Register now to get rid of these ads!

neglecting my shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Well, now I don't know what to do about fuel cell install.
    Got a little spooked from previous post.
    Though I have seen many fuel cells mounted on floor of trunk.
    It does seem a little unsafe.
    Almost like I should build a roll cage for it.
    I just might be in over my head on this project.:(

2. EBW

EBW

As an outsider looking in.. You are obviously concerned about the fuel cell.. That little "red flag" should be enough for you to sell it off and go the fuel tank route.

You will get to keep your trunk space, AND have peace of mind not having a fire bomb behind your seat. Hope that helped.. :cool:

3. I'm installing OE fuel tank back in, scraping fuel cell. Will still have to fill from trunk, but I can live that. I will re-work filler neck, doesn't look to difficult.
    Taking it to a radiator shop here in town who said he could patch hole that PO cut out.
    If repair is successful I will order fuel sender and make some new fuel lines.

[​IMG]

4. 4rod

4rod

good luck with the progress, another option is to get a 64-66 mustang tank and mount it into your trunk, yes youll need to make a frame and yes you will cut through the trunk...But it a good option, easy fab and access for filling your tank

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Toss the tank and buy a Comet or Mustang tank? $.02

6. Got fuel tank back today repaired, leak/pressure tested and cleaned.:D
    Will be fabing in fuel spout next.

[​IMG]

7. I recieved some parts today so i can get cracking on fuel tank install.
    Fuel sender came with some cheezy china made screws, they fell in the trash on purpose.
    Got some screws that were put on OE sender, good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about blurry pic:eek:
    [​IMG]

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

If I saw your thread earlier I would have given you the stock tank sitting behine my garage if you came and got it for free. Did you think about mustang tank? It come in 18 20 and 22 gallon sizes is higher off the ground than the stock tank. Yes you have to cut big hole in floor but well worth it. You can get them with sending units for $85 off ebay free shiping.

9. Well I appreciate the offer, Thank you.
    Yes It's been suggested a few times, but I have the tank and it should work out fine and I will still have all the trunk space. Just fixing it up like I would have in the old days. No ground up, just gonna be an old hot rod.
    However I 'am probably going to have to make a fuel neck as the remainder of the one I have is to short.
    Again thanks for the offer.:)

10. I just want to say, in the short time I have taken over this project from my son it's been an up and down process with humbleness, but I must say the HAMB has been very informative.
    Most of all, the kind people that have assisted me so far on my rookie build/fix up.

Thanks to ALL.
    Kevin

11. So after humping a football yesterday with this OE fuel tank with broken screws and a busted off easy out stuck where fuel sender goes I just threw in the towel.:eek:
    I said the hell with it and ordered an early Mustang tank.
    No more messing around and over thinking.
    Many thanks to Mr. Dickies and you other guys suggesting to just get the Mustang tank. Message received loud and clear. I wasn't trying to be stubborn, I was just trying to work with what I had. Now I can move on finally.
    Thanks for the help.

Kevin

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Here's the pictures of the mustang tank installed. I vented it with threading a brake line to the original filler tube. I saw it on here somehere.
    Trunk need washing as it has filler and primer sanding dust but you get he idea. If you need measuments let me know or from under let me know.
    IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

13. Thanks man,
    Now I just got to find that post or thread regarding vent line.

14. I'm going to be installing a mustang tank and was curious if I should put something in between tank and trunk floor, (insulation, seam sealer,) and can this affect when grounding
    for fuel gauge?

15. Started on fuel tank, it was a lot easier then I thought.
    Made a template for cut out, it worked out great.
    The fit was right on.

Next is to prep trunk, seal, undercoat, paint and then finish off tank install.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Looks like going to use strip-caulking when I secure tank.
    I was advised that mounting bolts should ground sufficiently.
    [​IMG]

17. I'm getting ready to vent my fuel tank neck after mustang tank swap and was thinking, when opening my trunk to fill with fuel could there be a possible spark from latch as I unlock it? causing a kabloom!
    Latch assembly is close to filler neck.

[​IMG]

18. I would like to shave my trunk, but don't have an English wheel.
    Does anyone have a another way of getting angle/radius or stretch for patch piece?

19. I made a little progress today.
    Started to shave the trunk and made a hand held English Wheel from a timing belt tensioner bearing and a pocket saw handle.

It has pretty decent weight to it.
    It's not the greatest, I tried it on some aluminum and thinner sheet metal
    I just have to work it longer to get the shape I'm looking for.
    Aluminum was a little easier.

Probably need to radius one side of the roller.
    I don't do anything that big right now so It will suffice for some smaller work.
    Posted some pics on start of trunk lid shave and the little English Wheel.
    My goal is to finish trunk lid next weekend if I don't have to work.

Also thanks to 4rod for the idea.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hand held little English Wheel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  20. Here's my stang tank install. I kept the original side filler and used a tube from a late model chrysler from work. Has a small tube with vent and vented cap. Fits the original rubber gasket in 1/4 panel. Made a frame around the floor, welded up the mustang filler, since the tank was new, now was the time.

Attached Files:

21. lorodz

lorodz

looks good im at this stage in my build, this helped out alot, couldnt figure out what to do with the spare tire holder .

22. I just welded a plate over mine.
    I can stow a spare in the trunk still if I take a long ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Well today I finished the patch piece on trunk lid. It's officially shaved, but didn't come out like I was hoping. I did as much research as I could find and asked the questions I had and decided to go for it.
    I'm definitely not an auto body person, but thought I could tackle this.
    I spent most of the day shaping patch piece and thought I had it right.
    Staggered my welds used a wet towel to keep it from getting to hot.

So I took a coffee break and came back to start doing a little grinding and noticed a slight indent at the top.
    It wasn't as bad as the original, but it was noticeable.:mad:
    I thought about cutting it out and staring all over, but I'm pretty sure I can use minimal body filler without turning it into a bondorama.

I'm a little frustrated as I thought it was going good, but will figure it out and move to the next phase of this project.
    Not the greatest pic's, sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 4rod

4rod

good job on the trunk Kevin...way to learn as you go...

25. Thanks again for the help Devan,
    I should be finished with it this week.
    I will post of couple of pic's with primer.:)

26. Trunk is done and primered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

You said that you are not a bodyman,but that patch you made looks fine to me.Its actually pretty good for beginner.
    If you want to learn about metalwork,i recommend you to buy Frank Sargents Key to metal bumping book.If i remember right,the first edition came out in 50's,but the metal acts today just as it did 60 yrs ago.
    Keep it up!

28. Thanks very much,

Probably the most difficult part was shaping, stretching and keeping the patch piece from warping when welding.
    I diffidently learned alot from this job.
    I certainly will check out that book you recommended.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

All's well that ends well.

30. Just a little more progress, hope to fire her up this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]