Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods need your opinion about selling my hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflataddict, Oct 21, 2009.

1. So unfortunately I am in a very tight spot financially right now and have to sell my hot rod in hopes that I can save myself from losing my house and keep my family with a roof over their heads. My question to you is this due to me being broke and scraping by with no extra money or credit cards to help. How should I go about selling my hot rod which needs the following work done? The front spring perch welds are cracking and need to be re-welded easy fix yes, but I have no friends with welders near by and I don’t have a welder myself nor would trust my welds with this part of the car. Second I cant tow it to some one with a welder because I have the front end partially apart because one of the kingpins needs to be replaced and from my understanding this requires boring and buying a replacement kit (which I cant afford) so would I be loosing a lot of money had these 2 things been fixed? Should I just sell it “as is” stating the issues that need to be addressed? Thanks for any suggestions you all may have. Below is the car I need to sell.

Attached Files:

2. Time for a rummage sale. Serious. Find EVERYTHING you don't need and start selling. If it isn't nailed down SELL IT. The kids and cat should be afraid they are next!!! Then, get the parts ordered to make the car run. You can then sell it for MUCH more than a broken hot rod would fetch.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Ask a local hamber to come over and repair it for you, then he will be liable for the integrity of the welds etc.

Or yeah - sell it as is.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would go the T-man approach first..if that dont pan out than list it..

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

This is exactly what I would do. Find the money to fix it somehow. Call in favors. Someone you know knows someone with a welder. But the price difference you will get with the fixed parts will be more than the investment to get them fixed in most cases.

6. Geoffrey

Geoffrey

fix it up. if i came to look at a car and saw the spring perch was cracked i would think the rest of the car is cracked too. im sorry to hear that it has to be sold but it does give you a reason to build a better one later down the road- Geoffrey

7. mrdodge

mrdodge

Have been in this exact situation so I know how it feels. Get the car fixed. It's worth way more going than not. Sell anything you have to, to get it fixed. At least your priorities are right. House & family come first. You will get another car (it took me five years to get another) so just look at it as a temporary setback. Good luck.:)

8. Swifster

Swifster

Fix the car. A 'project' car will sell for considerably less than a driveable one. Good luck to you.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I gotta tell ya, it kinda bugs me when someone has a need and their location is some silly answer, as opposed to a real location. Dude, if you live in Tucson, I would gladly come over with my welders and fix you right up.
    Tell us where you live, probably get a Hamber to help you out somehow. Unless you really do live on the salt flats, then hell, thats cool!

Hope your finances get better, do what you can to get the car running and keep it!

10. Ditto, where you located.

11. Kramer

Kramer

From his profile I would guess Salt Lake City, Utah area.????

12. what they all said. sorry you gotter sell, good luck.

13. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I love my car but my family comes first ALL the time. Sorry you gotta sell, but there's not a damn thing wrong with a man doing what he has to do to provide for his family. I'm sure a local HAMBer would weld the perch for you, if you were in central Cal I would weld it or help you find someone who could. Worst comes to worst, do you have a buddy that will loan you a few hundred $$ to get the car safe and sellable? Then kick the cash back to him after you sell the car. Good luck man, I seriously applaud you for your choice.

14. You've gotta fix it, dude. Fix it and set your price higher than you need so there's wiggle room. The seller will feel like he/she got a deal and you'll know you got what it's worth. I sold a car using a paid ad on "Carsonline.com" b/c it was a little pricier than most Hambers were ready to pay. Make sure you get or take good photos and have your receipts and paperwork in order. Kudos on your priorities, BTW. There will be other cars.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check your local Yellow Pages there are usually welder services that are Mobile.

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Cars will come and go.
    Family stays and cleans out the fridge for ever.
    Let us know where you are ,really and I'm shure, from what I've seen here, you'll have more help than you can stand.
    A friend of mine once told me as I was sinking," Dont deny me the honor of helping a friend."
    Well,,,,,,,,,

17. Muttley

Muttley

There has got to be a HAMBer with a welder in your area.

18. roundvalley

roundvalley

Where are all the THROTTLERS car club members of Salt Lake City when someone needs a little help???

19. mj40's

mj40's

I see you are a member of the Utah Hambers. Post there as well.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Fix it, or sell it as is? That's the question. My opinion; Anybody that wants that car, that knows anything about hot rods, won't pay you a dime more if the cracks are re-welded or the kingpins are new (or not). If you don't know anybody that is willing to come over and do it for free, then your option is sell it like it is, or pay a welding shop to do it, leaving the possibility of recouping your investment in doubt. It's my guess that if your local club members don't want to help you that they are just hanging back, hoping to steal your car from you.

I would decide what the car is worth (to me) and not sell it for a dime less.

21. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Like 29nash says, a car guy will know what to do with it and how to fix it and what it will cost. Be honest and straight forward and list it wherever you can get the most exposure. It sounds like time is an issue for you so just do it, you can always build another rod when you get back on your feet. Times have been tough and you are not alone. I get concerned reading some of the comments online about buying and selling but most of my experience has been good and the buyer and seller are happy with the deal as long as everything is upfront and on the table. JMHO...

22. If you really can't get someone to weld it up and fix the kingpin, then just sell it as is. Fixing it takes time and money you may not have. I have let more than one car go because I needed a house or something for the family. You can always build another car down the road. Good luck. Pat.

23. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

so you are telling him to ask a favor of someone here, then place liability on the guy doing him the solid? harsh

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Man it breaks my heart to see you in this situation. I really wish i could help you, if only i was closer!!

GOOD LUCK MAN!!

Ian

25. Maybe Obama can help. he loves hot rodders!(not!)

26. Just kidding, that piece of shit won't help you. If you were local, I'd weld it up for ya. I wish there was some way to fix the problems forcing you to sell, but I am facing the same things myself.

27. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

It would be cool if we could just do cars on the HAMB and not have to deal with some dumb ass calling the president a piece of shit. Keep your stupid politics to yourself.

28. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am really stuck in a hard place. I don’t know anyone to ask, the ones I do know I haven’t talked to in a long time to ask any favors or they are too far away to help. Besides I am just flat broke and can’t pay to repair, but I do feel what you are saying that I could fetch more if it was all fixed. Damn, I don’t know what to do. I sure wish I could take back the last 3 years of my life and the hole I dug myself into. Thanks again for the well wishes and all I do appreciate it and to those that PM'd me I will respond shortly.

29. Boys, keeping a roof over one's head and food on the table is ALWAYS the Number One priority with anyone with a brain. Cars and other possessions are just THINGS that can be replaced, or bought back, later on. Sell the car as-is, tell the buyer what it needs, take car of your NEEDS, and move on. There are ALWAYS other cars and projects down the road, literally. Don't risk your family's well-being, safety, and health for the sake of a damn car. There are LOTS of cars. Only ONE family. Take care of them first.

I'm really surprised to see such a question even being posed!

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't try to sell that car using that artsy pose you posted here. A good front, rear, both sides and stand back quarter views will sell the car by style. Artsy is just artsy.
    Best of luck. I recommend getting the fixes done before selling it too. Being dead and broken can cut the price by 30-50%.