Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need your expert advice on flathead carb/manifold, heads.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 12, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Looking to put aluminum heads, 2 deuces on my 46 ford. Which heads are better than others? Also which intake is good? Are the Speedway 97 carbs a good choice or the Edelbrock 94's? Thanks in advance!

2. Well everyone's heads are the best. When I still was running my own flatheads I was partial to Offenhauser parts.

Can't give you any advice on the carbs I am not impressed with either company, so anything I would say would be based on bias.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started my fathead for the first time a week or so ago. 3 regular 97's (not the big 97) from Clive in England. Work perfect, no leaks, holds idle fast, couldn't be happier with the carbs choice. My only change will be losing the progressive linkage and running all three together I think.

Navarro blower heads and intake. Call the Mikes at H and H, they know what they are talking about.

If you want Stromberg 97's, buy them from Clive. http://www.stromberg-97.com/

hotrodyankee likes this.
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If I were doing another Flathead, instead of either of your chosen carbs, I'd get a good set of used Strombergs and rebuild them. If money were no object I'd get a new set of "genuine" reproduction Strombergs.

hotrodyankee likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

heads just by themselves won't make much power change, but do make a large difference in the cooling of your car. I like Offenhauser just based on their appearance.
    Stromberg does not have and provisions for vacuum. If you need a ported vacuum, then run the Holley/Ford

hotrodyankee likes this.
  6. Jet96

Jet96
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from WY

I've heard the original Edelbrock Slingshots weren't that great, so if you run across one let me know and I'll put it in my pile o' stuff...:rolleyes: As for original question, Navarro heads and intake if $ is no biggie.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  7. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

I see that some 2 deuce manifolds have a open heat cross over, and some are blocked off. As I'm using this car as a good cruiser, does it make a difference which one? Is the heat cross over for initial warm up?

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only heat my flathead intake gets is from that 8 cylinder furnace it's bolted to. From my limited experience with flatheads, you don't hear the words "initial warm up" very often. More likely is "subsequent cool down".

hotrodyankee likes this.
  9. dan c

dan c

i like a single 4bbl for ease of tuning, but hot rod mag did a test a few years back and found that vic's slingshot was one of the best intakes available. i've always used 94s due to availability and cost, and have been quite happy with offy "425" heads--good looks, quality and breathing at a decent price!

hotrodyankee likes this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

hotrodyankee likes this.
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were looking at a new set of 8BA Navarro heads recently and the combustion chambers are fairly as rough cast, the chambers did not line up with the "Best" brand head gaskets evenly and a couple of water holes at the ends did not line up squarely with the head gaskets either, they might seal. Will try and get some picture soon.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  12. carbking

carbking

No comment on the heads, not my field.

As to carbs:

Original Strombergs from 1935 to 1938 and rebuild, the new replacements from Clive in England, or my choice, Carters; ALL would be a better choice than the ones you mention. If you want Holley 94's, originals are not quite "a dime for a dozen", but not much more than that. No need to buy reproductions. As to the vacuum on the Strombergs, the posting above that states the 1935-1938 did not have a vacuum provision is true; however Stromberg offered replacements in the 1940's that did have the provision for vacuum.

Jon.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  13. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Can't decide if I should go with 2 deuces or 3. The engine is a stock rebuild. will be running a progressive linkage. What ya think? Thanks.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi, mine were blower heads (lower compression) and neatly CNC'd in the chambers, I did deck them slightly but as a fine tune for my compression ratio rather than to correct a problem with them. All of my Navarro equipment has been excellent so far.

As for the 97's, they might cost a bit more than buying them from the free shipping folks but I have wasted a lot of money in my buying discount parts.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  15. From my reading and stuff, stock heads milled about .040 will give you tabout the same compression as aluminum heads that do hold more water than stock. Clive's 97's are probably the best bet. Three deuces on a stock rebuild might be a bit much for just cruising around. If you want the look, run on the center and block of the two end carbs.
    I run a holley 390 4 bbl on mine and it works just fine out of the box.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you run two, direct linkage. I have a pair of 48's that were built by Uncle max that will be going on a stock French flathead linkages linked together. With 3, center with idle circut, and outboards no idle circut & set up as progessive. If you lucky enough to find three 81's, they could all be linked together too. Those cores are running 175-225 each:eek:

hotrodyankee likes this.
  17. carbking

carbking

On a basically stock rebuild, two would probably be the best bet; and don't even consider progressive linkage on two.......solid only!

Jon.

hotrodyankee likes this.