Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need tire chuck advice/what would H.A.M.B. do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pscott, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Pscott

Pscott

I suddenly find myself without a decent tire chuck. The chinese piece o' crap that came with the compressor shit its brains out, and none of the local tool/auto stores have anything better. More spendy and complicated maybe, but every one is a cheaply made oriental p.o.s! Where can I get a professional-grade tire inflation device?:confused::confused::confused: Thanks in advance!

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Well your just gonna have to wait til I pass on and my kids have the big garage sale to unload all the USA made Schraders and Lincolns I have stashed away here.

Seriously, yard sales, the old stuff is out here, hoarded by all us old guys.

It's a shame that you can't buy such simple things that should last forever, like the old ones do.

3. rottenrod

rottenrod

snap on mac matco

4. Schrader is the best....

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

6. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

Talk to your local tire store.Find out where they buy tire tools and equipment.Lincoln and Schrader still make them,you just wont find them at harbor freight.

7. 5window

5window

I want to know where, and how, NASCAR gets the tools to adjust air pressure un a tire to a half pound accuracy. I think I'm lucky to get a variation of only apoubnd or two with repeated testing.

8. Pscott

Pscott

Thanks guys. I'm smackin my self in the forehead with a "why didn't I think of that?" Snap On guy visits the place I work at 2-3 times a month. It's sad to think, how many well-made basic tools are not so easy to find anymore, thanks to the flood of shitty asian imports:mad:
    Viva la HAMB!

9. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

Milton brand is usually easy to find. Mine never leak, that's the only brand of fittings/coupling/blow guns I buy. search on amazon there are sellers on there.
    https://www.miltonindustries.com/

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

My friend that races go carts overfills his tires and then attaches a defalter with the huge gauge and bring his tires down to where he wants them... the tool was around $150, it also has the attachment to do two tires at once.

11. The good stuff is readily available. Check with your closest commercial truck tire dealer and get the address of their supplier. More than likely it will be Myers Tire Supply. They carry major brands like Scrader and Dill in every configuration. We sell them all the time to owner operators.

12. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

As mentioned before Milton is a good brand and I find the tire tools at NAPA stores. Surely you have a NAPA fairly close to you. They have the professional inflators for trucks with bud wheels with the built in gages.

13. Pscott

Pscott

Yeah, Milton-I saw that on amazon but was not familiar with the brand name. Our NAPA store closes at a "decent" time so they were closed by the time I stopped at the other guys. This little hick town doesn't lack for different places to buy car stuff, it's just that they carry pretty much the identical stuff! Thanks again, everyone.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

15. banjorear

banjorear

I got a nice one at Sears. Make sure you get the made in the USA version and not the overseas one. I'm sure it is made by a big name company.

I got two. The nice one is like you see at a shop. Flex tube with chrome handle and trigger. Brass air pressure gauge give you a approx. of how much air you got in what ever you are filling.

16. ray

ray
    from colorado

i guess i pay way to little attention to my air chucks. i have a few cheap ones floating around, they do the job.

i also fail to see the need for 1/2 pound accuracy.

i must be doing my hot rodding wrong because this posts reads like something from the garage journal..."i don't drive my corvette, so i spend my days checking tire pressure and picking rocks out of the tire tread".

17. I have a couple of Milton tire air chucks that keep working fine. I got them at "Orchard Supply Hardware" ("OSH") if you happen to have one of those near you. Milton is a good quality brand of air tool fittings, and I think they may be the original company that invented all the quick release air tool fittings that everybody else has been trying to copy ever since. The packages are red with black and white letters. The Milton stuff is made of brass and steel, instead of potmetal and crappy plastic like the imported ones.

I've never had a cheap import one that worked right ever! I went through a bunch of them, and wound up throwing them all in the garbage.

18. I just use cheap shit and replace them when they go bad .. I don't care enough about a half a pound.

19. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

.I was referring to the air chuck he asked about, not a gauge. But I use only milton gauges also. I also don't care about 1/2 psi accuracy, I do care about being able to leave my air chuck on my hose and not have my compressor leak down. Same reason I buy quality air fittings, well that and for safety. When a crap fitting comes out of a crap coupling at 90psi your cars/bikes/walls/face won't appreciate the $2 you saved.
    Here's where I buy my air fittings and a place for a price comparison.
    http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=023218&h=050104001

20. Pscott

Pscott

:eek: I've been outed! Now, can somebody help me choose the best rock picker? These half-ass foreign-made rock pickers just ain't cuttin' it!:p
    But seriously folks, thanks for the input. I was able to find a good deal on a high quality tire inflation tool (rock picker not included).

Attached Files:

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Milton chucks, air fittings, gauges etc. are available at your local Car Quest store and will serve you well.