Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need the ford experts 408w starting problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gameoverbuilt, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Gameoverbuilt

Gameoverbuilt
    from Oklahoma

I have a 351w based 408w stroker with a c6 Trans and 164t flexplate.

Problem is it has a horrible grinding noise when starting. I've went through a number of different starters and still have found one to fix the problem. I just put a 79 Ltd starter on and worked great for alil while now back to the same problem.

Please help lol I wanna enjoy my newly finished project

2. If I recall, Ford had two different flex plates. You'll have to find out which years had what and match it up, assuming you have no other spacers or starter plates in the mix.

3. Gameoverbuilt

Gameoverbuilt
    from Oklahoma

The starter is for a 164t flexplate. They had a 164 and 157. I got a starter bases off what the block was.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

What is your c6 out of? There is a difference in snout lengths on the starters between car and truck bellhousings. I found this out the hard way when I backed a '78 351W out of a LTD with a 4 speed out of an F-250 and tried using the car starter. Your starter may not be able to release fully, causing the grinding noise. Make sure the starter matches the trans, not the motor.

GreenMonster48 likes this.

5. I am guessing you have a flex plate problem. I had the same problem with my Roadster. Had to shim out the starter to get it to stop. Bought a new Hughes flex plate now all is good.

6. RmK57

RmK57

I can't speak for 351's, but if your using a C-6 behind a 429-460 there is different starter for auto and manual transmissions.
    The stick shift cars use a shorter snout than the automatics. I've never ever heard of spacing Ford starters. you do have the mid plate installed don't you?

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Had a coupe with a 302 / C-4 setup that kept eating starters- bendix would not disengage.Went to the local NAPA and they sold me a shim kit for short money- problem solved.A friend of mine with a 302 in a Ranchero had the same problem, told him about the shim kit, worked for him too.Kits come with 2 or 3 different thickness shims- I was amazed how little it took to make it right.Good luck with it.

8. Gameoverbuilt

Gameoverbuilt
    from Oklahoma

Idk what the c6 is out of it was already in the truck when I bought it, I used a f150 starter before and it didn't like it. I'm running the 79 Ltd starter now I put a new one from O'Reillys lastnight and it started up fine so I'll see what happens. My ignition switch was sticking as well so I ordered a ford one vs the lmc one that's in it. Hopefully it's fixed.

9. MV8

MV8
    from ATL