Register now to get rid of these ads!

neo patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEEBO, Oct 28, 2003.

1. reading aussie street rodder last night. NEO PATINA is this a trendy fad or should I lose the satin black on my ride

2. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

don't worry, it won't last long and soon we'll all be "out of it" again with our untrendy cars

3. Yeh I've gotta throw another coat of paint on the old gal anyway, thought it mighnt save abit of time if I just sanded it off ,whack a wanky sign on the door and go cruzin

4. macs55

macs55

I have been driving my panel for about 4 months now and it is still covered in rust more rust and just a little bit of old paint. I haven't put a fresh coat of primer on it cause I havent had about a week to of time to sand the beast down. But now that it is so trendy to have a patina paint job I'm going to quit my job and sand my life away. I'd like it to be untrendy again.

Mac [​IMG]

5. yeh back to satin paint

GO THE SUEDE BRIGADE

Attached Files:

6. =mike=

=mike=

actual patina gathered through years of relaxing / neglect is very cool . manufactured patina is not cool at all . it is an attempt at gathering the coolness of many years on the road , or on the side of the road , in a few cheap brush strokes . fake is always fake . . . and fake is never = good . unless you are talking about fake boobies , then they can sometimes be good [​IMG]

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I just sold my 51 chev truck ,I resprayed the gaurds and bonnet,but left the cab in the ORIGINAL paint,it polished up beutifully too,was cool to think that 52 years hadnt wrecked it,and it was nicely worn through where the drivers elbow hung out the window.
    The guy who bought it is having me respray the Cab.
    I was really upset to sand down this wonderful history,but Hes paying good money,so cant argue. [​IMG]
    Ive yet to see fake patina look anything like close to how it should,real old paint cant be recreated,except by waiting fifty years. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Machinos

Machinos

If someone were to hire me to create fake patina on a car, I'd just paint it with a couple different coats of lacquer and drive it through the woods for a few hours.

9. ripper

ripper

heya LEEBO, long time no see...been busy so i haven't been in the loop for a while. re: the ASR lines about neo patina, Larry goes to the US once a year & at the major events, tries to spot trends because when he gets home it's the most asked question he gets from Aussie rodders...many years ago it was pastel paint, pro street, beaters & spose now it's the neo patina, but it's just an observation of one person (albeit a clever bloke with a keen eye) & it may not be a trend to the locals. when you've been absent for 12 months then roll up again I guess some things stand out. that manufactured patina must be one of them, so too many of the more traditional styled hot rods that you might expec to be wearing primer, now many are sporting cool paint with lotsa flake & stand out 'old time' looking paint.
    i figure there's room for everyone, but yeah although i have a shiney car, next one won't be, it'll look like primer. what the current trend will be then...who knows, certainly not me. I'm generally outa step with the mainstream, but not by choice, just cos I wouldn't know fashionable if it ran me over ;-)

I think the best thing you can do is tell me you're going to leave the paint on your van as it is...and sell it to me! haha!

Oh how come you weren't at Eyre Park the other weekend? A primered Holden Van is what the show needed ;-)

cheers
    ripper

10. DrJ

DrJ

Latest trend?

Flock it.

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

GAWD dock, don't bring up flocking and carpeting. Leave that dog lay.

I kinda miss the 70's Urban Camo look. Part Metalflake blue origional color and patches of whatever color primer was handy & free on all the bodywork as you got to it. Shoot my old 70 383 in black & white and you'd swear it was a military car carefully camoflaged. In color it was 6 or 7 colors of primer blotches over the blue flake. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

patina in a can, will the gayness ever cease?

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

patina or protina.. my definition

patina - mother natures way of making it look old (that old car sitting in the field has patina)
    protina - a shops way of making it look old... (Pottets painted to look old F-1 has the protina look...)