Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neglected-Overlooked V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

How about the Ford V-10 and add 5 two barrels to get rid of computer?

2. We have a pretty good Pontiac tech thread, but to sum them up basically, all Pontiac V8s stem from the same basic design, and after 1958 they come in two variations - large journal (326-350-389-400) and small journal (421-428-455). I don't count the late low-deck 301, those were made so cheap they were junk from the start. The only reason you see the 1963 and older motors less often is you're somewhat limited in trans choices, the manual bell is fairly scarce and without an expensive adapter the only auto choice is the Hydramatic.

3. 62chevrolet

62chevrolet

I think the 302 dz chevy motors are a bit overlooked. I like them, but then again all I hear is "nah go for a 350". I've been working on a 63 nova hardtop. I wanna drop a 302 chev in it so bad, but everyone puts me down when I bring it up....I'll just have to build it right and eat a few 350's maybe???

4. dmw56

dmw56

AMCs 2nd generation. Great heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 55chevr

55chevr

One engine you never see and for good reasons is the Cadillac 4-6-8 ... I wonder what GM was thinking when they came up with this dog.

6. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

there's nothing wrong with the engine it's self, it's the computer used for the 4-6-8 part.. clip a wire and it's a great engine...it's in the same family as the 472-500.. Good ol' 368 Cadillac...

7. Weasel

Weasel

Little Daimler hemi is actually a 2.5 litre. Also there was it's bigger brother the 4.5 litre which came in the Daimler Majestic Major and DR450 limos.

Limey Steve's roadster has the bigger Daimler. Here's a 4.5 litre:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

Here is the Brazilian Simca EmiSul - a hemi headed Ford V8-60 derivative which was in certain Brazilian Simca models from 1964 to 1968:

[​IMG]

9. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

thank you, i was just thinking of the buick 300's. don't know much about 'em, but for some reason they came to mind. prolly cause when i was in high school, i worked at a retirement center doing grounds maint and one the old folks had '67 4-door buick special that i lusted after, still do to some extent.

10. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

another one i'm thinkin, it's a bit obscure and good luck finding one at aprice you can afford, but,the ALFA Romeo 2.5 v8, that they ran in the Montreal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 55chevr

55chevr

Left turn you are right about the 368. It is only a doq in the 6 cylinder mode ... A really good engine that is never used is the 500 Cadillac engine ... strong dependable engine ... there isnt much speed equipment around but it would make a nice engine with 6 tow barrels on a log manifold backed up with turbo 400.

Joe

12. My pants feel funny.

[​IMG]

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those 70s little Chevy V8s are 262 CID. My wife's Grandmother had one in a 75 Nove 2door with a floor-shiftd 3-speed transmission and bench seat. She said it was a special order...no sh*t! The cheapest V8 they could get.

14. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Good lord.

You missed a whole lot.

Buick 350, lighter than any smallblock and tons of grunt. I've got one in my truck.

Olds 403, ditch the smog gak and put on a set of 330 heads on it and it's a beast. Don't listen to people who say it's got a weak block.

Pontiac 350HO, 325hp stock but it get's pulled a lot because of the "just put in a 400" mentality.

Pontiac 421, 370hp and a torque monster, overlooked thanks to the 455.

Pontiac OHC six, beautiful engine, cousin of the 250 Chevy lots of power in the sprint version.

Buick, Pontiac and Olds 455's.

15. Mac3455

Mac3455

The 61 thru 63 aluminum olds / buick's are seldom seen ane can be stroked with the 64 aluminum heads and crank; 300 horse and 350 pounds! They look good in an open car and are adaptable to T5's ect. they have one more advantage and thats if you have armstrong old school steering.

16. In all discussions of Ford V8 engines, it is extremely important to understand that Ford, unlike its competitors at the time, did not have just small block and big block engines. Ford engines generally came in three size ranges, sized to best suit the application (FORD-LINC-MERC).

