Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need wiring help in Austin area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gigem, Jan 21, 2021.

1. gigem

gigem

I hate wiring, and I suck at it. I need someone to rewire a slightly Off Topic pickup truck in the Austin area.

No AC, no heat, no stereo, no fuel injection, no computers, no LED'S. Truck runs and drives now, but the hack wiring (complete with wire nuts) isn't cutting it.. Should be simple for someone who likes doing wiring.

Have I mentioned that I hate it and suck at it?

Thanks for any ideas or referrals.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. warhorseracing, i.rant and Packrat like this.
  3. gigem

gigem

Thanks. I should also mention that my time is limited to spurts, as I am the main caregiver for my wife who is in the late stages of ALS. I can do some stuff, but I'm afraid I would have issues tackling this with constant interruptions.

pprather likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Attend to your wife and get a wiring kit. They come with written labels all over the wires as to where they go so even if you leave them for a long stretch,you should still be able to pick up where you left off if you have a simple wiring harness. My problem lies in using the left over pieces for some other application where the labels mean nothing later.

i.rant likes this.

5. ahshoe

ahshoe

If you were closer I would do it for you for free. My father had ALS. You do have your hands full. Wish you the best

6. gigem

gigem

Thanks. ALS is the worst. She got diagnosed not quite 4 years ago. Tracheostomy 18 months ago. Basically a quadriplegic now. If this disease isn't your worst nightmare, I don't know what is.

7. belair

belair

Wish I was closer. It really is easy. I think of it as plumbing. Aren't all you Aggies engineers? Only guys I had any experience with in Austin was Crushproof. I was very pleased. That was several years ago, however. God bless you and your wife.

Budget36 likes this.
  8. Gigem, by your avatar I presume you were a U.S. Marine.;) YOU CAN DO THIS MARINE!:mad: If you were not you can still do this even with interruptions. Rebel Wire is an Alliance Member and will cut you a discount plus every wire is labeled every few feet so if you get distracted it will be easy to pick up where you left off. I will second the referral to Rebel Wire as that is what is going in my '51 Ford Custom. Do not get discouraged and attempt it as it sounds easy with no accessories. Take care of your wife first,:cool: and do the wiring when you have time.

Budget36 likes this.
  9. gigem

gigem

Aggie, not a Marine.

Thanks all. When I can sneak a few minutes in the garage to work on this truck it is therapy. And it runs now, so just letting it idle in the garage feels good.

Maybe I'll just deal with the wiring rats nest later.

Working on this project in my head is also therapy.

Thanks.

Budget36 and Baumi like this.
  10. doubleduece

doubleduece

Wiring kit is the way to go.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gigem,
    Kudos for you caring for your wife. Many of us have had to be or know someone who is a caregiver to a loved one. Wiring isn't my strong suit but I did completely rewire my '39 p/u with a Rebel kit. This was after I let the smoke out of the original 6 volt wiring. I did initially patch the old 6 volt wiring but finally bit the bullet for the rewire project and conversion to 12 volt. To be honest I had the help of a much more knowledgeable friend but the Rebel kit was straight forward and I'm sure I could have completed the task on my own with no problems. Hang in there and don't be afraid to jump in when your care giving duties allow you some time. And as always, there are a bunch of HAMB'rs who will post suggestions/solutions to any issues you might run into along with EXCELLENT tech support from Rebel. And there still may be a HAMB'r close to you you can step up and give you a hand. Good luck - we're all pulling for you.

12. Therapy is what you need and if the truck provides it then work at it as time permits.
    My wife and I cared for my mother, she passed at 93, both of her parents, mom was 82, her dad was 83. Before we married she cared for her father in law and then mother in law and finally her first husband who passed from cancer. She is an angle and we are both retired now. Her from Licensed CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant), and me as a heavy equipment operator and Military. All were able to pass at home with the exception of her mother was was hospitalized on a vent.

13. fordflambe

fordflambe

Check with Customs and Hot Rods of Andice. They are between Georgetown and Andice and on their website, they are not necessarily focused only on complete builds. Then there is always Austin Speed Shop.........

14. gigem

gigem

Austin Speed Shop it is. They had an opening so I dropped off the truck today. Head honcho Nick seems like a cool dude and drives basically the same truck as I have.

firstinsteele likes this.
  15. I had Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles in New Braunfels do a complete harness for my truck.

16. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with Mike at Cross Roads Restorations in Mancheca.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Man, id love to help. I hate wiring and suck at it too. But Rebel wire makes it easy and fun!
    Order their kit, hack everything out. you can run a section at a time, a couple hours a day and youll have it done in a week.
    I can do a vehicle in 2 days with their kit, and im NOT an electrical person. Could do it faster, but Im picky about routing wires