Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neutral safety really required?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Markvs, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Markvs

Markvs

Is a neutral safety switch required? what would happen if I just wired my two wires/ contacts that lead to the switch (on my `1954 chevy) together?

I dont plan on anyone driving but me, and I wont be trying to start the car while in drive. I cnat find a replacement because of all the changes required for converting to v-8 and keep the column shift.

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You can eliminate it as you described.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

if you remove it, the mattress police will come for you

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

One day you will wish you had it

5. Duck

Duck
    from Pasco, WA

One night after a show some guy started up his model A in gear in the parking lot, almost hit my dad's Merc....would have been bad for both...

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes you need a neutral safety switch with an automatic trans. If you need help figuring one out, more details will help you get the answers. Too many people have been hurt when it's not necessary.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I was in High School my "49 Rocket 88 safty switch took a dump. So I jumped it and was fine. Till I had it on the rack at the local Shell Station and the gas jocky wanted to move it off. Hard startin those 6 volt Oldsmobiles. had to give it the gas. In drive. Close to the back wall. That's been about 50 years ago and I don't think I'll do that again

8. Not required...but certainly a good idea...one day you will be glad you wired it properly

9. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY:mad::mad::mad:

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've bypassed them before as a "temporary" repair (get the damn thing started to go home), but I don't recommend it as a deliberate method.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Lokar sells a neutral start setup that goes on the transmission for less than 25 dollars. Summit racing has them ... with quick delivery for cheap money :)

12. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Had a friend pin himself to wall of his shop when he started his T bucket from the solenoid - in gear. Damned near broke his legs. Not a good idea to leave it out, for this and many other reasons.

13. In the late 70's a good friend of mine got run over at a car show by a car wihhout a switch. The guy was'nt around and the girlfriend moved the car cause the keys were in it and it was blocking somebody else that wanted to leave. My friend ended up with a shattered leg and broken ribs ( got off lucky ).So just because you think nobody else will drive the car , the real answer is you just don't know. Is it really that much trouble to put in all things considered? If you saw what i did, the answer is crystal clear.

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's a good reason they call them "accidents" instead of "intentionals"

If you work on your own cars long enough, you'll reach in thru the window and try to start one in gear. Guaranteed. I personally use neutral safeties or clutch switches.

15. prost34

prost34

i was working on a customers 35 dodge and wanted to push it forward so i moved his lokar shifter in nuetral and pushed it,the next day i reached in the window to start it to air up the air ride and it took off with the electric choke on hitting the front of my spray booth,i had enuff time to push the shifter in park,it went into reverse and hit the doors of the booth in the rear dragging me out of the booth before i jamed it into park,i just finished buffing it ,never had a clue his switch was not hooked up,,it was over in less than 30 seconds and took me a week to fix the damage to the car and my booth,o,the car was house of kolors sunset pearl,i painted it,,,again

16. prost34

prost34

my christine at her finest!! hook up the switch!

Attached Files:

17. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I was in Italy when I found out that not all european cars have a functional neutral safety switch. I was parallel parked on the hotel's drive when I cranked the engine without pushing in the clutch pedal. The car, an Opel diesel, lurched forward, nearly pinning the hotel's Moroccan groundskeeper between my car and the BMW parked in front of me. I apologized profusely and offered to buy him a new pair of shorts.

Having a neutral safety switch makes a car that much more idiot-proof.

18. I used the backup lite switch on the 54 chev I had. Just wired the purple wires to it and adjusted it to work only in the park position.

19. Wildfire

Wildfire

Can you put one in a Model A with the push the button/rod on the floor mechanism? I'm thinking "no" but I don't know too much.

20. Fenders

Fenders

I wont be trying to start the car while in drive.....

They never do.....

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Dumb idea to purposly eliminate a safety feature.

22. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

right!! famous last words!!! I've heard that several times!! I put one in every car I put together.

23. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i ran my 66 jeep into my dads 67 camerro i was lucky the carport posts stopped it before it went down a 50 bank, i just check before i start things now

24. You can bypass it but it's not that hard to rig one up using a regular brake light switch.

I'm a firm believer in them. About 25 years ago I installed a BBC in a K5 Blazer. I was adjusting the valves using a remote starter switch to bump the motor when it started. (on high idle no less)

Crushed my work bench and knocked part my garage off the foundation, along with damaging the back wall. Not to mention the new grill I had to buy for the truck.

If I'd been standing in front of it, instead of beside it, I might not be typing this now.

25. rusty28a

rusty28a

I hit a senators dad's car when I bypassed my safety switch. Take the time and put it in, just like he did me when I had to pay for his repairs!!!

26. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

Why do you think it's called a safety switch? ;)

Bob

28. How cheap do you want to be on your car? What's it take to install a new neutral safety switch? About $25.00 and a half-hour of time? Is being cheap worth being dangerous?

29. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I have to VOTE this as the H.A.M.B STUPID THREAD OF THE WEEK

30. 57blevins

57blevins
    from omaha ar

My 16 year old son ran our 57 truck though the 2 post lift backwards, with the doors open, because we hadn't wired ours up first. Pulled the hindge pockets out of both doors, bent all 4 hindges, bent both fenders into the cab, and bent the cab. It totaled the truck, we were just dead set on fixing it. That switch gets wired up before the car is cranked now. Someguys have to learn the hardway. and some can learn from others mistakes, which one do you want to be?