Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need to identify this mechanical brake setup!!! 1932-33??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Mar 15, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

No,...its not Model A....there's a 32-33 axle,...so the perches have to be differnt, as you cannot use A spring perches....so,...

I'm trying to figure out what spring perches and mechanical brake system is seen here on the front end of this roadster. It appears to be a 32 front axle, but I cant make out the perches,...which i need, as well as the other mech. brake parts to the front end as i'm in the process of building and recreating this roadster which was a friend of mine's when he was a kid.

thanks in advance!!

[​IMG]

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

My guess is its all model A. Notice the brake rods are not hooked up and the wishbone bottom looks model A meaning 2 1/4 axle. I think?

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

i concur.
    looks model A to me. wierd that its not hooked up.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

5. tr12

tr12

model a 2 1/4 inch axle,looks all stock modelA
    i think
    Troy

6. Not model A, too much Drop on the ends. Possibly a little drop done to 30,31. Looks more like a 33 to me. But what do I know.

7. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well the axle is definitley a 1932 axle,...not a stock model A,..so then at the least the perches have to be something OTHER than Model A.....hence the question,....

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hmm,..ok, let me give you guys some infight into this roadster,...what you are seeing here is the detail of the driveline,...the brakes for this matter,...the reason they are NOT hooked up is because this is a roadster that ran at Muroc in the late 1930s early 40s.
    NOT model A,....
    its a different configuration,...32 axle with possibly Model A backing plates, spindles and 32, 33-34 or 35?? peches to get the rest of the mechanics to line up and work??

If there's anyone running a '32 mech brake setup feel free to post,...I need to get some solid answers to this question as this is a key part to recreating this roadster,...thanks in advance.

9. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

10. I have a complete stock heavy 32 axle including the stock manual brakes with perches next to the house. I can take some pictures of it tomorrow if you need them.

Jim

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

That would be great,....since I'm recreating this roadster I'm looking to find out what exactly is the combination here,...then I need to find it and use it!!

12. I have the original mechanical brake set up on the roadster I am putting together right now. Send me a PM if you need any other detail shots, this is a very low mileage Deuce chassis with everything intact. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

thank you very much for posting these photos,....this has really shed light on my question.

After studying the average stock model a setup of spindles, draglink, axle and mech. brake setup versus the configuration of the setup in the photograph, I'm beginning to see what goes on here,....

It looks that the spindles, drag link and possibly brake actuator IS in fact Model A,....as when you visually compare the '32 configuration and design/lines of the '32's spindle arms against the photo, they're not the same,...the drag link is clearly where it would be if it were Model A parts instead.

However, the key here is that it appears that a '32 spring perch looks to have been used,thus bringing everything up to a proper alingment as needed to compensate for the stock drop in the '32 front axle. There is even the possibility that he may have even welded a sturdy tab with a stud onto the brake actuator to alingn everything properly and raise the brake actuator up to a level stance, perpendicular to the ground, as needed to enable everything to work properly.

14. I dont think they are A spindles. Look at the picture again. The spring eye is reversed, thus lowering the car. The shocks have been removed. Looks to me like the 32 spindles were bent down to compinsate for the lowering. I had the same problem on my car when it got really low the drag link would rub the lower pulley. It is hard to see the backing plates in your picture to make a determination if 32 or A.

I agree that the 32 perches were used. But why would there be a need for additional height as the axle itself is not dropped? Looks like they mounted the linkage 180 degrees out for clearence due to the drop

15. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I see what you're getting at with the possibility of the spindle arms being 32 and just having them bent down,....the backing plate that is visable looks to have its outer rib very visable, the outer rib being like the one of a Model A, (take a look at a 32 and a model A backing plate, you'll see what I mean)....though it could just be the way the light is highlighting it?

Being that a '32 axle does have a built in drop, it was the only axle that came with a slight drop right out of the factory,...it drops from the stock A axle height approx. 1-1.5" inches....so if he was using Model A brake parts, he'd have to gain additional height so that the brake actuator that bolts to the perch and runs into the king pin site at the correct height so that it works.

16. I think you are looking at this wrong. If the 32 axle was ran with 32 perches and 32 king pins it wouldn't matter what backing plates were used. The brake linkage is tied to the 32 perches and the 32 kingpins, right? Look at the pics that Chopt 34 posted you will see that the brake rods are attached to the king pins and perches. As long as the Axle, perches and pins are from the same year the alignment would be maintained.

As far as the spindles used I looked at my A axles and 32 axle and I observed the drag link differences you noted. But looking at the photo I believe everthing is 32. "A" draglink arms are off the top of the spindle and the cross link runns over the wishbone, 32 the draglink arm is off the bottom of spindle and cross link runs over the wishbone. If they used the A spindles I would think the cross link would be way to high hitting the frame since the reversed spring was used.

PM me your email address I have some photos and measurements I would like to send you. Hope it helps

17. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Answered this question on Ford barn.com its model A with a later axle.

18. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Saw that,..thank you,...I had started to suspect it was only a later axle,...thanks for contributing,..much appreciated!

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Need a set of 1932-34 spring perches!!!!

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i dont think its 32-34 perches
    i think its model-A's with extended pieces welded or bolted on....one side looks to be different then the other ???