in my Pelvis and a broken tailbone. And not a drop of blood was spilt.
    I was stunned the next morning when the Doc told my I'm supposed to be dead.
    So think about the Neutral Start Switch as yes, it could save your life.
    I got to spend 3 months in bed then have to repair my car.

nochop, Dick Stevens, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  8. seems strange clicking the "like" button on these stories. just sayin'

nochop likes this.
  9. ^^^^^ I find it strange that people have to slow down to see a traffic accident. Human fascination, trying to figure it out only causes...

10. Yeah ,,,
    But it’s someone sharing something (a story) they aren’t proud of to save someone else an ass load of grief. That’s commendable And worth a like.
    However I doubt most who are under the impression they don’t need a NSS because they are for other people won’t be swayed into installing one or even bothered to get the one that’s already in the car functional

X-cpe likes this.
  11. 283john

283john

My OT V8 S-10 won't start without the clutch pedal down...even though it's a TH350 now. One day about 5 years after I built it I was going down the road and my wife asked why I never shifted it..she thought it was a stick the whole time.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Too old to leave home without one

'51 Norm likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Need a “ oh sh*t” button

'51 Norm, Texas57 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in that case the neutral safety switch is installed in your brain.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

am I the only one who only starts a car when I am sitting in it?
    started my car in drive one time with no neutral safety switch. car moved a foot up and hit my blasting cabinet before I stopped it. no damage.. neutral safety switch was on my list of projects at the time

16. Probably not,
    But I bet everyone has at least one story of a NSS and wishing it was functioning- either their own or someone else’s.
    Then again if it isn’t installed and adjusted with all the care in the world it still won’t work.