Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need to move fan on my Model B banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GuyW, Jul 18, 2018.

1. GuyW

GuyW

I bought a '23 T with Model B engine and trans. It came with an electric fan on the T radiator, because the channeled body and radiator make it impossible to run a fan on the water pump shaft. I checked out the cars at F.A.S.T. on July 7, and a couple of them had the fans relocated lower on a new shaft and pulley setup.

It looks like a 1909-1920 T fan setup (see pics) can be made to work, but I'm posting here to see if anyone has info about kits, common fixes, or advice on the topic of relocating the fan.

Thanx for your help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Interesting. I am building a 26 T with a flathead V8 and will probably need a similar solution to the tight package problem. The T style mount seems like it could be the answer.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Interesting problem...I don't have a solution but can suggest some parts I would have at hand if I were sitting beside that car trying to come up with an answer.
    First, '33-4 B engines had a water pump that shortened water pump and moved that pulley back one inch. This was used with a crank pulley to match and a timing cover that set back generator bracket to match...this last is the least important as very simple bracket can do that job. My thought here is that the extra inch would be handy for a double pulley setup as on the T engine pictured.
    Another possibly useful bit for this lashup would be a a '46-48 Ford fan shaft/pulley assembly...this is a non-rotating shaft with a pulley and bearing assembly mounting a fan. it would be fairly simple to shorten and mount as needed.

HAMBer Van Pelt has some parts and this nice array of pictures to give you the general idea:

[​IMG]

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_oilfilledfan-servicetips.htm

upload_2018-7-18_16-43-23.jpeg

Note that shaft on this is stationary and hence easy to mount and modify, pulley and fan rotate on it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. Bruce to the rescue, again.

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

A shroud would make a big difference. I utilized a modified steel Toyota pickup one (actually two shrouds made into one) on my 54 Plymouth. Position the shroud half way into the fan.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Stan, he wants a real fan to replace the electric ugly one.
    Shroud later.