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember Merc ever having it's own engine. Maybe a stroked Ford or a down sized Lincoln. Which engines were not either small or Big blocks? This of course ignores what a 351 is in relation to a 302/289. FEs and MELs and 385 Big blocks can be confusing and where would you put the 400M? Why did I think I was helping here?

18. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I thought the M series were related to the Cleveland motors.

Shawn

19. The MEL Series (383-410-430) was unique to MERC-LINC-EDSEL (other than the 59-60 J-BIRD). LINC only used the 430/462. The 410 FE was unique as the 256 Y-BLOCK.

There is NO 400M. The 335 Series ran 351C-351M-400.

The last alpha character of the 351 identified it as to what engine series it belonged to-

351C (Cleveland)
    351W (Windsor)
    351M (Modified)- That being it was a de-stroked 400 so as to be able to use the same block in both engine sizes.

20. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

My personal favorites are the Buick, Olds and Caddy engines of the '50's.

21. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

472/500 Caddies are torque monsters.. There are actually some pretty cool parts for 'em too now.. I want to leave one attached to the Eldo transaxle (just a TH400 mounted funny) and mount it in the bed of a 50's pick up... w/ a huffer. It would be totally awesome..

22. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Volvo b36 is totaly froget engine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were used in miltary vecels and small distrubtions trucks on late 50's and early 60's

[​IMG]

Her's a volvo snabbe that used Volvo B36

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I did not forget the Volvo B36. I would have had to know it exsisted first before I could forget it. That goes for some of these other engines also. But I would love to see any one of them on the salt at full chat.

24. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I wish this thread included 6 cyl engines in the the title, because by far the most neglected engine with great potential is the Ford 240"- 300" six. If you think about it, almost every American car manufacturer was an inline engine company for the most part till the `50's. How on earth does a comapratively huge displacement engine with seven mains and twelve ports get overlooked? Ford people have watched thousands of early Fords get the bastardization treatment from the "squeaky leaky" GM parts bins while the perfect Stovebolt replacement engine languishes unused under the hoods of millions of Ford trucks and vans. What, some kind of double standard here? Seriously the big Ford six solves all the same kind of so called problems that people bitch about when they dump a Flathead for an sbc etc. The Ford six has 300,000 mile durability (and that's hard working miles). Free breathing head, lots of cubes, modern trans compatability, insert bearings and good seals. Anyone of you inliners that does'nt take a hard look at the Ford six is just plain cheating theirself or you are prejudiced. C'mon hotrodders sticking the enemy's fantastic powerplant in your timeless classic won't hurt a bit will it? You can even fashion little bowtie and pentastar emblems to stick on the valvecover too. Tell your friends that you're really a GM or Chrysler guy but you had this 300 six sitting your garage doing nothing. I'd love to hear it go that way for a change!

25. cool thread :)

26. Abomination

Abomination

You can ask us questions about the 318 Poly here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/318poly/

Here's a pic of flatoz's car running one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mopar has a strong following, all right. We're out there, and usually don't reply to BS like "The mating call of a Mopar engine, 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-Vroom." - WTF, man?

~Jason

27. I agree, I have a 63 with this engine. Good as long as you don't want speed parts

28. Thumper

Thumper

429- 460 Ford

29. yardgoat

yardgoat

BEST MOTOR is one that runs on first spin and can carry my big butt around.I love em ALL...........................YG (harder to find the better)

30. pdq67

pdq67

Every seem's to have forgotten about the old Pontiac Sprint SOHC 6-banger w/ factiory split exhaust manifolds and a Q-Jet STOCK.

And I'd love to make a MODERN version of two heads!!

The 318 Poly and the Jeep SOHC 6-banger w/ just 6 cam lobes on it's cam!!

I think that it is really ironic when somebody repop's a hemi-head and the SOB is a wedge!! That and a NEW 5.0 has about the b&s of a reworked 289" Stude V-8!! NOT 4"x3"!!

Same deal w/ new 409 heads w/ 1.70 ratio BB rockers instead of 1.75 like stock.

BUT nobody will make a MODERN 318 poly head!!! Or a head w/ a MODERN Jag. May chamber shape in it!

pdq67