Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need Texas residents help/Auto Registration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom55, Nov 27, 2017.

1. I am in the middle of purchasing a custom located in CA and will have it shipped/registered here in Texas. I have read everything I can about the registration process here however I need help.
    If I register the car as a Classic, I will have to have a yearly inspection performed. If I register the car as an Antique, I slap on an ugly, state issued plate and no registration. There are however restrictions as to when and how the car is used if I go the antique route.
    For those in TX, how is your car registered? My only concern about the inspection is the windshield wiper check; this car does not have them (motor has been removed).
    I have not been on the HAMB in forever however I did perform a search already.
    Thank you

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Depends on the year of car on the wiper. Sounds odd, but if you remove the windshield it will pass without wipers (windshield is not inspected unless it is cracked or broken to the point where it interferes with wiper operation).

As far as driving with antique tags, car shows, club events, parades, maintenance. You will have to drive it a lot for that. Do not use it when stopping for groceries or any other merchandise... Dead give away it isn't being driven for the given purpose.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's exactly why I just did normal registration on my '66 F100. I don't know what to tell you about no wipers other than coming up with a temporary one. Suction cup?, magnet? with wire around the edge for a switch. Wish I could help more, but how hard would it be to get a wiper in front of the driver if you are really going to drive it more than just for shows or cruise night stuff?

4. I have antique plates on my 36 pickup. Drive it pretty much anytime/anywhere I want to and have never been stopped. If I do get stopped then I will say "going to the auto parts store a fan belt" and be semi-legal.....I really think most LEOs have more to worry about than registration of a 81 year old vehicle traveling under the speed limit....

slim38, belair and Terrible80 like this.

5. Great replies, thank you so far!

6. Antique, with 1938 year of manufacture plates....drive it anywhere and everywhere, never had a problem.

fordflambe, slim38 and Kustom55 like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Antique plates are the way to go. The restriction seems harsh, but as stated, if stopped, just say you're going to a club meeting or a car show. Yea........ lie. When I had my T Bucket, I usually got a "pass" from the police. Spun my tires with a cop behind me (swear I didn't see him) and we ended up having a conversation about the '40 P/U he was restoring. You almost have to be a total pinhead, to get on the wrong side of a cop, while driving an old car. They actually "get it". Usually.

The one time I got a ticket was for speeding on the highway and the policeman told me he probably won't show up for the court date. He didn't and case dismissed.

fordflambe likes this.
  8. belair

belair

Like my old daddy said about driving on those tags "Everywhere I go is a car show". I use mine fairly regularly, but not as a daily driver. And I'm always going to get parts or to a mechanic to get him to look at something. Used to get stopped for no front plate or inspection sticker by the cops who didn't understand the law.

9. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I had a trooper pull me over while driving a friend's car with expired antique plates. He gave me a bunch of crap about pulling up and checking the car show or the club meeting on his cell phone. The funny thing is he actually believed it was legal to drive them on Sunday, which is not in the law. He didn’t do anything but give me a warning that day. Most cops don't know the laws on this subject and don't care if you are otherwise obeying the law. I have driven my '28 with antique plates almost 3000 miles since Round Up and have gotten nothin but thumbs up and smiles from the cops.

10. One thing to remember...You must register your vehicles in the COUNTY of your residence...

Kustom55 likes this.
  11. belair

belair

^^^^^ this has pretty much been my experience.

12. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.504.htm#504.502

I added the bold, but running to the parts house or whatever should be fine. It just cannot be used for 'regular transportation' - which I was told meant, "Driving back and forth to work, on a regular basis."

Eli

13. Silverplate

Silverplate

With the antique plate you have the option to acquire a set of dated Texas plates that match your cars year. Several folks sell them. They to be inspected and obviously the number not in use. If you need a source let me know.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of antique plates and less a fan of YOM plates but if you run them don't park the rig out front of where you work in the same spot every day so the world can see it and don't do business errands in it.

I saw a mid 60's truck here in Washington with antique plates at Home Depot loading up lumber and that is another thing that draws a red flag.
    I might stick a collector car plate on the roadster I am in the process of building but that one won't go very far and every time it leaves the yard it will be for fun so I won't worry much about getting in the dog house with the law with it. The 48 is intended to be driven all over the place and I don't want hassles with some small town cop 5 states away about what he thinks about my license plate.
    What really blows the Antique plate for me is that in this state you can get an antique plate for anything over 20 years old and seeing less than stellar mid 80's cars rolling down the highway with antique plates on them ruins the whole concept of the antique plate.

Kustom55 likes this.
  15. Please share that info; I have found a few on EBay however I would like to expand my options. Thank you!

16. Awesome info, thank you. I came across that last night as well but just read it now.

17. Thanks again, everyone. I am going the antique route and will hunt down some YOM (1955) plates.

18. 55 plates should be easy. I found a matched pair of 56 plates on ebay that were brand new never licenced for 50 bux shipped I think. The older ones are harder.. The 1940 plates are expensive!

19. Damn, great deal! Currently a set of Texas 55 on Ebay are going for about $240