Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Tips/help on sliding wires into cloth loom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonyimpala, Nov 12, 2016.

1. The car was built (engine compartment) with braided (BLACK) cloth looms and I would like to match what there now. I do not like nor will use the plastic pre-split looms. I w/b running wires to the front bumper fogs lights. I guess I can make the loom in 3 foot sections and/or spray the wire with Teflon. Any thoughts fellow HAMBer's
    Thx in Advance

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Tony, I used an electricians "pulling tape". Slide it into the loom, tape on the wires you need to be pulled into the loom and pull it out.

loudbang and gas pumper like this.
  3. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

X2. I did the same when using the cloth loom from Sac Vintage Ford with cloth wires. It's best to anticipate the total volume of your wire bundle and slightly upsize as the friction of the cloth wires is obviously more difficult than modern insulation. You can also use an awl or nail to pierce the loom at an angle in the direction that the wire will be run and then insert the wire at this point to join the others. The loom will "heal" around this piercing. Obviously take great care not to poke the other wires. This can be mapped out in advance to prevent this from happening.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.

5. thx I'll give it a try.

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

gas pumper likes this.
  7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I do a lot of stuff with McMaster. If you need it, they have it, IF you know what its actually called.

What your looking for is wrap around sleeving. Sometimes the links don't point exactly where I intend.

Looks the same as what your using but its has a split so you can route/loom your wiring and then add the sleeve.

8. You can use talcum powder to get wires slippery so you can go around tight corners.
    Nothin like purty smelling wiring!

rjones35 and loudbang like this.