Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Nerf Bars - Rod & Custom Dec. 1960

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sancho, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Some neat ideas here, I like the bottom three on page 63 - "Full Width Protection".
    59.jpg
    60-61.jpg
    62-63.jpg
    64.jpg

2. 117harv

117harv

3. Well hell. Never mind, the same article was posted in the above thread in 2012 by adjustablejohnsons.
    I always worry about posting stuff that already has been. I try to search first and see if it has...

I guess once you get so much information there is bound to be some repeat. Carry on.....

4. 117harv

117harv

I just posted the link to show more on the topic, didn't know it had the same pics...oops.

Sancho likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

6. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Hey Scrap,
    That really looks the part! It Screams Hot Rod!

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have wanted a set of nerf balls ever since I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    cactus1 likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Almost 30 years ago I ran a pair of nerf bars on the rear of a flat purple '34 fiver...
    I used swap meet found, chromed, "dirt bike rack" for a pick up's "wheel ovals" ... turned them to face the rear.... today I would look for stainless so the welding of brackets doesn't booger the chrome...

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

I bought a set of motorcycle carriers as well at a swapmeet. I didn`t know what they were used for originally until I asked. I`ve always wanted a pair of nerf bars like what`s found on the Alla Cart.

Sancho likes this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the causing trouble again department.. Tubular "bumpers" on the front and rear are bumpers. Tubular bars on the sides of the car are nerfs. You nerf someone by hitting them on the side while passing. You bump folks with your front bumpers. You protect the rear of your car with rear bumpers. These old articles are like fake news, they keep spreading bad info. The functional influence is from oval track racing. Hot rodders made it decorative. Gary

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=nerf bar&facet=GA_Nav_Part:Nerf Bars and Running Boards

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=bumpers&facet=GA_Nav_Part:Bumpers

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

I edited my post for clarification. I meant balls not bars. I need a set just like I had way back when. I was the first kid on my block to get a pair. I proudly displayed them every chance I got. Nerf balls, you know? By Hasbro?

Sorry, I just felt like pulling your leg. Kidding, I mean joking. . .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Sancho likes this.