Register now to get rid of these ads!

need wire to make remake a harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazy_tonguezz, Jun 2, 2013.

1. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

1963 Mercury Monterey

im looking to remake my harness under my hood, for the ignition , the Previous owner had friend the harness.

the good thing is the end that goes into the fire wall is still usable , i just want to replace the wires from that point and to the starter relay , coil,ect , ide like to see if there is a company out there that has something that is close in the colors that i have.

some help locating a company that sells wire is appreciated and also what kind of wire i should use i noticed a few styles of automotive wire types.

Attached Files:

2. indyjps

indyjps

Id contact rebel wire or american autowire, see if you can send them the harness to replicate. They may already have the diagrams to make one

3. If you really want to replace it with same type wire you could try Rhode Island wire, but it could get a little pricey as I think they have a minimum.

http://www.riwire.com/

Try the HAMB guys first (tugmaster is a rebel dealer). But if your going to re wrap it then regular wire of the right gauge would work fine.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another option is to go to a salvage yard, find a big car with a lot of options, and grab the harness from under the hood of it. Chances are high that there will be plenty of the right gauge and colors to rebuild yours.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

look on EBAY. search for automotive wiring, and if you want to be specific, put the gauge of the wire in the search line. I found some good deals, with white stripes on solid colors, and also black striped wire. YnZ also sells wire at a reasonable price.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

theres a guy on ebay with good deals and lots of colors

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you just want small rolls of high quality wire go to one of the marine/boat supply houses in the area like West Marine and get marine grade wire. It will cost a bit more but you won't have to worry about the quality like you might with some wire from parts houses or hardware store automotive wire displays.

8. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

ill be searching for the ebay guy

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Waytek or Del City sell rolls of wiring in all the sizes and colors you might need, too.

10. oj

oj

I think that car came with a generator? befor you commit to an actual OEM harness i'd be thinking about an altenator upgrade and the type of altenator - like one taht looks like the generator etc - and then get the harness for what you need.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Very good point! Now why didn't I think of that, since we use both for our products where I work?

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If this is your only car build, I'd just go to a parts store and buy some bubble pack wire. It does not appear that you need a whole roll of wire. I stock wire on larger spools but I probably will use it. You don't need a 100 foot spool to repair a ten foot harness. Especially if you need diferent colors and gauges. It can be very costly to repair a ten foot harness. If you are rewiring the whole car, that's one thing. If not you may spend a lot of money and have a whole lot of wire left over. Measure what you need and get some of the proper colors and gauges that you need. JMHO

13. ^^^+++
    Even modern Fords still use the same colour wires for there basic circuits to this day. New cars use way more wire too. I've scrapped a few and keep a pile of wire in a box to scavenge. You may also consider some fusible links /fuses in your main cables. Those cars have little to no circuit protection from the battery/alt into the cabin.

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Well i went the easy way out. stopped at Deervalley auto, picked up the harness for 20 . Along with a power bench seat, the rear interior sail Chrome piece with interior light and a 63&64 horn button for 325$

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!